Matlin's excuse

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Matlin's excuse

Post by Irse »

I can see it now. After the demise of the football program, Matlin will not accept responsibility but blame covid and the transfer portal. Yes, the transfer portal has affected all programs but it's telling that none of the guys thanked Graham for being their head coach. And when Justus thanks the equipment guys and the athletic trainer but not the head coach, that is telling. I know some here will spin it as guys looking for better opportunities but it's not what they are running to but what they are running away from. https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1476012986015748096
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Matlin's excuse

Post by My3Cats »

A weak statement. From a weak man.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I mean what do you guys want Matlin or Graham to say?

Irse

Post by Irse »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:45 am I mean what do you guys want Matlin or Graham to say?
The truth would be nice.
ImageImage

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:45 am I mean what do you guys want Matlin or Graham to say?
"Dear Fans,
We understand that people are frustrated. We are, too. We understand that we have some things in our house that we need to fix. We promise that we will fix them. Things will get worse before they get better, but we will fix it. The buck stops with Coach Graham and I, and we take responsibility for the struggles of our program. Thank you for your support during these trying times - we need it more than ever.

Mahalo,
David Matlin"

See - easy to take responsibility and not deflect blame to the transfer portal and to try and make like "it ain't that bad!".

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Irse wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:04 am
The truth would be nice.
What is the truth? Who decides what the truth is?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:19 am
"Dear Fans,
We understand that people are frustrated. We are, too. We understand that we have some things in our house that we need to fix. We promise that we will fix them. Things will get worse before they get better, but we will fix it. The buck stops with Coach Graham and I, and we take responsibility for the struggles of our program. Thank you for your support during these trying times - we need it more than ever.

Mahalo,
David Matlin"

See - easy to take responsibility and not deflect blame to the transfer portal and to try and make like "it ain't that bad!".
"We can't ignore that there are areas that we need to improve on. Coach Graham and I are in constant contact and are always looking for ways to make the program better."

I mean these two sentences pretty much acknowledge there's a problem, they take responsibility, and they are trying to fix it. Some y'all need to be realistic.

Irse

Post by Irse »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:15 pm
The truth would be nice.
The truth is that our defections are not normal. We have an abnormally high number of them and all of them are not looking for more playing time. There may be a few starters from other schools entering the portal. But we have more starters entering than we have returning. Matlin keeps saying that it's normal. It's not. Name another school where they have lost the starting QB, leading rusher, leading receiver, best CB and 1st team all conference LB along with two starting Dlinemen. And I'm hearing another starter leaving.
ImageImage

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Irse wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:24 pm

The truth would be nice.
The truth is that our defections are not normal. We have an abnormally high number of them and all of them are not looking for more playing time. There may be a few starters from other schools entering the portal. But we have more starters entering than we have returning. Matlin keeps saying that it's normal. It's not. Name another school where they have lost the starting QB, leading rusher, leading receiver, best CB and 1st team all conference LB along with two starting Dlinemen. And I'm hearing another starter leaving.
All leaving at one time is unusual, I never said it wasn't. But I can name over a dozen starting Division 1 QBs transferring. Same for other positions. What we need is the truth of why. Not some half assed social media heresay allegations from anonymous sources or even from the few named sources. Come out and say it with chest. Otherwise your leaving it up to the fans, our imaginations to fill in the gaps. Like one the current players said about the Twitter space, it hurt more than it helped.

Irse

Post by Irse »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:33 pm

All leaving at one time is unusual, I never said it wasn't. But I can name over a dozen starting Division 1 QBs transferring. Same for other positions. What we need is the truth of why. Not some half assed social media heresay allegations from anonymous sources or even from the few named sources. Come out and say it with chest. Otherwise your leaving it up to the fans, our imaginations to fill in the gaps. Like one the current players said about the Twitter space, it hurt more than it helped.
Which player said that? I don't remember.
ImageImage

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Irse wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:44 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:33 pm
Which player said that? I don't remember.
Dior Scott

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Matlin is ultimately responsible. If things don’t get better he will have to go along with coach.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

I agree with all of the previous comments. Reading between the lines, there's one possible silver lining in Matlin's statement. He didn't endorse or fully back Graham and I'm hoping he did that to give himself the out that many of us are hoping for.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

The truth would be nice.
O.K. How about Wyoming. We lost 2 QBS, our #1 RB, 2 CBs, and a few other starters....for similar "reasons" as Hawaii.

Where there's smoke, there's usually a fire somewhere.

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

As someone who used to work in the athletic department...they need to do an overhaul within the athletic department itself. There needs to be a culture change. Often times they hire people who on paper look qualified but they have NO HEART, NO PASSION, no connection to the athletic program and its fans and it shows.