June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job. Possible investigation?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UH IN DUCK COUNTRY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: JUNE JONES OR BUST!

Post by UH IN DUCK COUNTRY »

As much as I love JJ, I think the landscape of CFB has passed him by. Not so much the schematics, but the whole business of it. It's all about recruiting these days and it's a young man's game. He has historically been disinterested in it and now with NIL, I'm afraid he'll be completely over his head. Like others have said, he'll need assistants who have all recruited at a high level. Klemm and Tuioti at Oregon/UCLA. Brian Smith and Stutz (just get vaccinated bro!) at Wazzou. Even Timmy at Colorado State/Nevada. The BYU coaches don't do anything for me due to their unique recruiting situation. Personally, I like Brian Smith as kind of the candidate who embodies all of the recruiting/RnS familiarity/UH connection/P5 experience.

Pipe dream staff:

HC: Brian Smith (WSU)
OC/QB: Timmy Chang (CSU/Nevada)
DC/D-Line: Ikaika Malloe (UCLA/UW)
ST/AHC: Ed Lamb (BYU)
Safeties/AHC: Rich Miano (UH)
LB: Jacob Yoro (UH)
RB: Keith Bhonapha (Boise State/UW)
WR: PJ Minaya (GA at UH)
OL: Rafael Aguilar (GA at WSU)
DBs: Abe Elimimian (UH)
Offensive Analyst/Advisor: June Jones
Director of Recruiting: Josh Omura (WSU)

Make it happen Matlin!

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:58 am I recall it was an accusation from a (female) staff that work in Athletics, and the end result was she quit her job. UH never push it because he was the football coach, and a successful one. Case closed.

Let’s move on. People change through time. Woke culture is unforgiving.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

I firmly disagree that June Jones will be in over his head, nor do I believe that the times have passed him by. For one, JJ has been a firm example of a coach who has succeeded with the pieces he has in place. There is no way he or any other coach will expect UH to "outrecruit" Oregon or USC or Utah for the commitment of a player. Unlike Chow or any other coach who have come in and expected UH to act like, be like, and function like the big schools they came from, JJ would work with the pieces in place. He will take the "underrecuited" players who wants to be here. He will take the bounce back players who have not had the best experience at the larger schools they played for. And JJ too will be able to benefit from the transfer portal. The Run and Shoot was created specifically for schools who did not have the biggest and the baddest recruits. This offense allowed for schools to level up with the best of them. Furthermore, remember past players like Devon Bess? Pisa Tinoisamoa? Colt Brennan? These were players who got to UH under very unique circumstances to say the least. Nate Ilaoa came here because of his military family being stationed out here. There are many different pieces that JJ will utilize and find success. What baffles me are those who would are so high on potential candidates who have never been a head coach or even a coordinator. These candidates have no record to indicate that they are able to take on this broken UH program other than the names they have or the years they have been with other larger programs. UH simply is not like any other school. And that might be understating the true challenges that it currently faces. Any hire made will need to come with a proven strategy. And with that proven strategy, they will need to create an organization of coaches, support, and vision that can work with the broken pieces to excite the community and make success happen. I will say it again, there is no other coach other than JJ to have shown that kind of success in all stops he has made both in the pros and in college. The initial repair of UH was his greatest story to date. And his love for Hawaii and Polynesia has been proven many times over. Hire that man. Again.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

UH IN DUCK COUNTRY wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:04 am As much as I love JJ, I think the landscape of CFB has passed him by. Not so much the schematics, but the whole business of it. It's all about recruiting these days and it's a young man's game. He has historically been disinterested in it and now with NIL, I'm afraid he'll be completely over his head. Like others have said, he'll need assistants who have all recruited at a high level. Klemm and Tuioti at Oregon/UCLA. Brian Smith and Stutz (just get vaccinated bro!) at Wazzou. Even Timmy at Colorado State/Nevada. The BYU coaches don't do anything for me due to their unique recruiting situation. Personally, I like Brian Smith as kind of the candidate who embodies all of the recruiting/RnS familiarity/UH connection/P5 experience.

Pipe dream staff:

HC: Brian Smith (WSU)
OC/QB: Timmy Chang (CSU/Nevada)
DC/D-Line: Ikaika Malloe (UCLA/UW)
ST/AHC: Ed Lamb (BYU)
Safeties/AHC: Rich Miano (UH)
LB: Jacob Yoro (UH)
RB: Keith Bhonapha (Boise State/UW)
WR: PJ Minaya (GA at UH)
OL: Rafael Aguilar (GA at WSU)
DBs: Abe Elimimian (UH)
Offensive Analyst/Advisor: June Jones
Director of Recruiting: Josh Omura (WSU)

Make it happen Matlin!
I like your thinking. My preference would be:

