Senate to meet with UH in January

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Re: Senate to meet with UH in January

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

Excerpt from the Mountain West Wire article on the Senate meeting from Attorney Michael Green:

The most interesting testimony came from prominent Honolulu-based lawyer Michael Green, who has no connections to the university beyond being a supporter. He talked about the hiring process which brought Graham to the islands and how Matlin either did no research or ignored the fact that Arizona State was willing to pay Graham $12.8 million to part ways.

Green also tried to draw a comparison between two very different scenarios, the first being Chevan Cordeiro leaving the UNLV press conference in tears because he knew he had to leave the program versus the late Colt Brennan in tears during his press conference because he was proud to be returning to the program for another year.

Green ended by saying that he has been approached by multiple players’ families to file a lawsuit against the university. He personally would not be taking on the case but warned that someone eventually will. He said that Matlin should resign from his position and that if the university needed the money to buy out Graham’s contract, there is a group of Hawaii businessmen ready to make that happen.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I'm kind of tired of this already. Either we move on with football or start Lee Cataluna's plan. Nothing good is going to come out of this. The more this drags on, the ship will sink. It's needs to be over ASAP so everyone can get back to football. IMO, the legit chance for UH Football to sail is for TG to focus on football, and not be afraid for his family to go shopping at Foodland.

What we should be talking about is who will be the starting QB.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:37 am What I watched of the meeting was the tail end where an arrogant question asked by Saiki or Sakai regarding buying out of Graham's contract. It wasn't the time or place to ask the question and it served no purpose other than to burn air time. Totally useless, ignorant and demeaning to all in attendance. I did watch Graham speak and it got blurred in his use of "I" and "We." I used those pronouns in my real world meetings by saying "we" if it was not in my area of control, it was a success or I wanted to shield someone and "I" when I needed to own up. For coach to use we and I, it left me confused because it's really his area of control and if he didn't clean up his language issues of the past he needs to say I instead of we. Also with his statement about his coaches from the past and tough love is really getting old.
Watched the entire recording now and the senator's name is Wakai. Thought the testimony was important in hearing since it seemed like it was being swept under the rug.
Hawaii a third world country because they don't have Doctor Pepper in the vending machines? :lol:

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:33 pm Hawaii a third world country because they don't have Doctor Pepper in the vending machines? :lol:
Had to laugh at that. Oh, boo hoo. Grow a pair, twerp. :roll:

Everyone knows Pepsi is far better.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

wyokie wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:44 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:33 pm Hawaii a third world country because they don't have Doctor Pepper in the vending machines? :lol:

This reminds me of staying at a 5 star hotel in Munich and two Texans face to face with one yelling at the other "I can't believe nobody speaks English!" Another ugly American in Europe. I wanted to tell these two that all Germans speak English, they just don't want to talk to you two.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:57 pm
wyokie wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:44 pm

This reminds me of staying at a 5 star hotel in Munich and two Texans face to face with one yelling at the other "I can't believe nobody speaks English!" Another ugly American in Europe. I wanted to tell these two that all Germans speak English, they just don't want to talk to you two.
LOL People are so stupid!!!! :roll:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Yo stay on topic people

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:32 pm Excerpt from the Mountain West Wire article on the Senate meeting from Attorney Michael Green:

The most interesting testimony came from prominent Honolulu-based lawyer Michael Green, who has no connections to the university beyond being a supporter. He talked about the hiring process which brought Graham to the islands and how Matlin either did no research or ignored the fact that Arizona State was willing to pay Graham $12.8 million to part ways.

Green also tried to draw a comparison between two very different scenarios, the first being Chevan Cordeiro leaving the UNLV press conference in tears because he knew he had to leave the program versus the late Colt Brennan in tears during his press conference because he was proud to be returning to the program for another year.

Green ended by saying that he has been approached by multiple players’ families to file a lawsuit against the university. He personally would not be taking on the case but warned that someone eventually will. He said that Matlin should resign from his position and that if the university needed the money to buy out Graham’s contract, there is a group of Hawaii businessmen ready to make that happen.
Lawyers are no better than politicians. They have no business poking their noses into AD business. A $12.8 million buy out is not exceptional. Many coaches are bought out for one reason or another. If a coach is terminated for just cause there is no pay out.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... dead-money

FBS schools spent over $533.6 million in dead money over 10+ years

November can be a cold and expensive month in college football. A number of coaches nationwide remain on the hot seat two-thirds of the way through the season, which has already seen eight Football Bowl Subdivision head coaches out of a job and owed dead money -- money owed to fulfill their contracts.

From Jan. 1, 2010 to Jan. 31, 2021, public universities in FBS conferences paid out more than $533.6 million in dead money to head coaches and assistant coaches in football and men's and women's basketball, according to an analysis of financial records obtained by ESPN through state open records laws.

The total does not include tens of millions of dollars in severance payments to coaches who have been fired or resigned since then, including head football coaches at Georgia Southern, LSU, TCU, Texas Tech, Akron, UConn and USC. LSU football coach Ed Orgeron, who guided the Tigers to a College Football Playoff national championship in 2019 and was then dismissed last month, is owed about $16.9 million, which will be doled out in 18 installment payments through December 2025, according to the university.

Washington State's firing of Nick Rolovich for refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine was for cause, meaning he is not owed a buyout, although Rolovich has expressed his intent to sue the university over his dismissal.
Auburn ($31.2 million) and Nebraska ($25.8 million) led the way in dead money payments, followed by Texas ($21.5 million), Ole Miss ($20.4 million) and Kansas ($20 million).

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I wonder if Pat Chun would be willing to take a pay cut and come to Hawaii.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:24 am I wonder if Pat Chun would be willing to take a pay cut and come to Hawaii.
No one wants to touch these jobs in Hawaii. HC, AD, no thanks. Not even talking about pay yet.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:30 am
Lawyers are no better than politicians. They have no business poking their noses into AD business. A $12.8 million buy out is not exceptional. Many coaches are bought out for one reason or another. If a coach is terminated for just cause there is no pay out.
Attorney Michael Green testified as a supporter of UH Athletics. In his testimony, he shared that he was approached by multiple players' families to file a lawsuit against the university. He also stated that he personally would not be taking the case but warned that someone eventually will.

You consider that "poking his nose into AD business" and not relevant to the Senate hearing?

And your comment that the $12.8 MM buy out is "not exceptional"? I think you are missing the point here. The question that needed to be asked by the AD before hiring Graham was to ask ASU why they paid Graham $12.8MM to leave? The answer could have helped Matlin in making a decision that could have avoided the current situation we are now in.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:24 am
Attorney Michael Green testified as a supporter of UH Athletics. In his testimony, he shared that he was approached by multiple players' families to file a lawsuit against the university. He also stated that he personally would not be taking the case but warned that someone eventually will.

You consider that "poking his nose into AD business" and not relevant to the Senate hearing?

And your comment that the $12.8 MM buy out is "not exceptional"? I think you are missing the point here. The question that needed to be asked by the AD before hiring Graham was to ask ASU why they paid Graham $12.8MM to leave? The answer could have helped Matlin in making a decision that could have avoided the current situation we are now in.
A supporter of UH Athletics is something like a fan, isn't it? Maybe he'll get into fisticuffs with the refs too. ASU bought him out because his win-loss ratio was no longer the exceptional ratio it had been his first three years. Buying out a coach's contract is extremely common. I simply wouldn't go down that rabbit hole, because this remedy does not always fix the problem. In fact, it has already been proven disastrous here in Hawaii. jmho

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:28 pm
wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:24 am

A supporter of UH Athletics is something like a fan, isn't it? Maybe he'll get into fisticuffs with the refs too. ASU bought him out because his win-loss ratio was no longer the exceptional ratio it had been his first three years. Buying out a coach's contract is extremely common. I simply wouldn't go down that rabbit hole, because this remedy does not always fix the problem. In fact, it has already been proven disastrous here in Hawaii. jmho
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I like this reply. Maybe the TG issues is sort of like COVID, meaning it only shine light on problems that were already there.

We should have already known that many of us can work remotely at home. We really don't need that many employees at the bank. Restaurants have too much floor space. And Amazon.com is king.

I always believe June Jones did not leave Hawaii because there was no soap in the dispensers in the locker room. JJ left because he knew he (UH) could not repeat and get back to the "elite" Sugar Bowl status. Bob Wagner should have left UH. He beat the unbeatable BYU twice. WAC champion, and won the Holiday Bowl (when it meant something in the WAC). Instead he was fired for having a bad season.

Perhaps Rolo knew the status of the team. It was time for his boys to pack up and leave town. Get out while you can.

Let's assume that is true.

Then UH got what it deserve, in not doing their research on TG.

And TG got what he deserve, in not doing his research on UH.

Maybe the Senate is right. There are major problems with UH Athletics (TG just brought those issues to light.)

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

cabanalane wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:59 pm

I like this reply. Maybe the TG issues is sort of like COVID, meaning it only shine light on problems that were already there.

We should have already known that many of us can work remotely at home. We really don't need that many employees at the bank. Restaurants have too much floor space. And Amazon.com is king.

I always believe June Jones did not leave Hawaii because there was no soap in the dispensers in the locker room. JJ left because he knew he (UH) could not repeat and get back to the "elite" Sugar Bowl status. Bob Wagner should have left UH. He beat the unbeatable BYU twice. WAC champion, and won the Holiday Bowl (when it meant something in the WAC). Instead he was fired for having a bad season.

Perhaps Rolo knew the status of the team. It was time for his boys to pack up and leave town. Get out while you can.

Let's assume that is true.

Then UH got what it deserve, in not doing their research on TG.

And TG got what he deserve, in not doing his research on UH.

Maybe the Senate is right. There are major problems with UH Athletics (TG just brought those issues to light.)
Not just problems at UH. There is problems with level of support, knowledge and commitment to UH from the state legislature. They want, they expect UH to make a great top of the line chicken salad with chicken you-know-what. This is why JJ left, at least one of the reasons. He was tired of them dragging their feet. I always thought him leaving would spur UH and those in the capital into action. It did in some ways kinda. McMackin got a big contract to try and keep some the 2006-2007 success going, too much money IMO though. But at least that showed there's the ability to pay more than pennies when there's willingness. Also some renovations and upgrades to coaches offices and locker rooms finally started to happen. But all I think that was is doing the least amount of work while still looking like they were trying to do something. More needs to be done. Can we afford it? Probably not. What UH needs is more private donations.