History repeats itself?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: History repeats itself?

Post by 202Warrior »

SundayJam wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:14 am
202Warrior wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:22 pm First step is to admit there’s a problem. Old school tactics are not for everyone. Part of leadership is reading the room. I’ve lead many teams in my life and each group was unique. Adjusting as a leader takes maturity. Be humble TG, time for you to learn from your team. It’s totally cool to make mistakes…don’t be like Brandon and blame others for your failures. Own it, fix it, or simply leave.
Who is Brandon? Graham has never been a failure. Todd Graham has been a winning coach at every school he has coached over the last 14 years: Rice, Tulsa, Pittsburgh, Arizona State, and now Hawaii. His overall record is 106 and 72...that's 60%! What was the mistake he made? Graham isn't Rolovich. The babies cry: I want pride-rock and ohana. Well, daddy doesn't speak that language. Bad daddy?

You mean you LED many teams. Okay...Urban Meyer... Graham is not Lincoln Riley or Scott Frost. He's also not Nick Saban or Ed Ogeron. Head coaches meet and fall-short-of expectations all the time. This coach has delivered in these trying times. Hawaii does not have a losing record. I see an offense and defense that has met expectations. We put up a fight but we didn't win enough. The two notable departures were injured and missed games this year. Winning a road game in a spectacular fashion that we were supposed to lose was a great way to finish off a difficult season.

Should Hawaii beat Memphis in the Hawaii Bowl? I think so. We overwhelmed currently ranked #21 Houston in a bowl last year. We'll make a good show of it again this year. I hope the distressed players in the TP give respect to the PROGRAM that floated them a SCHOLARSHIP these past few years.

Nice of you to pick up on my grammar mistake. I understand your position. I also agree on most points. However, I would argue that emotional intelligence is just as important as the metrics you present. No, I’m not Urban Meyer. But I’ve lead (led) where it counted the most. I love your highlights as well…very talented.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Brandon Brown is a NASCAR driver

The Christmas colors are creative

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Article from November 26, 2017....
http://www.cronkitesports.com/breaking- ... r-reports/
Graham’s dismissal comes as little surprise to most around the program after almost two years of speculation surrounding his job. But in an impromptu press conference on Sunday, one that began minutes after vice president of university athletics Ray Anderson concluded a 30-minute presser of his own explaining the decision, Graham was still in slight disbelief.

He was asked if he knew his firing was coming: “No.”

Was he surprised to be let go: “Yes.”
His termination has been a long time coming.

Anderson was publicly frustrated with his adopted football coach two summers ago. He went public with his criticism, telling local sports talk radio station Fox Sports 910 AM in July 2016, “One of the things, very frankly, that we’re trying to do better around here is to talk less and deliver more. We’ll be minimum on the bravado and all the predictions about greatness and just let our play speak for us.”
As wins began to decline in recent years, so did stability amongst the program’s coaching staff. Former offensive coordinator Mike Norvell – whom Graham claimed is the executor to his will – left ASU following the 2015 season to become head coach at Memphis. His replacement, Chip Lindsay, lasted just one season with the Sun Devils before jumping ship last year to take the same job at Auburn. Ex-Alabama receivers coach Billy Napier was hired to take over the role this year, the third different Sun Devils offensive coordinator in three years.

Keith Patterson had been defensive coordinator since 2014, but was demoted to linebackers’ coach after last season. Veteran defensive mastermind Phil Bennett, a personal friend of Graham’s, was introduced as defensive coordinator this year.

The musical chairs pattern of his staffs was something Anderson cited as a reason for moving on from Graham.

“We’ve had a lot of turnover,” Anderson said of the staff changes. “There’s all kind of reasons why that is, but at the end of the day the head coach is responsible for developing and then retaining his coaches so you can have continuity.”

Graham’s roster of players suffered the same story. Finding a replacement for Kelly has proven to be futile, even after an improved junior season from quarterback Manny Wilkins this year. Several of the team’s top defensive players over the last several years have left the program, either through transfer or medical retirement. Those who have played on the back end have struggled to recreate the dominant defense of Graham’s early years at the school.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I am guessing after reading this I can understand the coaching changes and the transfers. I am just wondering if this is how it will continue to be. I don’t mind coach TG saying that Hawaii is just a stepping stone. That’s how it has always been. You are either successful and move on or you are crap and fired. I am just hoping that the program can survive all of this.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Interesting comments from the ASU perspective....with different posters sharing their personal observations and/or experiences of what happened at ASU....
kapakahi wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:43 pm
Interesting to read an ASU perspective....from the Publisher of SunDevilSource.com for 247 Sports....
https://twitter.com/ChrisKarpman/status/1468016719385948160
https://247sports.com/college/arizona-s ... 67/?page=1
Splitting the players into groups and a lot of players never even talking to or getting to know other guys on the team. Certain players to dinner, players made to sit at dinner tables by assignment and position group, no mingling. It was nuts. Hallmark CTG, divide, create anxiety and factions then recruit over anyone and everyone while running off certain players. If the transfer portal had been around when CTG was at ASU the exodus would have been epic. He's not a bad X and 0 guy and he does work his tail off but I can't believe Bo Graham is the OC, the kid was incompetent as a RB coach but next to Norvell was the second highest paid coach on staff.
I worked with one of the Latu brothers and he told me the exact same thing, Graham called him into his office and called him worthless. It is unfortunate that Graham isn’t more respectful to players, coaches and staff as it has to be hard putting in extra effort for a leader you don’t respect.
https://247sports.com/college/arizona-s ... 67/?page=2
As I've often said, I grew up in a Marine Corp family, as in my father was literally a Drill Sargent and my uncles were officers. I've had verbally abusive coaches and hard coaching over the years and I NEVER saw a staff abuse players verbally and emotionally like Graham did at ASU. What I saw and heard from CTG and coaches, as well as had relayed by players, was despicable. The worst of the lot was Norvell, so good riddance to him, but Graham is a total fraud and a vile guy with how he treated players.

For the two years of the CTG regime he made a bid deal out of having practices open to parents, fans, whomever...the full first year and then scaled it back a bit year two and then year three the full paranoia kicked in an it was locked down. So yeah I saw and heard it with my own eyes and I knew personally at least 7 kids who played for him at both ASU and Tulsa who all came back with the exact same reports. Not a good person in how he handled his players and yeah, what I saw was vile and way above and beyond hard coaching.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

I said it on other posts - TG reamed the hell out of ppl all the time on the side lines during games I saw in person or on TV over the past 2 years. That poop is taxing on everyone, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears, bc there's hasn't been improvement and key players are leaving. Plus, the message and attitude doesn't blend with new generation.

If you consistently have issues you can't say it's everyone else bc the common denominator is your bad behavior. How far will the FB program be run into the reef until the big brained ppl in charge make a change?
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:38 am I said it on other posts - TG reamed the hell out of ppl all the time on the side lines during games I saw in person or on TV over the past 2 years. That poop is taxing on everyone, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears, bc there's hasn't been improvement and key players are leaving. Plus, the message and attitude doesn't blend with new generation.

If you consistently have issues you can't say it's everyone else bc the common denominator is your bad behavior. How far will the FB program be run into the reef until the big brained ppl in charge make a change?
If it were only in the games, that would be one thing. But it was constant at all times. More importantly it isn't just about yelling, it's the berating and demeaning nature of what is being said. That is what is so taxing.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

This has happened before at ASU....before the advent of the transfer portal....when the HC still had the authority to approve which schools the player could transfer to. Hmmm....
kapakahi wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:03 pm Article from November 26, 2017....
http://www.cronkitesports.com/breaking- ... r-reports/
Graham’s dismissal comes as little surprise to most around the program after almost two years of speculation surrounding his job. But in an impromptu press conference on Sunday, one that began minutes after vice president of university athletics Ray Anderson concluded a 30-minute presser of his own explaining the decision, Graham was still in slight disbelief.

