Walk-Ons No Longer On Roster

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Walk-Ons No Longer On Roster

Post by kapakahi »

Also not surprising to see that walk-on Safety #26 Leonard Lee (Kapolei HS '17 via Pima CC) was also removed from the roster.

However, surprised to see that walk-on Safety #36 Kalamaku "Ku" Kuewa (KHS-Kapalama '18), who has been a regular contributor on Special Teams, was also removed from the roster.....as was true frosh walk-on DL #60 Kalani Atwood (Leilehua HS '21).

Local walk-ons come and go....on a regular frequent basis....but LL's publicly stated reasons for departing the program probably won't help attract local HS prospects from West Oahu (at least from Kapolei HS)....in the near-term future.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Re: No surprise Aaron Cephus off roster

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Some of this is sour grapes, bc if these guys were better than the ppl in front of them at a minimum they'd get PT on special teams and I haven't seen anyone jump out on ST. Plus, if they were high caliber players, they'd get a scholie and not be walk-ons. This is similar to a funny looking guy with no personality wondering why he doesn't get any action from the hot ladies, but gets plenty action from the fuglies.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Hawaii has one of the most robust pools of walk-on talent in the country, and it's been neglected since 2011. I think there was a point during the JJ days where all 4 captains were former walk-ons.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

All looking for opportunities for playing time. Let's see where they land.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

TheDuke wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:52 am All looking for opportunities for playing time. Let's see where they land.
The fact is that many of the walk-ons are quitting football because they have lost their love of the game. Others can't afford to attend any college at any level on the mainland to try to walk-on. So they are giving it up because of what they consider an intolerable culture and environment at UH. Walk-ons, especially the local ones have been an integral part of the Hawaii football program. Not only have some of them earned scholarships and become starters, walk-ons in many ways help set the culture and fabric of the team. That is being lost with this staff.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Walk-Ons No Longer On Roster

Post by Duster »

Has it always been the practice to delete players from the roster if they left the team during the season, or even after the regular season has ended? Or is it some kind of punitive measure? I can understand dropping Boone Abbott since he left before the season started, but it seems weird to do it now since a number of those who were deleted were significant contributors like Chevan and Dae Dae, and show up in the statistics on the website. If one of them were to become a coach and their bio states that he played at UH in 2021, some google using mouse-clicking message board poster may look up the UH 2021 roster, see that he is not on the roster and claim that the statement in the bio is a lie - much like some posters on WSN noted that Bo Graham is not on the West Virginia roster and concluded that he lied about being on the WVU football team.

Roster listings are not only used to see who is presently on the roster, but serves as a historical record of who was on the roster. If "de-listing" is intended to serve as some psychological tool to show the team that if they leave, they will be removed, or simply as a FU to those who leave, it is childish and vindictive.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

poidog wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:53 pm Hawaii has one of the most robust pools of walk-on talent in the country, and it's been neglected since 2011. I think there was a point during the JJ days where all 4 captains were former walk-ons.
With the word going around in the local football community, local walk-ons may become almost extinct next season.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Duster wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:04 pm Has it always been the practice to delete players from the roster if they left the team during the season, or even after the regular season has ended? Or is it some kind of punitive measure? I can understand dropping Boone Abbott since he left before the season started, but it seems weird to do it now since a number of those who were deleted were significant contributors like Chevan and Dae Dae, and show up in the statistics on the website. If one of them were to become a coach and their bio states that he played at UH in 2021, some google using mouse-clicking message board poster may look up the UH 2021 roster, see that he is not on the roster and claim that the statement in the bio is a lie - much like some posters on WSN noted that Bo Graham is not on the West Virginia roster and concluded that he lied about being on the WVU football team.

Roster listings are not only used to see who is presently on the roster, but serves as a historical record of who was on the roster. If "de-listing" is intended to serve as some psychological tool to show the team that if they leave, they will be removed, or simply as a FU to those who leave, it is childish and vindictive.
I used to grumble about they not updating the roster early enough so now that they are I’m happy.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Walk-ons contribute in every State. You just don't hear about them because Hawaii is so far removed and every State has multiple schools and more opportunities. There are many walk-ons at all the top schools. Walk-on opportunities will become more difficult because of the transfer portal. More quality players in the mix.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/Lennyisblessed/status/1470670401780871170 https://twitter.com/Lennyisblessed/status/1470679015576903685

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

When I look at the roster there are other walkons on the team. A walkon is someone that is trying to EARN a spot on a team. He has a funny way of trying to earn a spot. Until you've earned a spot you are a walkon. Nothing more and nothing less. He didn't earn a spot out of HS and he still hasn't earned one.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

TheDuke wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:55 am When I look at the roster there are other walkons on the team. A walkon is someone that is trying to EARN a spot on a team. He has a funny way of trying to earn a spot. Until you've earned a spot you are a walkon. Nothing more and nothing less. He didn't earn a spot out of HS and he still hasn't earned one.
If you're saying he wasn't on a scholarship, you're right. But he's been on the team for 3 years, so in my opinion he had earned a spot on the team.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

uhwarriors wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:31 pm
TheDuke wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:55 am When I look at the roster there are other walkons on the team. A walkon is someone that is trying to EARN a spot on a team. He has a funny way of trying to earn a spot. Until you've earned a spot you are a walkon. Nothing more and nothing less. He didn't earn a spot out of HS and he still hasn't earned one.
If you're saying he wasn't on a scholarship, you're right. But he's been on the team for 3 years, so in my opinion he had earned a spot on the team.
If he's been on the scout team for three years after playing 2 years at a community college elsewhere...I'd say there's a definite disconnect. For this kid to say that coach is the worst person he's ever met in his life...speaks volumes. Why is he even trying for a 6th year of playing time here? Oh, he spoke up...so coach canned him? I hate to dis a kid trying to get some playing time but this wreaks of witch-hunt finger-pointing. Social media has changed society in good-ways and not-so-good-ways. I think this is one the latter. I understand his bitterness, but I don't like the outrageous hyperbole he throws back at coach after being let go. I haven't met coach, but I am pretty sure he isn't the worst person I've ever met...even in my small-kid-times. Okay, I've known a lot of awful people in my life time...and I'm sure some of 'em have thought the same of me. Coach ain't no Ahab. He may have his issues, but don't we all?

I have so far liked coach's first two years of recruiting. I look forward to many more. He isn't the best coach available, but he certainly isn't the worst. Anyone wanna hire the multitude of coaches fired in the NFL and NCAA to replace one imperfect coach with another? We've gone down this rabbit hole before with Wags and Mack. The results were awful. Take a chill pill. Suck it up. We've gotta see this one through. JMHO

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

other walkons are playing andone was awarded a scholarship. If you are good you get rewarded. Not all walkons pan out.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I asked this player to clarify what happened. I said he might as well since he's not on the team. Nothing to lose, right? Have yet to hear a reply.