Senate to meet with UH in January

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Re: Senate to meet with UH in January

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:28 pm
A supporter of UH Athletics is something like a fan, isn't it? Maybe he'll get into fisticuffs with the refs too. ASU bought him out because his win-loss ratio was no longer the exceptional ratio it had been his first three years. Buying out a coach's contract is extremely common. I simply wouldn't go down that rabbit hole, because this remedy does not always fix the problem. In fact, it has already been proven disastrous here in Hawaii. jmho
An Attorney that has Attorney/Client privileged information from multiple players’ families of the football team (who requested he represent them to file lawsuits against the University) is more than a fan. He took the time to share his concerns by providing testimony as a supporter of the program. I have to disagree with your statement that he has “no business poking his nose into AD business”.

And ASU did not buy out Graham because of his win-loss ratio. You could find the reasons why he was paid to leave, if you bothered to take the time. Some of the ASU articles regarding their buyout of Graham’s contract were posted on other threads on this site if you wanted to spend the time to read them.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:30 pm
SundayJam wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:28 pm
A supporter of UH Athletics is something like a fan, isn't it? Maybe he'll get into fisticuffs with the refs too. ASU bought him out because his win-loss ratio was no longer the exceptional ratio it had been his first three years. Buying out a coach's contract is extremely common. I simply wouldn't go down that rabbit hole, because this remedy does not always fix the problem. In fact, it has already been proven disastrous here in Hawaii. jmho
An Attorney that has Attorney/Client privileged information from multiple players’ families of the football team (who requested he represent them to file lawsuits against the University) is more than a fan. He took the time to share his concerns by providing testimony as a supporter of the program. I have to disagree with your statement that he has “no business poking his nose into AD business”.

And ASU did not buy out Graham because of his win-loss ratio. You could find the reasons why he was paid to leave, if you bothered to take the time. Some of the ASU articles regarding their buyout of Graham’s contract were posted on other threads on this site if you wanted to spend the time to read them.
* Yes...but...he didn't represent them, did he? He did NOT take their case.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/raw-video ... fda24.html People cherry pick aspects of the firing to suit their view. This a well spoken address by the AD claiming inconsistent performance and being an average football program were just not good enough for their aspirations. He speaks very highly of coach. I gotta disagree.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

You seem to be cherry picking articles to support your beliefs. Try dig a little deeper, you can do it.

So the multiple UH football players’ families that Attorney Green mentioned in his testimony, looking to file a lawsuit against Graham and the University carries no validity with you? And have you considered the reason why Green did not take their case Is maybe because he wants to support the program, not sue it? So he offered his testimony at the hearing instead.

The well spoken address by the ASU AD, speaking very highly of the coach, kind of like AD Matlin supporting Graham at the Senate meeting? ASU AD speaks highly of the Coach then pays him $12.8MM to leave early? Okay then, have it your way.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Multiple fat-cat universities pay-off under-performing head coaches EVERY year. Under-performing for them is having a winning season but not making it to a major bowl game. Hawaii has only made it to one major bowl game in its history. ASU would like to be there on a regular basis...they still have NOT achieved that goal. Buying off head coaches is stupid...in most cases.

I appreciate the enthusiasm by fans such as yourself and Lawyer Green, but...if you actually listened to that speech by the ASU AD...and that AD speaks better than any Hawaiian bureaucrat that I've ever listened to... it's pretty clear that not being the best is the issue. Yes, he does bring up the issues of player development and staff retention. However, ASU did have some of its best years in recent memory under Todd Graham. They wanted more.

Losing a crying Chevan Cordeiro to SJSU after a loss to UNLV is a shame, if what Lawyer Green claims is true. Still, it's hard for me to draw any comparison to what went down here versus Arizona State. Our own forum members were crying for Cordeiro to be benched this season. Most forum members were coming down on me for supporting the team after the loss to UNLV. Cordeiro, being a team leader, may have persuaded some of his buddies to transfer as well, idk. Our biggest losses are Muasau to UCLA and Lau'ulu to Oklahoma. Those losses are nothing compared to what other programs have suffered in this era of the transfer portal.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1479687816837619715

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

I let this sink in before posting my 2 cents.

I thought it was amateurish for Lassner and Matlin to expect that there would be no oral testimony from anyone other than themselves, the BOR Chair or TG. Lassner and Matlin have testified before the legislature before, haven't they? If they really did not expect it, whoever prepped them failed miserably. What happens in these types of proceedings are within the public domain: https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/docs/cg/4.pdf

Lassner complaining about over an hour of unfavorable testimony came across as whiny to me. What good would it have done to have players recruited by TG and their parents orally testify? Their written testimony was received and is a matter of record. They are also not the ones who have alleged mistreatment, so they would not have added anything other than rehashing their point that TG is a wonderful coach and person. If it were a trial, then oral testimony from all side would be relevant to me. What the committees were looking at "Issues relating to the transfer of players," what would seem to be more relevant would be testimony regarding or relating to the transfers, including causes.

It was also kinda weak for a university president to play the victim by stating that he was not prepared to discuss the budget issues. Granted, item no. 1 on the Agenda and Amended Agenda stated: "Budget and cost related to coaching staff contracts." It is ambiguous since it can be interpreted as "budget . . . related to coaching staff contracts." It could have stated, instead, "Budget[,] and cost related to coaching staff contracts." Nevertheless, the Agenda and Amended Agenda also stated: "The purpose of this informational briefing is to discuss the University of Hawaii football program including but not limited to the following...." Instead of projecting a defensive air at the outset, Lassner could have provided his macro view then deferred to Matlin on budgetary items. I really don't expect the university president to know the the minutiae relating to the athletic department budget, but expect that Matlin did and does.

I did not care for Sen. Wakai's question about Matlin buying out TG if he had the funds. It still is a personnel matter, and that part of the briefing was bush.
It is apparent that there is a dichotomy within the program between student-athletes that TG's regime recruited and those who were recruited by Rolo. In some ways, it is natural since TG recruited and met with the parents of his recruits but did not have similar contact with players who were already here. TG likely made promises and representations to those parents. A chasm developed, with a mainland versus local feel to it. Sure D. Thomas came from the mainland, but he embraced the culture and even took up the ukulele. Penni unwittingly and idiotically injected herself into the situation by throwing gas on the smoldering situation by putting down D. Thomas for "not working hard enough." The "porch monkey" statement, if true, was reprehensible. The alleged statement about Hawaii being third world because vending machines do not have Dr. Pepper smacks of sarcasm more than anything else. A Texan may say the same thing about someplace in the midwest, where Coca Cola has its "Mr. Pibb" in vending machines instead of Dr. Pepper.

I believe that we need to let AD Matlin do his job. It is a personnel matter, and he was really not at liberty to say much in terms of specifics about his handling of this with TG. The situation is certainly one that requires more than just lip service. If UH and TG part ways over this, so be it. I'd contact Michael Green to look into funding the buyout if it gets to that point. You can bet that Lassner and the BOR will be following this more closely.

As for the Wahine basketball player, Matlin came out forcefully to deny the allegations with specifics. The former Men's basketball player who transferred to Azusa Pacific who took shots at Eran Ganot was pretty lame to me and reeked of sour grapes. With respect to Michael Eletise, it was heartbreaking and something should be done by UHAD or even by a Go Fund Me (Cheebs?).

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Duster....wait, what?

uhwarriors...who the hell is Bruce Friedman...sorry...Feldman?

Guys, we've got a good coach that has excelled at coaching for many good programs over the years. I don't want a repeat of Von Crappen or Norman von Chow.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Bring Norm Chow Back!!

Chow is a "good human being."

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:12 am Bring Norm Chow Back!!

Chow is a "good human being."
I actually think Norm would make a better AD than a head football coach. He has a Phd in Education. Although you look at the Lassner, Matlin and especially the BOR chair and it feels like all these people should have retired. It would be nice to see somebody younger than these stoic, stoggy, inflexible old men making decisions for future of the youth of Hawaii.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1480760882183303168

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Larry Beil is spot on. But I see it as the chicken or the egg first. No doubt there are a lot of rich people in Hawaii (local, domestic, or foreign). Mainland stadiums have elite VIP sections high on top. That would be "easy" to attract new donors to the program. They don't even have to be football fans. It's a just way to make them feel special (Elite).

Kind of hard to make the same sales pitch with TC Ching field. Maybe we need the Stadium first, before we can have the rich guys open up their wallets. Yes, us fans can donate, support, buy gear, etc. But that's not the kind of $$$ that changes the program.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/state- ... m-scandal/
Hawaii State Senator Donna Mercado Kim said if asked, the state would fund Graham’s $1.275 million buy out, or look at firing him for cause.

“If the claims made by the student athletes are legitimate claims that I think we have no option but to go ahead and buy on the contract for the health and safety of our students and for the program,” Sen Kim said.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

At one end, they said TG is one of the highest paid state employee. Then they said, he is pretty much the lowest paid college football coach. So which is it? Can't have it both ways.

A few less dropped passes, we may be 8-5 and we be talking about something else.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:49 am At one end, they said TG is one of the highest paid state employee. Then they said, he is pretty much the lowest paid college football coach. So which is it? Can't have it both ways.

A few less dropped passes, we may be 8-5 and we be talking about something else.
It can be. He may be one of the highest paid state of Hawaii employee but his pay compared to other D1 coaches is low.
ImageImage

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

ulua wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:30 am https://www.khon2.com/local-news/state- ... m-scandal/
Hawaii State Senator Donna Mercado Kim said if asked, the state would fund Graham’s $1.275 million buy out, or look at firing him for cause.

“If the claims made by the student athletes are legitimate claims that I think we have no option but to go ahead and buy on the contract for the health and safety of our students and for the program,” Sen Kim said.
LOL where has this money been? How about using this money to actually helping better the program and athletic department.