How to lose your fan base in five steps

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: How to lose your fan base in five steps

Post by cabanalane »

Just for fun, I'm going to break down the 5 steps in order, according to me.

1. UH Admins fault. Handling of Jones and then later Mac's situation. I will go back to say Bob Wagner should not be fired. He did nothing wrong (other than L vs W). Top class guy, top class coach.
2. Chow Time (not winning).
3. Connection between head injuries, concussions, and sadness of Junior Seau. He was not from Hawaii, but the love is the same with the connection (maybe cause Poly) as some of us know someone like him.
4. PPV and just overall cost of games. OMG. Sure I can get by without the hotdogs or soda, but still.
5. COVID. Thank you TC Ching's family, but it's not Aloha Stadium.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:26 pm Just for fun, I'm going to break down the 5 steps in order, according to me.

1. UH Admins fault. Handling of Jones and then later Mac's situation. I will go back to say Bob Wagner should not be fired. He did nothing wrong (other than L vs W). Top class guy, top class coach.
3. Connection between head injuries, concussions, and sadness of Junior Seau. He was not from Hawaii, but the love is the same with the connection (maybe cause Poly) as some of us know someone like him.
4. PPV and just overall cost of games. OMG. Sure I can get by without the hotdogs or soda, but still.
1. June Jones loss is correct. We didn’t like the way he left. But they could have paid him. Mac’s loss was an effort by very ethnocentric fans thinking we need to bash the old white guy that is not one of us.
2. Chow was localism winning out to the detriment of the program.
3. Seau is interesting to bring up. I don’t get it. But Go Chargers!
4. The disaster of local PPV has no equivalent any place in the country.
5. COVID didn’t cause us to leave Aloha Stadium. But it is a nice excuse,

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

poidog wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:15 pm In regards to the road game @ Wyoming - why wouldn't Spectrum Sports want to put this game on PPV? They are footing the production costs to set up a crew at a road game at a school that doesn't have their own TV deal. How many commercials would they have to sell to cover those costs if they put the game on TV for free? too many, likely, and it would not be worth the investment. At least this way, the university gets money out of it as part of the 2nd (or 3rd?) biggest TV deal in the conference. For UH road games that don't get picked up by the cable sports networks like CBS Sports, the options are PPV or no TV, like it or not. or in some cases, like with the game @ NMSU I think - we had to subscribe to some off-brand streaming service to watch the game. UH has one of the better TV packages for a program of its stature, and yet people are still very unhappy with it….
So I have now reached personal enlightenment and agree that there are no bad guys that got us here. And there is positives and kudos to those that have worked to keep the program funded and together. And I don’t pay enough into the pot myself.

But let’s move on the bigger issue I have raised. You can’t shut the general public out of watching the team and expect the team to have a local following. If you have a big stadium, at least a lot are going to make a game or two. And back at home they going to talk to others. How was the game? UH suck this year. Or, UH pretty good … the Cordeirro kid was lighting it up. We had great time. Now, small stadium. Small participation. And TV shut out for half the season. Not many know this team.

Scheduling is also a problem. Because we having a hard time bringing the big guys at the end of the year. So perfect storm, we have the general public (those not willing to pay $70) shut out of the second half of the season.

I wish there was a buzz over the Wyoming game. I think this is going to be a great one. I don’t expect Spectrum to give it free. I only ask that we look at the impacts of what has happened here. Maybe we can adjust what we are doing so we get a huge following on the rebound from Covid and stadium problem.

I am no expert here. Just sharing what I am seeing from the outside looking in.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Don't feed the trolls.

I got hooked on Hawaii with the K-5 after broadcast. Fans could attend the game, pay for pay-for-view, or watch the late-cast. I worked during the broadcast, so I was only too happy to watch late at night. Other PPV events were also likely to provide free views after the fact. I likewise enjoyed the $10 outside of Honolulu feed from Hawaiian Tel. The free Stadium feed for out of towners was also awesome. Now, we can't even get highlights. I don't think scheduling the big guys at the end of the year is a problem. If we're good, they pay us $275k to not play us (McChicken State).

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Plus, the ILH games are more exciting with a very reasonable tix prices. There are more stars on those fields too.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:14 am Don't feed the trolls.

I got hooked on Hawaii with the K-5 after broadcast. Fans could attend the game, pay for pay-for-view, or watch the late-cast. I worked during the broadcast, so I was only too happy to watch late at night. Other PPV events were also likely to provide free views after the fact. I likewise enjoyed the $10 outside of Honolulu feed from Hawaiian Tel. The free Stadium feed for out of towners was also awesome. Now, we can't even get highlights. I don't think scheduling the big guys at the end of the year is a problem. If we're good, they pay us $275k to not play us (McChicken State).
There were many games that I paid for $10 streams for road PPV on the few seasons they had it even for Honolulu people. The stream would be bad but I followed the team.

Under no circumstances am I paying $70 to watch this game in my living room. And I am not looking for a bar either.

So they blacked out the game for me. And ME is thousands of people. So they got their elite club of followers.

But unfortunately the team should know, it ain’t the State of Hawaii they are playing for. It is an old timer club of crotchety old folks. And the number in that club is getting smaller every year. Sad. But play on. We want to cheer for you. But we don’t even know you. We hardly see you play this year.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

UnBiasFan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:44 pm
cabanalane wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:26 pm Just for fun, I'm going to break down the 5 steps in order, according to me.

1. June Jones loss is correct. We didn’t like the way he left. But they could have paid him. Mac’s loss was an effort by very ethnocentric fans thinking we need to bash the old white guy that is not one of us.
2. Chow was localism winning out to the detriment of the program.
3. Seau is interesting to bring up. I don’t get it. But Go Chargers!
4. The disaster of local PPV has no equivalent any place in the country.
5. COVID didn’t cause us to leave Aloha Stadium. But it is a nice excuse,
Thanks for playing along.

#3 on Seau. I was trying to bring out topic of head/brain injuries. Now there's a lot more medical evidence than before. Helmet designs have improved. Moms don't want their kids to play football. That was a theme a few years ago.

#5. Correct COVID didn't cause UH to leave the stadium. Perhaps I was trying to combine two points together to keep it at 5 total. I saw the new stadium in LV under construction, the 3X I went to LV. Never been inside. I would like to go, no matter who is playing. Maybe I just like buildings, like I was in awe going up 30 floor in a Waikiki hotel. Having a legit stadium is important. I can't attend a game at TC (stay on the mainland), but I imagine is far from going into a true stadium experience. COVID is the the other point. We lost some fans due to COVID and COVID fears and restrictions. Maybe they will be back.

The popular flavor is to be anti-Rolo. I like to think there's another side to the story, on why he left UH like that. Maybe not, and it was all about the $$$. Like RJ, it makes me feel good to hear mainland guys that stayed and love Hawaii. It helps me confirm that the Hawaii I love is still there. (And it's up to me to come back.) I do believe if Rolo stayed, and call Hawaii home for good, we could have turn it around in a few more (5+) years.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:18 am

Thanks for playing along.

#3 on Seau. I was trying to bring out topic of head/brain injuries. Now there's a lot more medical evidence than before. Helmet designs have improved. Moms don't want their kids to play football. That was a theme a few years ago.

#5. Correct COVID didn't cause UH to leave the stadium. Perhaps I was trying to combine two points together to keep it at 5 total. I saw the new stadium in LV under construction, the 3X I went to LV. Never been inside. I would like to go, no matter who is playing. Maybe I just like buildings, like I was in awe going up 30 floor in a Waikiki hotel. Having a legit stadium is important. I can't attend a game at TC (stay on the mainland), but I imagine is far from going into a true stadium experience. COVID is the the other point. We lost some fans due to COVID and COVID fears and restrictions. Maybe they will be back.

The popular flavor is to be anti-Rolo. I like to think there's another side to the story, on why he left UH like that. Maybe not, and it was all about the $$$. Like RJ, it makes me feel good to hear mainland guys that stayed and love Hawaii. It helps me confirm that the Hawaii I love is still there. (And it's up to me to come back.) I do believe if Rolo stayed, and call Hawaii home for good, we could have turn it around in a few more (5+) years.
Yeh, I think the targeting rules up to the NFL level kind of helps. I don’t know about the education videos so much. It is a violent sport even if they give lip service to proper tackling.. So yeh, parents may decide to push kids a different direction.

Hawaii football is a great opportunity to still feel some connection to Hawaii even if you been gone for many years. There is an opportunity to rebuild the spirit of what we once had. There is also chance this product never recovers. Remember, developers want a cookie cutter stadium experience. Think Buffalo Wild Wings (no offense to them/ the wings and beer are good) on a walking path to the new stadium. If given a chance, they will never restore what local people was doing right.

I know we not suppose to talk politics. But maybe the forum should make an exception for the next Governor’s race. We don’t talk political party. But we talk about what they going to do for Hawaii football.