He was asked if he knew his firing was coming: “No.”

Was he surprised to be let go: “Yes.”
His termination has been a long time coming.

Anderson was publicly frustrated with his adopted football coach two summers ago. He went public with his criticism, telling local sports talk radio station Fox Sports 910 AM in July 2016, “One of the things, very frankly, that we’re trying to do better around here is to talk less and deliver more. We’ll be minimum on the bravado and all the predictions about greatness and just let our play speak for us.”
As wins began to decline in recent years, so did stability amongst the program’s coaching staff. Former offensive coordinator Mike Norvell – whom Graham claimed is the executor to his will – left ASU following the 2015 season to become head coach at Memphis. His replacement, Chip Lindsay, lasted just one season with the Sun Devils before jumping ship last year to take the same job at Auburn. Ex-Alabama receivers coach Billy Napier was hired to take over the role this year, the third different Sun Devils offensive coordinator in three years.

Keith Patterson had been defensive coordinator since 2014, but was demoted to linebackers’ coach after last season. Veteran defensive mastermind Phil Bennett, a personal friend of Graham’s, was introduced as defensive coordinator this year.

The musical chairs pattern of his staffs was something Anderson cited as a reason for moving on from Graham.

“We’ve had a lot of turnover,” Anderson said of the staff changes. “There’s all kind of reasons why that is, but at the end of the day the head coach is responsible for developing and then retaining his coaches so you can have continuity.”

Graham’s roster of players suffered the same story. Finding a replacement for Kelly has proven to be futile, even after an improved junior season from quarterback Manny Wilkins this year. Several of the team’s top defensive players over the last several years have left the program, either through transfer or medical retirement. Those who have played on the back end have struggled to recreate the dominant defense of Graham’s early years at the school.
Last edited by kapakahi on Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

The history is there, and yet folks want to pretend like everything is hearsay or speculation. Flames shooting out the windows and still in denial of the fire raging inside the house.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

poidog wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:32 am The history is there, and yet folks want to pretend like everything is hearsay or speculation. Flames shooting out the windows and still in denial of the fire raging inside the house.
History does seem to be repeating itself. From ASU to UH. Denial of this type of consistent behavior will result in a disintegration of the UH Football program. The AD needs to accept accountability for his decision and make the adjustments needed.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:46 am
poidog wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:32 am The history is there, and yet folks want to pretend like everything is hearsay or speculation. Flames shooting out the windows and still in denial of the fire raging inside the house.
History does seem to be repeating itself. From ASU to UH. Denial of this type of consistent behavior will result in a disintegration of the UH Football program. The AD needs to accept accountability for his decision and make the adjustments needed.
when a player requests to enter the transfer portal, they have to meet with the AD so he's aware of these transfers before we are. I wonder what he's planning to do about this...

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Watching what coach has been doing since he got here makes me think that he is a micromanger who has surrounded himself with yes men. If we do get better it will be slow and people will continue to leave. I don’t how long it will take him to achieve the kind of success that I was hoping for. If fan interest dies Cataluna may get her wish.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

RedZone wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:56 pm Watching what coach has been doing since he got here makes me think that he is a micromanger who has surrounded himself with yes men. If we do get better it will be slow and people will continue to leave. I don’t how long it will take him to achieve the kind of success that I was hoping for. If fan interest dies Cataluna may get her wish.
It looks like Graham is the polar opposite of June Jones, who focused on building a strong Offense. Graham is obviously Defense focused, and it shows by looking at the experience on the Defensive Coaching Staff.

If he remains at UH, and is sincere on changing his ways, he should allow some of the senior defensive staff to move on to better opportunities, since he micro-manages the defensive coaching anyway, and hire a competent Offensive Coordinator.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/JacksonMoore247/status/1476677623333863425

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

kapakahi wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:44 pm https://twitter.com/JacksonMoore247/status/1476677623333863425
I remember reading that article and hoping that his 2 years off had changed him as he said it did. Obviously it didn't.