Senate to meet with UH in January

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Senate to meet with UH in January

Post by cabanalane »

Senate is quick wanting to fix UH athletics. Rail issues seem to be no rush. Imagine...if the Senate (or other arms of the government) can move that quick on an issue that need solutions. Not even 30 days, no?

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

SundayJam wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:26 am
Duster wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:56 pm
cabanalane wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:48 pm Did they forget #24 Kai Kaneshiro? He only did not play for the last two games.

OK, I get it, "medical." JR Hensley missed more games in the end due to medical reasons, and still attended the banquet.
Yet, Kai shows up on the individual season stats on the website. #1 Tru Edwards and #28 Aaron Cephus are missing too, and show up in the stats. Funny thing about Cephus is that the note above the first roster listing states:

"2021 super seniors: Akina, Awaya, Azunna, Burton, Cephus, Davis, Ford, Frazier, Leavo, Matthews, Pryor, Smart, Thomas, Tonga, Tuitupou, Turner"

#54 Kalani Kamakawi`woole and #58 Kila Kamakawi`woole are not listed either.
58 Kila Kamakawiwo'ole : A red shirt freshman. Member of the scout team. Did not appear in any games.
#54 Kalani K : Appeared in two games on special teams – at Fresno State and vs. UNLV.

Aaron Cephus: Lone catch of the season was a 29-yard grab versus San Diego State.

Tru Edwards: He was a transfer student athlete who, as far as I can tell, never played a down for Hawaii.

Hawaii, under Tod Graham, has a bowl win against a top 25 team (ranked this end-of-year) and a win against an arch nemesis in a final road game this year. We would've won the Hawaii Bowl this year too. So we lost Chevan Cordeiro and Darius Muasau to SJSU and UCLA to the draft portal. I wouldn't have recommended those moves, but those players will have new opportunities to shine. While I hate to see all the potential talent leave Hawaii, I can't help but think it's the sign of the times. The portal is both a blessing and a bane.
I just looked at the stats for this past season: https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/football/stats/
Cephus appeared in 7 games, and had 7 receptions for 80 yards and 1 TD, long of 49.
Edwards appeared in 10 games, and had 5 catches for 37 yards. On ST, returned 3 kickoffs for 55 yards.
The New Mexico Bowl win was against a depleted 2020 Houston squad, and not comparable to the 12-2 2021 Houston team. Going into the New Mexico Bowl, Houston's record was 3-4: https://uhcougars.com/sports/football/schedule/2020.

Agree that the transfer portal has had a drastic impact on college athletics, but the extent of the hemorrhaging of players, including starters, may be the result of more than the existence of the transfer portal. We shall see if there is any material revelation during the informational briefing today.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:00 am Senate is quick wanting to fix UH athletics. Rail issues seem to be no rush. Imagine...if the Senate (or other arms of the government) can move that quick on an issue that need solutions. Not even 30 days, no?
Not sure what the Senate can do on rail since it's a C&C of Honolulu project. Get rid of the .5% GET surcharge?

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Senate Ways and Means Hearing on now.

Link

vailima
All-conference
All-conference

Post by vailima »

Nice, people who suck at their jobs wanna question the coach. TG gotta stand your ground

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

waiting for one of you to say that Rod York is not qualified to speak out and that his opinion is not representative of Graham's impact on local recruiting.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Michael Green getting emotional and going off.

Arcumfortis
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Arcumfortis »

I’m not sure this is a good idea. Yes the politicians have a responsibility but these things usually are a place for grandstanding. I really don’t think they have any extensive knowledge of college sports. Things are bad enough already. It is likely we will have the same coach for the next year or two. The last thing we need is politicians grandstanding and making the ESPN top ten (not really) to further diminish the reputation of the program. It seems pretty simple to me. Highly successful D1 college programs spend a lot of money. We don’t and probably can’t. I don’t know what to make of coach Graham and all the fuss recently. It doesn’t sound good - but it’s not in our best interest to make it sound worse. If the politicians want to help they should get on with building a new stadium and breathing life into the program - that would help. Publicly shaming the coach will not help. If we don’t breathe some life into the program in the next year or two I wonder if we can ever recover. Maybe the UH athletic Dept should hold some hearings and call the lame brain legislators to testify on why they can’t get simple paperwork done that was required to move the stadium forward. OK - but I digress.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Arcumfortis wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:05 pm I’m not sure this is a good idea. Yes the politicians have a responsibility but these things usually are a place for grandstanding. I really don’t think they have any extensive knowledge of college sports. Things are bad enough already. It is likely we will have the same coach for the next year or two. The last thing we need is politicians grandstanding and making the ESPN top ten (not really) to further diminish the reputation of the program. It seems pretty simple to me. Highly successful D1 college programs spend a lot of money. We don’t and probably can’t. I don’t know what to make of coach Graham and all the fuss recently. It doesn’t sound good - but it’s not in our best interest to make it sound worse. If the politicians want to help they should get on with building a new stadium and breathing life into the program - that would help. Publicly shaming the coach will not help. If we don’t breathe some life into the program in the next year or two I wonder if we can ever recover. Maybe the UH athletic Dept should hold some hearings and call the lame brain legislators to testify on why they can’t get simple paperwork done that was required to move the stadium forward. OK - but I digress.
Agree with you on that. Firing and hiring a new coach will not fix what's wrong with Hawaii football and the athletic department in general. If anything its only a band-aid. Whats really needed his funding and support from the capital and more loyalty from the fans. Lot of people like to say they are fans and support the university, but when push comes to shove they come up short.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I just watched the tail end of this meeting. Okay, nothing positive has come out after the Twitter issue other than a situation of student-athlete representation with leadership groups. I acknowledge that people are using this forum to better their own self interest, ie, free campaigning using a top issue. Disappointed that no question was posed as to how they might be addressing team pride and UH pride. They stopped short of this in their questioning. Really annoyed by the legislator that kept saying "um." I just had a hard time listening to him. Every other word was "um."

