June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job. Possible investigation?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: JUNE JONES OR BUST!

Post by kapakahi »

uhwarriors wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:39 pm
“National Letter of Intent Day is on Feb. 2,” said UH spokesperson Dan Meisenzahl. “We need to get this position filled as soon as possible.”

So soon that the state’s largest public worker union, of which coaches are members, had to sign off on an exception to the 10-day minimum university job posting requirement.

“Given the nature of Coach Graham’s departure and the need to get a head coach in place quickly as recruiting is critical, the HGEA agreed with UH to waive the normal vacancy posting period in favor of an expedited 5-day posting,” said HGEA Executive Director Randy Perreira.
https://www.khon2.com/always-investigat ... placement/
https://twitter.com/KHONnews/status/1484025669008773121

The interview comments made by State Senator Donovan Dela Cruz clearly indicates that he has no clue about the realities of college football....much less UH football....given the very tight recruiting timeline before the Feb 2 (Wednesday) Late Signing Date.

Link

Dela Cruz obviously doesn't understand nor care to resolve the 3 biggest issues (substandard facilities; under-funded operating budget; short-fuse recruiting timeline) currently negatively affecting the UH FB program. Dela Cruz expresses false concern for the UH football program by actually achieving his own personal agenda/objective of gaining political attention.....just like he is now questioning the $250K severance payout to former HPD Chief Kealoha after-the-fact from when Dela Cruz was the City Council chairperson. Must've learned his PR tactics from sis Donalyn.

If Dela Cruz had any real concerns for the UH football program, he would've performed his due diligence research on the UH football program....much less on college football in general....to gain a thorough understanding of the UH football program and its challenges....instead of feigning concern about and questioning the integrity of UH hiring practices and procedures. Matlin clearly knows that the buck stops with him on this hire...so can't afford to make another mistake hire....which is incentive enough to comply with all UH hiring procedures.

Just because Dela Cruz is a State Senator does not mean that he ever stayed at a Holiday Inn.....but it also isn't a legitimate excuse for any State lawmaker to be ignorant of the facts associated with the UH football program that he is scrutinizing. Dela Cruz should've stuck to publishing more local restaurant guidebooks instead....'cuz he was better at it....than he is now in his current occupation.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

https://twitter.com/LarryBeilABC7/status/1483878358207266817

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I like how this "new excitement" is flowing with JJ. However, everyone need to stop with the Jones for a few years and pass the baton. That feels like "wow, never start work yet and you want me out???" If JJ 2.0 can be successful, let him stay, as long as he wants.

This is football. If his Assistants do well also and leave, that's good for them. Someone will leave, and some will get pissed, because they were not the chosen one, when JJ steps down. Just let it ride.

And when JJ's time is up, just say "thank you."

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:48 am I like how this "new excitement" is flowing with JJ. However, everyone need to stop with the Jones for a few years and pass the baton. That feels like "wow, never start work yet and you want me out???" If JJ 2.0 can be successful, let him stay, as long as he wants.

This is football. If his Assistants do well also and leave, that's good for them. Someone will leave, and some will get pissed, because they were not the chosen one, when JJ steps down. Just let it ride.

One thing JJ didn't do the first time around, was to develop assistants into future head coaches. I hope he does it this time around. Whether they leave for a HC job somewhere else or become the heir apparent, develop younger guys to become head coaches.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Irse wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:18 am
cabanalane wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:48 am I like how this "new excitement" is flowing with JJ. However, everyone need to stop with the Jones for a few years and pass the baton. That feels like "wow, never start work yet and you want me out???" If JJ 2.0 can be successful, let him stay, as long as he wants.

