Graham blames transfer portal

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Graham blames transfer portal

Post by SundayJam »

Todd Graham had 3 good seasons at ASU and then 3 mediocre ones. Head coaches, in general, are bought out of their contracts all the time. Often times, it does little good. It killed our program when we did it to McMackin. The program was revived when we restored McMackin's offensive coordinator as head coach.

https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/ ... h-payouts/
During the last three off-seasons, 41 schools initiated head coach changes. The average coach tenure at the time of termination was 4.85 years. Coaches were fired before their fourth year on the job in less than 20% of those circumstances. Consequently, the better metric for evaluating the payout market is what the contractual payout would be if the coach were terminated following his fourth season at the school. Among the reporting institutions, the average year 4 payout is $6,535,548 and the median is $4,333,334. These amounts equate to 158% and 136%, respectively, of reported current-year compensation.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:33 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:35 pm
I think point is that some fans need to take in the entire scope of what’s happening in college football with regards to players transferring. Some act like it’s exclusively happening in Hawaii and it’s all the coaches fault. Sure there’s some validity to that, but there’s also validity to players transferring getting out of hand to an extant, that’s the reality of it now and that regardless of who’s coaching it’s gonna happen. Unfortunately college football players have basically become mercenaries for hire. I was all for them having some power back but this has gone to the extreme. Take Dillon Gabriel for example. Transfered to UCLA ok fine, Caleb Williams announces he’s transferring, hours later DG announces he’s going to OU. BRUH what is happening. Now what Muasau gonna follow DG to Oklahoma?
I understand that the transfer portal provides easy access to players that want to leave. I get that. It doesn’t bother me that players leave for the opportunity for more playing time, or don’t feel that the coaching staff Is the right fit or feel like they should transfer to a better situation. I get all that.

What bothers me is that the AD did not appear to have performed his due diligence in asking the question, “why did ASU pay Graham $12.8MM to leave early?” Does that not raise any red flags for you? A little due diligence can provide a lot of clarity on why they paid him over $12MM to leave.

It looks like the situation that happened at ASU is now here at UH.
Never said that the issues with Graham weren't an issue. I was just saying that its not the only issue like some in Warrior fandom think it is. Like firing Graham and bring back Rolo or JJ or a local hero is gonna solve all our issues. Reality check, the issues will still be there regardless of who the coach is.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:33 pm

What bothers me is that the AD did not appear to have performed his due diligence in asking the question, “why did ASU pay Graham $12.8MM to leave early?” Does that not raise any red flags for you? A little due diligence can provide a lot of clarity on why they paid him over $12MM to leave.
If Dabbo Sweeney were asked to leave, they'd have to pay him $40MM. Good coaches get paid well. When those previously awesome coaches produce mediocre results, they are asked to leave. ASU is still mediocre. Some, as in the case of Scott Frost, are asked to take a pay cut. Some, like Chris Petersen, step down. 41 coaches have been paid to leave in the past three years alone. Do you seriously believe that Matlin was unaware that Graham was unemployed for no reason?

It sucks to lose. We had a tough couple of seasons. Let's try to move forward. Coach is pretty good. His record speaks for itself. We are gifted with local pride in football...not in cash. It doesn't make sense to divorce the coach one way or another, so suck it up. Let coach right the course. If coach gets things on track, we say bye bye like we did with Tomey, Jones, and Rolovich. If not...we are still better off than we were with Von Appen and Chow...the last two 'saviors' we hired to 'save' the program after we fired those who had been esteemed and awesome coaches at Hawaii but came up short later on.

Hawaii should not think so short term in so much as most of the fat cats in college football have. We simply aren't that rich. We aren't giant killers. Sure, we easily cut down ASU in June Jones waning years, but TG was not the head coach at ASU at the time. TG did much better than his predecessor at ASU, but the money guys expected much more. After the divorce, ASU still hasn't ascended the Pac12 ladder...after many years. They are still mediocre.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

If TG invited the entire team to his house for BBQ and call his players "hon" or "sweetie" with a two year record of 3-19, most would also want him fired.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:25 am If TG invited the entire team to his house for BBQ and call his players "hon" or "sweetie" with a two year record of 3-19, most would also want him fired.
"Hon or sweetie" could result in charges of sexual harassment?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:43 pm
Never said that the issues with Graham weren't an issue. I was just saying that its not the only issue like some in Warrior fandom think it is. Like firing Graham and bring back Rolo or JJ or a local hero is gonna solve all our issues. Reality check, the issues will still be there regardless of who the coach is.
Graham's coaching style is not a good fit for Hawaii's program. Neither was it a fit for ASU. The sooner we acknowledge that the better, and can then move on to a UH Head Coach that understands the program and can work towards rebuilding it for the long term.

If you believe that UH Football program's current challenges would still be there regardless of who the coach is then we just disagree.

There are candidates for the UH Football Head Coaching position that would be a better fit for UH. Those that have a history with the program, a passion and Aloha for Hawaii and want to represent the State of Hawaii.

And who said anything about JJ or Rolo?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:05 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:43 pm
Graham's coaching style is not a good fit for Hawaii's program. Neither was it a fit for ASU. The sooner we acknowledge that the better, and can then move on to a UH Head Coach that understands the program and can work towards rebuilding it for the long term.

If you believe that UH Football program's current challenges would still be there regardless of who the coach is then we just disagree.

There are candidates for the UH Football Head Coaching position that would be a better fit for UH. Those that have a history with the program, a passion and Aloha for Hawaii and want to represent the State of Hawaii.

And who said anything about JJ or Rolo?
LOTS of people.

Walkoff Balk
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Walkoff Balk »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmgftzli8AM

This is the transfer portal.