Other Reasons for Mass Exodus

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Other Reasons for Mass Exodus

Post by gpmcconnell »

Let me start out and state that I am not a Todd Graham fan. I think he has fit poorly into the culture and has made some questionable decisions (Bo Graham as O coordinator). The players clearly don’t enjoy playing for him but there are also other reasons for them transferring. A few are listed below:
1. New transfer rules allow the good players to easily move to Power conference teams and give them better exposure. I bet during the darks days of Chow we would have seen a mass exodus of players could leave without having to sit out a year. I will say the CC transfer was by far the worse look for Coach Graham because it wasn’t a step up.
2. Empty stadium - politics asides having an empty stadium for most of the season was a disgrace. Every other program had fans but we couldn’t even allow family to go to games. Some school had 100k people attend games with no known health crisis but we couldn’t allow the parents of the players come. Shame on Ige for his idiotic policy.
3. Embarrassing facilities and Stadium - most high schools have better stadiums. And even when fans are allowed no one goes to the games

BigWave96744

Re: Other Reasons for Mass Exodus

Post by BigWave96744 »

#2 & #3 is also a reason that other coaches use to sway recruits away from Hawaii. Even when Rolo was here we struggled with this

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

BigWave96744 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:46 am #2 & #3 is also a reason that other coaches use to sway recruits away from Hawaii. Even when Rolo was here we struggled with this

Hawaii was the the only team that has no fans this year. Hawaii has the worst politicians in the country. The policy made no logical sense

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

That could be reasons but transferring also is a big risk. Talking to people who know guys on the team, it's more about the coach.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Postponement of new stadium.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

Irse wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:05 am That could be reasons but transferring also is a big risk. Talking to people who know guys on the team, it's more about the coach.
I agree the coach is the biggest issue by far but the situation with the fans last year was insane

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Playing for UH could be an audition for a more lucrative roster spot on a power 5 team. A really good UH player like DM can certainly make it on programs like Colorado, UW, Oregon State, or WSU. Did you all see the offers being made to La'ulu? A roster spot on these teams mean a better football experience, but even more personally, more $$$ now that college players can be paid. Playing at UH "in front of family and friends" will only go so far in this new age of college football.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

bigislandkurt wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:59 am Playing for UH could be an audition for a more lucrative roster spot on a power 5 team. A really good UH player like DM can certainly make it on programs like Colorado, UW, Oregon State, or WSU. Did you all see the offers being made to La'ulu? A roster spot on these teams mean a better football experience, but even more personally, more $$$ now that college players can be paid. Playing at UH "in front of family and friends" will only go so far in this new age of college football.
Well said. Traveling is easier now, than the old days (I don't mean COIVD period). A lot of former Hawaii residences are living on the mainland. And those that left before now have next gen "local kids" that are not local. Mainland isn't as "bad" is it was decades ago. In fact, some local kids can perhaps be closer to more family by being on the Mainland sometimes.