HC: Craig Stutzmann
Assoc. Head Coach Offense/QB: June Jones
OC: Timmy Chang
Assoc. HC/RB: Keith Bhonapha
DC/D-Line: Chad Kauha'aha'a
Assistant DC/Secondary: Kim McCloud
Assoc. HC/ST: Rich Miano
LB: Jacob Yoro
DB: Abe Elimimian

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

bigislandkurt wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:57 am I firmly disagree that June Jones will be in over his head, nor do I believe that the times have passed him by. For one, JJ has been a firm example of a coach who has succeeded with the pieces he has in place. There is no way he or any other coach will expect UH to "outrecruit" Oregon or USC or Utah for the commitment of a player. Unlike Chow or any other coach who have come in and expected UH to act like, be like, and function like the big schools they came from, JJ would work with the pieces in place. He will take the "underrecuited" players who wants to be here. He will take the bounce back players who have not had the best experience at the larger schools they played for. And JJ too will be able to benefit from the transfer portal. The Run and Shoot was created specifically for schools who did not have the biggest and the baddest recruits. This offense allowed for schools to level up with the best of them. Furthermore, remember past players like Devon Bess? Pisa Tinoisamoa? Colt Brennan? These were players who got to UH under very unique circumstances to say the least. Nate Ilaoa came here because of his military family being stationed out here. There are many different pieces that JJ will utilize and find success. What baffles me are those who would are so high on potential candidates who have never been a head coach or even a coordinator. These candidates have no record to indicate that they are able to take on this broken UH program other than the names they have or the years they have been with other larger programs. UH simply is not like any other school. And that might be understating the true challenges that it currently faces. Any hire made will need to come with a proven strategy. And with that proven strategy, they will need to create an organization of coaches, support, and vision that can work with the broken pieces to excite the community and make success happen. I will say it again, there is no other coach other than JJ to have shown that kind of success in all stops he has made both in the pros and in college. The initial repair of UH was his greatest story to date. And his love for Hawaii and Polynesia has been proven many times over. Hire that man. Again.
Well said!

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Miano's endorsement of June is significant. And, his desire to be a assistant under June is yet another sign of respect that Rich's acknowledgement that June is someone that can lead UH out of this mess. Don't fumble the ball Dave.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Matlin's not gonna hire JJ because he's afraid of JJ and has no balls. the package deal of JJ and Miano is the best option out there, and would be even better if they could get some of the other candidates to commit to joining the staff with them. But Matlin doesn't want to hire people he can't control unless they are praising the lord at every possible moment. I think we'd be fine in time with a Brian Smith or Timmy Chang, but hiring JJ would sell tickets and stop the bleeding today.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:15 pm Matlin's not gonna hire JJ because he's afraid of JJ and has no balls. the package deal of JJ and Miano is the best option out there, and would be even better if they could get some of the other candidates to commit to joining the staff with them. But Matlin doesn't want to hire people he can't control unless they are praising the lord at every possible moment. I think we'd be fine in time with a Brian Smith or Timmy Chang, but hiring JJ would sell tickets and stop the bleeding today.
You do realize Matlin was the one that hired Rolo.

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

poidog wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:15 pm Matlin's not gonna hire JJ because he's afraid of JJ and has no balls. the package deal of JJ and Miano is the best option out there, and would be even better if they could get some of the other candidates to commit to joining the staff with them. But Matlin doesn't want to hire people he can't control unless they are praising the lord at every possible moment. I think we'd be fine in time with a Brian Smith or Timmy Chang, but hiring JJ would sell tickets and stop the bleeding today.
Interesting point(s)…why would Matlin be scared of JJ? Any context you can provide? Just curious because I don’t have history on this. Thanks.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Irse wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:00 am Miano is out
https://www.khon2.com/news/miano-withdr ... une-jones/
https://twitter.com/SamSpanglerHI/status/1483541597211938817 https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1483552401030148096

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Looks like June is really pushing for the job

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/01/ ... -uh-coach/
ImageImage

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

I don’t mind JJ returning as HC. BUT like some have mentioned he needs to mentor a successor as he is getting up there in age. No offense, but how many years does he have left in him. I loved the way he embraced all of his players while he was here as HC and the players loved him back. He may be the key to heal this program and wash away all the negative things that has surrounded them the past couple months.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Irse wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:16 pm Looks like June is really pushing for the job

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/01/ ... -uh-coach/
Must've tried the more subtle approach with Matlin the last 2 times (when Chow got fired & when Rolo took the Wazzu job)....'cuz he never made any public statements then.....which turned out to be unsuccessful for him....so would make good sense to try a different approach this time around.
Last edited by kapakahi on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

When it comes to these uniquely broken times of UH football, it's not about June Jone's age. It is about his abilities and proven record to fix broken programs. There are many notable college football coaches who have coached well into their 70's. In this day and age, 67 might as well be 100 in the eyes of some folks. Fair enough. Mack Brown (70) is the coach of North Carolina. And as far as I know, his players and coaches love him. There is no sign of he letting up anytime soon. June Jones still got more than a few good years left on those tires.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul