Kai Kaneshiro medically retired

Post by Irse »

https://twitter.com/TheKaiKaneshiro/status/1463071730449076226
And no longer on the UH roster.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Re: Kai Kaneshiro in the transfer portal

Post by uhwarriors »

Unfortunately I think Tru Edwards and Kai Kaneshiro may be just the start.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Dude not even gonna finish the season. Bruh.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Definitely not a good sign.....especially with the only 2022 local HS verbal commits (AJ Bianco, Kona Moore, Keahi Spencer) thus far all from Saint Louis School (just like Kai) and the "Brotherhood For Life".....with the Dec. 15, 2021 Early NLI Signing Day only just 3 weeks from now.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I don't know how much he was used in the CSU game but I noticed he was in the pictures but never registered any stats. All I heard was he missed on a tackle from the radio broadcast. I think the writing on the wall that if they get more quickness in the DB area his playing time would be limited next year. I think Chevan may be more of a lead recruiter for the St. Louis players. Good luck to him on his efforts to find a place where he may get more playing time.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:42 pm I think the writing on the wall that if they get more quickness in the DB area his playing time would be limited next year.
EVEN IF there are no further unexpected departures, the UH secondary still loses 4 safeties (Azunna, Ford, Frazier & Kaneshiro) with only 1 returning safety (Turner) with significant live game action experience (not counting Dalton who hasn't played this whole season)....along with losing 2 CBs (Davis & Burton) with only 2 returning CBs (Lockridge & Nelson) with significant live game action experience (not counting Washington who hasn't suited up this whole season).

Unless UH can sign at least 3 new safeties in the upcoming 2022 Signing Class who are ready to start/play immediately from the start of next season in Graham's complex defensive system, Kai was still likely to get significant playing time.

Whatever Kai's reason for leaving is.....lack of projected playing time isn't it.....especially with his high self-belief level.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

kapakahi wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:01 pm Definitely not a good sign.....especially with the only 2022 local HS verbal commits (AJ Bianco, Kona Moore, Keahi Spencer) thus far all from Saint Louis School (just like Kai) and the "Brotherhood For Life".....with the Dec. 15, 2021 Early NLI Signing Day only just 3 weeks from now.
I'm not feeling good about the St. Louis verbal commits. We could lose one or more of them.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:42 pm I think Chevan may be more of a lead recruiter for the St. Louis players.
You better hope Chevan will be around to help recruit the St. Louis brotherhood.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I am more worried about the trenches. We lose a lot on both sides of the los. Total rebuild there.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Yeah, well...It's been a tumultuous two years...for everyone. Some win...some lose. Cole MacDonald opting out early for the draft...lose. I dunno guys, I don't wanna hate on the departees. I wish them luck as much as I wish us luck. Imua Hawaii...whether here or there. Aloha Bradduh Kai.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

The MWC is noted for their tough DBs that are willing to mix it up with the offensive linemen like USU, BSU, SDSU and now UNLV. I can't recall any pass breakup by Kai in any nationally televised game. It seems like Ford who probably has the same foot speed had two key plays in his UH history. One was a goal line stand where he met the running back in the air to stop him from getting across on 4th and goal. The other one was a pass breakup when he got beat in the end zone but knocked the ball out of the receiver's hands after it dropped in. I'd be willing to look at JC transfers, people in the transfer portal for more strength and speed. Wish the best for Kai.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:55 am
I'd be willing to look at JC transfers, people in the transfer portal for more strength and speed.
Was supposed to be addressed as the top recruiting priority (as identified by Graham) in this past 2021 Signing Class.....but evidently wasn't given that the same safeties (Ford, Frazier & Kaneshiro) from the 2020 season still got the majority of the snaps this season too. Not counting on Dalton (who had considerable playing time in 2020) coming back for next season since he didn't play this season.

For the 2022 Signing Class, more JC transfer prospects are being offered.....but none have committed yet.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I don't know what they see in practice but if it were me, I just assume that Steven Fiso's gross motor skills far exceed his fine motor skills. Every pass to him at tight end has been dropped. I would have liked to see Fiso on the defense hitting people since he was a safety in high school. Although he's listed as a junior, he should have two years left because of last year. All his stats prior to this year has been in tackling.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Bad decision.

I'll say it. Kai Kaneshiro is on the team, playing, starting because he is local and from SL HS. I really don't think he was that great. What I will remember is missing tackles and when he is on the spot, the defender gets 4 more yards. Not questioning the heart, desire, or talent. But sometimes players are not exactly D1 caliber.

Even if he is replaced as the starter, there will still be playing time. Be the ultimate team guy. When he graduate, he could would have plenty opportunities outside of football, and maybe at the local HS football level too, if he stayed on the team and finish out. SL HC one day?

I'm a Kai Kaneshiro fan because he is local. Always cheer for local boys. It give kids hope, IMO, that you can play college football for UH. No relations to him, but Kai is just like my son, brother, cousin, friend, neighbor, neighbor's son, etc. You know what I mean by that. Locals can. And I'll bring in race. We don't see too many Asians playing D1 football. Guys like Yao Ming, Jeremy Lin, Dat Nguyen blazed the trail for Asians in sports. Kai Kaneshiro could not shown some skinny Asian kid that you can.

I don't think he will be picked up by another D1 team, or become a starter. Best wishes to him, and that I'm wrong on this.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

BC saying that Kai is medically retiring (and not in the transfer portal)....so will keep his UH scholarship (but won't count among the team scholarships).