One thing JJ didn't do the first time around, was to develop assistants into future head coaches. I hope he does it this time around. Whether they leave for a HC job somewhere else or become the heir apparent, develop younger guys to become head coaches.
Some of the guys who continued and progressed up the coaching ladder:
DC McMackin -》HC Hawaii
DC Kevin Lempa -》DC Boston College, Maryland, Central Conn, Columbia, Boston College
Asst Coach Mike Cavanaugh -》Asst Coach Oregon St, Nebraska, Syracuse, Arizona St
Asst Coach Vantz Singletary-》 Asst Coach UT-Chat, Buffalo, Kansas, Liberty, Tenn St, Asst HC Prarie View A&M
GA Tyson Helton -》HC Western Kentucky
GA Tony Tuioti -》Asst Coach Michigan, Nebraska, Oregon
GA Keith Bhonapha -》Asst Coach Boise St, Washington, UCLA
GA Jeff Reinebold-》Asst Coach SMU, 10 years CFL DC or ST Coach

Irse

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:06 pm

Some of the guys who continued and progressed up the coaching ladder:
DC McMackin -》HC Hawaii
DC Kevin Lempa -》DC Boston College, Maryland, Central Conn, Columbia, Boston College
Asst Coach Mike Cavanaugh -》Asst Coach Oregon St, Nebraska, Syracuse, Arizona St
Asst Coach Vantz Singletary-》 Asst Coach UT-Chat, Buffalo, Kansas, Liberty, Tenn St, Asst HC Prarie View A&M
GA Tyson Helton -》HC Western Kentucky
GA Tony Tuioti -》Asst Coach Michigan, Nebraska, Oregon
GA Keith Bhonapha -》Asst Coach Boise St, Washington, UCLA
GA Jeff Reinebold-》Asst Coach SMU, 10 years CFL DC or ST Coach
Mac, Lempa and Cav were all NFL coaches before they came here. Reinebold was also on the older side and also had pro experience. Out of the other three, I think only Helton got a coaching position under June.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I think with this rebuild he should try to steal Morrison from WS. If he can get Mcknight too it would be a huge plus.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

RedZone wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:11 pm I think with this rebuild he should try to steal Morrison from WS. If he can get Mcknight too it would be a huge plus.

Morrison and McKnight were just replacement coaches to fill in for the rest of the season. Washington State got rid of the run and shoot this off-season. Brian Smith and Andre Allen both were fired.

Irse

Post by Irse »

https://twitter.com/TigerPeterson/status/1484344441200525318
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I thought he did, Rich Miano. I don't disagree with Mac as a choice, but I thought it was Miano's job, for sure.

uhwarriors

Re: BRUCE FELDMAN SAYING JONES CLOSE TO BEING HIRED

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1484539111507595266

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1484584892151128064

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

There is a problem with UH staff leaking out info. The lips of the Admin staff is too loose. HR decision supposed to be confidential. The problem goes back to Chow days. The "pretty girl" reporter (forget her name now) knew Chow was going to be fired, before the Air Force game even ended.

JJ is the easy button. Anyone else (good or bad) will but the AD's job at risk. And can't walk out shopping at Foodland.

If JJ fail to bring Hawaii back, not the AD's fault. He did want everyone "wanted."

Irse

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:09 am There is a problem with UH staff leaking out info. The lips of the Admin staff is too loose. HR decision supposed to be confidential. The problem goes back to Chow days. The "pretty girl" reporter (forget her name now) knew Chow was going to be fired, before the Air Force game even ended.

JJ is the easy button. Anyone else (good or bad) will but the AD's job at risk. And can't walk out shopping at Foodland.

If JJ fail to bring Hawaii back, not the AD's fault. He did want everyone "wanted."
If JJ fails to bring Hawaii back, I wouldn't blame Matlin anyways because I would still think that June was the smart choice.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:09 am There is a problem with UH staff leaking out info. The lips of the Admin staff is too loose. HR decision supposed to be confidential. The problem goes back to Chow days. The "pretty girl" reporter (forget her name now) knew Chow was going to be fired, before the Air Force game even ended.
Knowing how the process works, I can assure you it didn't come from UH. There are people in the know outside of UH and it came from one of them.