Are we going to have enough players to field a team next year?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Are we going to have enough players to field a team next year?

Post by Irse »

So many leaving. Hope the bleeding stops soon.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Re: Are we going to have enough players to field a team next year?

Post by uhwarriors »

Irse wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:11 pm So many leaving. Hope the bleeding stops soon.
I don't think we'll have 85 on scholarship even with 25 initials and 7 additional for transfers going into the portal. After the Michigan game, we might not have enough to field a competitive team in conference.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Irse wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:11 pm So many leaving. Hope the bleeding stops soon.
This is no longer a bleeding cut, this is now a gushing wound that needs some serious stitching!!
With how depleted our roster is and with all the negatives, how does Hawaii sign that many players come Feb.? We going need a ton of bodies to fill
the vacancies of the players that left in the portal/no longer on the team. Is it doable? We may need to depend on walk-on's which I believe we don't have many
left on the team? At this point are their any player willing to walk on to this team next year knowing the situation?

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

uhwarriors wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:29 pm
I don't think we'll have 85 on scholarship even with 25 initials and 7 additional for transfers going into the portal. After the Michigan game, we might not have enough to field a competitive team in conference.
Do any of the December 2021 early NLI signees count toward the 2021 recruiting class/year versus 2022? If so, maybe they have a couple more initials.

Some walkons may get put on scholarship if they do not count as an initial. Is Umiamaka on scholarship?
Last edited by Duster on Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnny
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by johnny »

June Jones and Nick Rolovich both left Hawaii for more money. The $$$ guys who supplement the head coach and his staff did not step up. Look at Alabama which is one of the poorest states but they find the money to keep Nick Saban. The Governor, the Mayor, the President and the AD are all on the same page. The local boys who stayed behind to play for their family and the pride of Hawaii have collectively said enough of the BS. CC gave up his NIL contract. Sadly, I see this as the beginning of the end for UH football.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

johnny wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:12 pm June Jones and Nick Rolovich both left Hawaii for more money. The $$$ guys who supplement the head coach and his staff did not step up. Look at Alabama which is one of the poorest states but they find the money to keep Nick Saban. The Governor, the Mayor, the President and the AD are all on the same page. The local boys who stayed behind to play for their family and the pride of Hawaii have collectively said enough of the BS. CC gave up his NIL contract. Sadly, I see this as the beginning of the end for UH football.
Actually, I read/heard somewhere that CPB was going to honor the NIL deal with Chevan despite his transfer. If so, he can come on TV and annoy TG, PLG, or Bo if they happen to be watching.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Duster wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:54 pm
Do any of the December 2021 early NLI signees count toward the 2021 recruiting class/year versus 2022? If so, maybe they have a couple more initials.

Some walkons may get put on scholarship if they do not count as an initial. Is Umiamaka on scholarship?
These were the rules pre-Covid. I don't know if there were revisions due to Covid.

A mid-year transfer replacing a mid-year graduate can be counted as an initial in either the current academic year if the 25 initials weren’t used up or next academic year. So, if last year there were only 24 initials, one mid-year transfer can be counted against last year’s 25 if there was one mid-year graduate. In that case you would still have 25 initials to give out this year. So, you need to know 1) how many initials were given in the prior year and 2) how many mid-year graduates there were this year. If you know the answer to those two questions, then you know how many of the mid-year transfers are being counted against the current academic year and how many are being counted against next academic year.

Scholarships given to walkons who have been in the program for two academic years don't count as initials.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

There will always be players to fill slots. Hard to turn down a free scholie or the opportunity to participate in a D1 program.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

uhwarriors wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:34 pm

These were the rules pre-Covid. I don't know if there were revisions due to Covid.

A mid-year transfer replacing a mid-year graduate can be counted as an initial in either the current academic year if the 25 initials weren’t used up or next academic year. So, if last year there were only 24 initials, one mid-year transfer can be counted against last year’s 25 if there was one mid-year graduate. In that case you would still have 25 initials to give out this year. So, you need to know 1) how many initials were given in the prior year and 2) how many mid-year graduates there were this year. If you know the answer to those two questions, then you know how many of the mid-year transfers are being counted against the current academic year and how many are being counted against next academic year.

Scholarships given to walkons who have been in the program for two academic years don't count as initials.
Thanks uhwarriors!

Jahlani Tavai graduated, so if there were any initials left for 2021, it should go to a midyear transfer. Zach McKinney entered the transfer portal apparently as a grad transfer this time, so that opens up another initial for 2021 if there was another initial left. Khoury Bethley, Donovan Dalton, Cortez Davis, Michael Eletise (I assume he remained on scholarship), Hekili Keliiliki, Jeremiah Pritchard (unless he's returning), Jared Smart and Wyatt Tucker are others who graduated midyear. Alema Kapoi also graduated - was he on scholarship?

There were 19 signees in the 2021 class, so depending on whether any December 2020 midyears counted for 2021, there could be six available: https://hawaiiathletics.com/signingday/ ... ootball/7/. Note that Matagi Thompson and Sonny Semeatu were among the 19, and I assume that they are grayshirts enrolling now and on scholarship. Of course, if they count for 2022 and the midyear signees count for 2022 due to prior grayshirts taking up the 2021 initials, then there is less than the 25 plus 7 initials for 2022 for portal transfers - or am i missing something. In any event, there must be someone doing the math at UH.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Duster wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:09 pm

Thanks uhwarriors!

Jahlani Tavai graduated, so if there were any initials left for 2021, it should go to a midyear transfer. Zach McKinney entered the transfer portal apparently as a grad transfer this time, so that opens up another initial for 2021 if there was another initial left. Khoury Bethley, Donovan Dalton, Cortez Davis, Michael Eletise (I assume he remained on scholarship), Hekili Keliiliki, Jeremiah Pritchard (unless he's returning), Jared Smart and Wyatt Tucker are others who graduated midyear. Alema Kapoi also graduated - was he on scholarship?

There were 19 signees in the 2021 class, so depending on whether any December 2020 midyears counted for 2021, there could be six available: https://hawaiiathletics.com/signingday/ ... ootball/7/. Note that Matagi Thompson and Sonny Semeatu were among the 19, and I assume that they are grayshirts enrolling now and on scholarship. Of course, if they count for 2022 and the midyear signees count for 2022 due to prior grayshirts taking up the 2021 initials, then there is less than the 25 plus 7 initials for 2022 for portal transfers - or am i missing something. In any event, there must be someone doing the math at UH.
Hmm. Of the 2021 signing class of 19, seven signed during the early signing period in December 2020: https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2020/1 ... eriod.aspx. Eleven of the 2021 class signed in February 2021: https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2021/2 ... -2021.aspx. I know that 7 + 11 = 18, and figure that Zach McKinney, who was not a December 2020 signee, enrolled in January 2021 to make 19: https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2021/1 ... ogram.aspx. Add Tru Edwards in May 2021 to get 20: https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/05/ ... t-rounder/

There were 10 signees in December 2019: https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2019/1 ... eriod.aspx and seven signees in February 2020: https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2020/2 ... eriod.aspx. I would assume that any of them who may have grayshirted and delayed enrollment until December 2020 would count for the 2020 class.

It seems that the 2020 year did not hit the 25 max initials, and the 2021 class had 20 initials. Thus, UH may have 5 initials from the 2021 class to award to Thompson, Manuma and Semeatu and 2 midyear transfer signees, plus the full complement of 25 for 2022, plus 7 portal transfers, for 37. The 2 remaining midyear transfer initials may be for Bell, Hines and/or Kema since they are JC transfers/other and not from the transfer portal to count toward 2021. One of those three will then count toward the 25 initials for 2022.
Finau, Moore, Spencer and Ta'ase will count toward the 25 initials for 2022, leaving 20 initials, with Anusiem and Edwards counting toward the 7 transfer portal initials for 2022 and leave 5.

If my assumptions and math are correct, my WAG is that we had/have a total of 37 initials to use to bolster the depleted roster, and have added or will be adding Thompson, Manuma, Semeatu, Anusiem, Edwards, Bell, Hines, Kema, Finau, Moore, Spencer and Ta'ase, leaving 20 initials and 5 transfer portal initials (or 25 total initial scholarships).

I do not know how many scholarship players are returning, but if there are 48 or less, the entire allotment of 37 can be used. If there are less than 48, some can be awarded to deserving walkons. If there are more than 48 scholarship players returning, then each number above 48 will correspondently reduce the 37. With 8 scholarships spoken for by student-athletes with no college experience, TG is obviously going to go heavy into the JC and transfer portal to get college experienced/mature players in an effort to reload and try to win now rather than bringing in a lot more high school graduates and wait for a payoff 2-3 years down the line. TG also seems to not use up all of the scholarships allotted too, but may have to do so now. It will be interesting.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

I should add that Briski, Murray and Morgan reduces the remaining max number of 2022 initials down to 22.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Duster wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:09 pm
Duster wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:09 pm

Thanks uhwarriors!

Hmm. Of the 2021 signing class of 19, seven signed during the early signing period in December 2020: https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2020/1 ... eriod.aspx. Eleven of the 2021 class signed in February 2021: https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2021/2 ... -2021.aspx. I know that 7 + 11 = 18, and figure that Zach McKinney, who was not a December 2020 signee, enrolled in January 2021 to make 19: https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2021/1 ... ogram.aspx. Add Tru Edwards in May 2021 to get 20: https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/05/ ... t-rounder/

There were 10 signees in December 2019: https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2019/1 ... eriod.aspx and seven signees in February 2020: https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2020/2 ... eriod.aspx. I would assume that any of them who may have grayshirted and delayed enrollment until December 2020 would count for the 2020 class.

It seems that the 2020 year did not hit the 25 max initials, and the 2021 class had 20 initials. Thus, UH may have 5 initials from the 2021 class to award to Thompson, Manuma and Semeatu and 2 midyear transfer signees, plus the full complement of 25 for 2022, plus 7 portal transfers, for 37. The 2 remaining midyear transfer initials may be for Bell, Hines and/or Kema since they are JC transfers/other and not from the transfer portal to count toward 2021. One of those three will then count toward the 25 initials for 2022.
Finau, Moore, Spencer and Ta'ase will count toward the 25 initials for 2022, leaving 20 initials, with Anusiem and Edwards counting toward the 7 transfer portal initials for 2022 and leave 5.

If my assumptions and math are correct, my WAG is that we had/have a total of 37 initials to use to bolster the depleted roster, and have added or will be adding Thompson, Manuma, Semeatu, Anusiem, Edwards, Bell, Hines, Kema, Finau, Moore, Spencer and Ta'ase, leaving 20 initials and 5 transfer portal initials (or 25 total initial scholarships).

I do not know how many scholarship players are returning, but if there are 48 or less, the entire allotment of 37 can be used. If there are less than 48, some can be awarded to deserving walkons. If there are more than 48 scholarship players returning, then each number above 48 will correspondently reduce the 37. With 8 scholarships spoken for by student-athletes with no college experience, TG is obviously going to go heavy into the JC and transfer portal to get college experienced/mature players in an effort to reload and try to win now rather than bringing in a lot more high school graduates and wait for a payoff 2-3 years down the line. TG also seems to not use up all of the scholarships allotted too, but may have to do so now. It will be interesting.
I few years ago, I quit trying to figure out how many scholarships we can offer. Too complicated to figure out which year a guy is applied to.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

RedZone wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:34 pm There will always be players to fill slots. Hard to turn down a free scholie or the opportunity to participate in a D1 program.
I agree. Even local walkons will still want to play at home rather that dish out $$$ to walkon in the mainland. I

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

BigWave96744 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:37 am
RedZone wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:34 pm There will always be players to fill slots. Hard to turn down a free scholie or the opportunity to participate in a D1 program.
I agree. Even local walkons will still want to play at home rather that dish out $$$ to walkon in the mainland. I
The real issue isn't the number of players on the team. It's whether there will be enough quality (i.e. talent) to field a competitive team. Nominally that number is about 65, the number of guys on the two deep including special teams that are likely to play and also on the travel squad.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

1 month ago it looked bleak, now Twitter is blowing up with interest to want to become a Rainbow Warrior.