Something to consider about those transferring

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Something to consider about those transferring

Post by BigWave96744 »

With the transfer portal it's not always bad news.
- are they a walkon seeking a Scholarship
- are they a backup and wanting to play, especially if they are a senior
- was their Scholarship not renewed thus seeking a scholarship or enrolling in a school in their home state so they can play in-state tuition

To remain competitive, coaches have always had to revoke scholarships or release walkons even from those popular among their teammates.

To me the Portal will only make P5 teams stronger and destroy mid-majors and February LOI signees. I can see less than half in the portal getting a scholarship and their career could possibly come to an end

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Something to consider about those transferring

Post by RedZone »

So far I am seeing us get more talent with stars attached to them. I always thought that there was more talent then teams to go around. Just got to find the right ones to fit your system. As for some players I think they may not find the amount of interest that some teams may have shone in the past. Teams they are leaving will have tape on them. Players who have shown talent on the field like starters will get picked up early. If they are lucky and are good enough they may end up getting play time. Players like Dru Brown will probably end up a back up to a player who that coach was really high on. I think it was a good move on their coach. With the portal we will see who other coaches around the country think could step in and help their program. So some transfers will get a bundle of offers and some will squeeze hoping to find a school to go to.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

BigWave96744 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:15 pm I can see less than half in the portal getting a scholarship and their career could possibly come to an end
and the other half will be starting at other G5 programs or will have scholarships from P5 schools.

Cordeiro - SJSU
Lockridge - South Alabama
Hunter - Liberty
Laulu - long list of P5 offers
Mardern - decent list of P5 offers
Muasau
Tavai

half means different things when the number you are dividing keeps getting bigger, however.

nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Post by nostra_808 »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIjJmYyWQAc ... name=large

have you guys read this? this was before graham resigned though. A little perspective on other reasons why players decided to transfer

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

nostra_808 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:15 am https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIjJmYyWQAc ... name=large

have you guys read this? this was before graham resigned though. A little perspective on other reasons why players decided to transfer
Right. But it's pretty much yelling into the wind at this point. Many here in charge of funding and those that manage said funds don't listen about what should and needs to be done to address why recruits choose not to come here or leave here. It's already a miracle what we accomplished what we have with what we have. Dela Cruz and Mercado Kim wants to do another investigation into UH athletics...... I say nah to that. More political grandstanding IMO. They need to work with UH not against.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:37 am
nostra_808 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:15 am https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIjJmYyWQAc ... name=large

Right. But it's pretty much yelling into the wind at this point. Many here in charge of funding and those that manage said funds don't listen about what should and needs to be done to address why recruits choose not to come here or leave here. It's already a miracle what we accomplished what we have with what we have. Dela Cruz and Mercado Kim wants to do another investigation into UH athletics...... I say nah to that. More political grandstanding IMO. They need to work with UH not against.
But another hearing/investigation is where UH, Lassner, Matlin and the BOR need to step up to the plate and hit a homerun (multiple touchdowns?) before the Senate, State, the general public, and (our useless) Governor. Advocate for more resources with a vision of what their needs are and what can be accomplished with the proper funding. Lassner could not even provide his own vision for the athletic program (sad sad sad), just because it wasn't on the agenda. Kolby Wyatt's letter is just one piece of the ammunition that they need. What we saw and heard at the first hearing was excuses and UH getting defensive. Dela Cruz and Mercado Kim came out blasting and they (for the most part) did their homework. UH has had ongoing issues with funding for decades. This we all know. This the Senators know. But brought out into the public light and on-line video, UH gave a sad display of their incompetence and lack of preparation.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

To add to my rant above, UH has brought up their budget needs to the legislature before, but usually it is somewhat behind the scenes. Dela Cruz and Mercado Kim are giving UH the golden opportunity to do so in the public light. In addition, this would be a good time to question the Senators, especially Wakai, on the future of NASED and the need for UH to have a voting representative on that board. Hiding behind the scenes does not work. If the Senators can grandstand, so can UH. But the question is, do Lassner, Matlin et al. have the ballz to do so? Someone has to rock the legislature's boat without being offensive or getting defensive.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Well written.

In the latest CO2 (Chad Owen) podcast, he said in his days, it does not matter if the weights are rusty, you still do your work. If you want to play for Hawaii (for whatever the reasons), that's what you have to accept. That's how it always was. If not, there's the mainland.

Hawaii can never compete based on $$$.

Oregon's weight room have 6 climate areas, set according to all seasons. At UH, when the weight room is too hot, you go outside.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:35 pm Well written.

In the latest CO2 (Chad Owen) podcast, he said in his days, it does not matter if the weights are rusty, you still do your work. If you want to play for Hawaii (for whatever the reasons), that's what you have to accept. That's how it always was. If not, there's the mainland.

Hawaii can never compete based on $$$.

Oregon's weight room have 6 climate areas, set according to all seasons. At UH, when the weight room is too hot, you go outside.
I agree, but you know kids these days.