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Irse wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:45 am
uhwarriors wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:59 pm
Duster wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:00 pm
It's been reported that he will be in attendance. He is the subject of agenda item no. 2 after all:

The purpose of this informational briefing is to discuss the University of Hawaii football program including but not limited to the following:

1. Budget and cost related to coaching staff contracts.
2. Issues relating to the transfer of players.
I don't think he'll be there. He'll be "out of town on a recruiting trip". He won't want to face Donna Kim. BTW, did you see Dave Reardon's tweet below?
https://twitter.com/dave_reardon/status/1479031789486100480
I think it's currently the recruiting dead period.
Matlin and Graham zoomed. Matlin basically said he was too busy to be there. Graham pretty much said what he has been saying via media. He aint going nowhere. So we can only hope for better things to come out of this. After hearing and reading the many testimonies I think I can hope that problems voiced by some will be addressed. And that Matlin needs to do a better job. The regents and Lassiter seems to have a hands-off attitude to UH athletics. So Matlin needs to find a way to right the ship or leave. As he stated he is responsible.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

SUBMITTED WRITTEN TESTIMONY (86 pages):
https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2 ... -07-22.pdf

https://www.khon2.com/top-stories/forme ... dd-graham/
https://www.khon2.com/sports/hawaii-law ... -a-tyrant/
https://247sports.com/college/hawaii/Lo ... 80097694_2
https://theathletic.com/3057581/2022/01 ... ed_article https://twitter.com/c_shimabuku/status/1479648846841933825 https://twitter.com/Mike_SBN/status/1479651300916834306 https://twitter.com/KHONnews/status/1479679612313485313 https://twitter.com/WSN_247Sports/status/1479702155648856069 https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1479785158874218496 https://twitter.com/AHoshidaSports/status/1479683196044210176 https://twitter.com/KyleChinen/status/1479734931173507073

Link
Last edited by kapakahi on Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Derek Thomas was not a defensive starter under TG. He mostly played on special teams. It's no wonder he felt that coach stripped the love of the sport from him. IDK guys, defense has been one of the strong points these past two years. Coach Rolovich was a hug-able bear of a player-coach. Graham ain't that guy but he's still not a bad coach. He is still ASU's winning-est coach for the past few decades. He has been a winning coach for a long time at many top programs. Coach ain't perfect, but he's better than the 'solutions' that we hired to replace Wagner and McMackin. Not inviting practice team players to a bbq is not the harshest offense I've heard of. Calling a Notre Dame dance as a bit 'diggity' is also not something to howl about (reference to coach McMackin for the new guys). Losing to Notre Dame, Tulsa, Wisconsin, and BYU for McMackin...and losing to UCLA and Oregon this year for Graham...are also not damnable offenses.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

What I watched of the meeting was the tail end where an arrogant question asked by Saiki or Sakai regarding buying out of Graham's contract. It wasn't the time or place to ask the question and it served no purpose other than to burn air time. Totally useless, ignorant and demeaning to all in attendance. I did watch Graham speak and it got blurred in his use of "I" and "We." I used those pronouns in my real world meetings by saying "we" if it was not in my area of control, it was a success or I wanted to shield someone and "I" when I needed to own up. For coach to use we and I, it left me confused because it's really his area of control and if he didn't clean up his language issues of the past he needs to say I instead of we. Also with his statement about his coaches from the past and tough love is really getting old.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:48 am
uhwarriors wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:46 am I wonder if Todd Graham is going to show up.
That would be a waste of time. It's time for Lassner and Matlin to help determine which way Hawaii sports is going to go at UH. Graham, the reason why this has become an issue at UH, is just an employee of UH that should be told what's expected of him. If it's been determined that Graham has been destructive to the UH program, they should allocate the funds to buy his contract out and get a coach who will nurture the local and mainland kids so that they want to play for UH and make them winners both in football and academics.
Actually I found reading the testimonies more interesting. There is more than one story here. There is the more funding and support. Coach trying to push his religion on others. Abusive assistant coach? Denial by coach TG of using abusive language supported by some players. Coach Kim McCloud supporting coach. Some players and parents supporting coach? Players not getting help with mental health issues which seems to be acknowledged by regent. The conclusion I came to is he said vs she said. I just don’t know. Spring practice should be different and I hope they will open up practices to the public. As coach is getting more players he recruited with some of Rolo’s departing we should be seeing less disgruntled players running around. I still see the portal as being a problem for Hawaii. It will make it easier for players to experience Hawaii then move on to another team. Kind of like how players used to take recruiting trips then pick other teams but now they they get to experience a season. I am not surprised with the better players wanting to leave seeking a better opportunity. I feel that it will become the norm. In the end what worries the most is funding and support.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: