Lee Cataluna says we should drop football.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Lee Cataluna says we should drop football.

Post by couz808 »

https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/12/lee-c ... e-program/

If she wants UH to drop football then so will all other UH sports as well.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Lee Cataluna says we should drop football.

Post by shrek2 »

Deleted
Last edited by shrek2 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:37 pm She looks like she could lose some weight.
Whoa come on now

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:38 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:37 pm She looks like she could lose some weight.
Whoa come on now
Okay, this is a catty way of expressing my distaste for the article that doesn't discuss the upside of the program. The UH football program provides youths from all backgrounds in Hawaii to compete and exercise in a healthy way. It also helps disadvantage youths in Hawaii the ability to get a college education outside of Hawaii. Lots of youths are able to get scholarships or partial scholarships to FCS schools as well as FBS schools. Exercise is really important as well as education. During my stay in Europe, you could tell the Americans from the Europeans by their appearance. Being overweight is a big problem in the US. One way to prevent this health problem is by promoting sports.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:05 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:38 pm
Whoa come on now
Okay, this is a catty way of expressing my distaste for the article that doesn't discuss the upside of the program. The UH football program provides youths from all backgrounds in Hawaii to compete and exercise in a healthy way. It also helps disadvantage youths in Hawaii the ability to get a college education outside of Hawaii. Lots of youths are able to get scholarships or partial scholarships to FCS schools as well as FBS schools. Exercise is really important as well as education. During my stay in Europe, you could tell the Americans from the Europeans by their appearance. Being overweight is a big problem in the US. One way to prevent this health problem is by promoting sports.
Ok but don't be attacking peoples appearances cause you disagree with their viewpoints

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

The article waxes poetically but doesn't really have a purpose. Many of the same old arguments about McMackin's firing are rehashed. I initially thought she was being sarcastic. Gov. Burns' vision was on-spot in regard to football. However, each time we have a marginal season, the witches come out and ironically call for a burning.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

‘This is a different era, where many people prefer sitting at home on a large sofa sectional in front of a large flat-screen with food from their own kitchen rather than sitting in a stadium, squinting at the field and waiting in line for the bathroom.”

This is where Lee falls short. People will come if they are allowed to tailgate. Then more come just for the game because it is a large community event.

Any plan going forward needs to have tailgating. That is simply part of the experience. They don’t restore this and they won’t regain interest.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

i wonder how many doctors, nurses, lawyers, community leaders, politicians, teachers, professors, medical researchers and therapists have earned their degrees on university of hawaii student athlete scholarships that would never have been able to cover the expenses of a college degree on their own. how many of our scholarship student athletes used the motivation of sports to rise above poverty or work through the challenges of an education to earn the right to participate in extracurricular activities in school.

why do certain people who earned college degrees look down on student athletes on scholarships? why do these people consider student athletes on scholarships the unwashed and show them no love but seek to end student athlete scholarship programs whenever tough times befall them?

i see many of our student athletes on scholarships that represent the first in their families to earn a college degree, the first in their family to complete high school for that matter. our student athletes on scholarships come from all walks of life but those who come from the fringes of poverty or communities in crisis represent the best chance we have of mitigating poverty and rescuing communities in crisis.

myopic critics of the football student athletic scholarship program fail to recognize how college sports are able to lift many athletes into college educated citizens ready to contribute to society as a whole at a higher level than they would have been able if left to their own devices. myopic critics also fail to see that college football drives the availability of many other non-revenue sports and their student atheletes on sports scholarship.

for those who target football as inappropriate for a university or college, i suggest reviewing the football programs at yale, harvard, brown, annapolis or west point to see how football and sports complete and augment a pursuit for a college degree.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

st808 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:10 am i wonder how many doctors, nurses, lawyers, community leaders, politicians, teachers, professors, medical researchers and therapists have earned their degrees on university of hawaii student athlete scholarships that would never have been able to cover the expenses of a college degree on their own. how many of our scholarship student athletes used the motivation of sports to rise above poverty or work through the challenges of an education to earn the right to participate in extracurricular activities in school.

why do certain people who earned college degrees look down on student athletes on scholarships? why do these people consider student athletes on scholarships the unwashed and show them no love but seek to end student athlete scholarship programs whenever tough times befall them?

i see many of our student athletes on scholarships that represent the first in their families to earn a college degree, the first in their family to complete high school for that matter. our student athletes on scholarships come from all walks of life but those who come from the fringes of poverty or communities in crisis represent the best chance we have of mitigating poverty and rescuing communities in crisis.

myopic critics of the football student athletic scholarship program fail to recognize how college sports are able to lift many athletes into college educated citizens ready to contribute to society as a whole at a higher level than they would have been able if left to their own devices. myopic critics also fail to see that college football drives the availability of many other non-revenue sports and their student atheletes on sports scholarship.

for those who target football as inappropriate for a university or college, i suggest reviewing the football programs at yale, harvard, brown, annapolis or west point to see how football and sports complete and augment a pursuit for a college degree.
st808 - please post this on Civil Beat!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:42 am
st808 - please post this on Civil Beat!
[/quote]

anyone who wants to can cut and paste it to civil beat. i don't feel like registering for another blog site. not my thing. but, if you want to use it, it's okay with me.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I remember her from the old days, if that pic is current, still ok IMO.

Some of the stuff she writes is a bit off, in whole. But when you break it down it make sense. Did she went to law school? It's like the case feels innocent, but guilty on 10 out of 12 counts. This story matches how she writes.

Walkoff Balk
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Walkoff Balk »

Was this opinion from people you meet in Longs?

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Walkoff Balk wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:44 pm Was this opinion from people you meet in Longs?
Longs is CVS. But they keep Longes name. I don’t meet people there.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Nobody is dropping football.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

She brings up a good point about football being a religion and not supporting the community propping it up...I don't support tax breaks for churches either. Lmao.

I firmly believe that the Tourism Authority needs to fund UH Football. It does lure tourists and there's tons of opportunities fir marketing during nationally televised games.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook: