Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Hawaii Sports Final

Post by ulua »

I don't usually like to listen to pod cast, but this one I thought was pretty interesting and caught my
attention.

https://www.khon2.com/bows-football-fin ... eaction-2/

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Hawaii Sports Final

Post by shrek2 »

Interesting but, its not like this forum hasn't already addressed although with possibly a little less tact. What I took away was coach "possibly" looking for more leadership on the offense. Disgruntled fan base which during this Covid times is horrendous because UH is having to rely on donations to build a stadium and keep the program running. It's going to be tough maintaining the FBS status since an attendance of 15K is required.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Just wondering what it's not a show anymore. At least the recorded Zoom show was better because we get to see them. I can't imagine it takes any more cost to make that vs the podcast. Do they not want to put on a shirt and shave?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

This is all old news. The lack of support...... NVM that's an unfair term to use to those that do support the football team and UH athletics in general. The inadequate level of support, lack of foresight and inability to embrace new ideas all the way from government to private businesses down to "fans" is why UH football and athletics is where it is. Again this is one of the reasons June Jones left. He was over the lack of progress to improve facilities and the lack of "want to" from government all the way down to fans. Some "fans" even vilified him after he changed the name, logo and color scheme. Those "fans" got their way after McMackin was "fired", got the Rainbow back, got their colors back and got their "guy" in Norm Chow. How'd that turn out?

The goal always should have been and still should be is to improve facilities and have enough team success to be attractive enough for the PAC-12 to invite us so we can get in on their shared revenue from TV contracts and whatnot. Sure it seems like a long shot now, but in the early to mid 2000s I think there was enough success across UH athletics to warrant a good look from the then PAC-10 if any expansion had happened then which none did until years later. We need more foresight, ambition, want-to and doers from the people in charge and have the ability.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Bows Football Final is a good product. They do a really good job of providing informed, nuanced perspective, and I enjoy listening to them much more than I like message board discussion. RJ Hollis has surprised me with his passion for the job and for the university and I think he has a bright future if he can hang on and catch what's left of the dwindling opportunities in the local sports media market. Miano does a great job of providing honest, objective, yet professional commentary on things on and off the field and is so underrated in regards to his acumen simply because he loves it here and never "went away" (nevermind that he played 10 years in the NFL). Rob DeMello is as classy as they come and keeps the conversation moving, but will also show his deep UH roots from time to time. I think listening to the show should be mandatory in seasons like the one we are experiencing now, in order to maintain perspective. They were very critical of the team and its direction this past episode and even discussed the potential of losing players like Cordeiro to the transfer portal or losing recruits like Bianco if they can't right the ship on offense, so it's not just being apologists for the coaches or anything like that. If you aren't checking them out already, I recommend doing so.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

RJ - I left Hawaii a long time ago. More than half of my life is on the mainland. I see his passion for Hawaii and I cheer him on. It makes me feel good that the Hawaii that I love is still here. RJ, a mainland kid, loves the Hawaii now, that I don't know anything about anymore.

Rob - As much as I am a "Leahey Fan" I want to see him get a chance at UH (football) sports. I see his love for Hawaii, UH Football. I hope he does not leave Hawaii.

Rich - I wanted him to be the head coach of UH football, but I think now he is too far remove from the connections to put together a good staff. I like his leadership, and salesmanship. I think he could have done well, back then as the HC. Honestly, I'm getting a bit tired of his color commentary.

With that said Rob and Kanoa may make a great team. But I think they are too much alike.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

poidog wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:12 pm I think listening to the show should be mandatory in seasons like the one we are experiencing now, in order to maintain perspective. They were very critical of the team and its direction this past episode and even discussed the potential of losing players like Cordeiro to the transfer portal or losing recruits like Bianco if they can't right the ship on offense, so it's not just being apologists for the coaches or anything like that. If you aren't checking them out already, I recommend doing so.
This podcast gets into the issues with real insights. Inexperienced OC, no ST coach, no communication and coaching on the offensive side on the sidelines, possibility of Cordeiro and others leaving because they don't like the direction of the offense, no QB coach, possibility of losing Bianco, the coaching staff (other than Yoro and Eliminian) aren't guys who have strong ties to the Island, program and culture, etc.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

It's easy for broadcasters to say players want to leave. Where would the players go? Have there been any successful stories from the transfer portal? Bam Bam who?

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:09 am It's easy for broadcasters to say players want to leave. Where would the players go? Have there been any successful stories from the transfer portal? Bam Bam who?
It doesn't matter where they end up or don't end up. It would be one thing if players not getting playing time are thinking about transferring. That's one of the main reasons for transfers. But if players who are playing are thinking of transferring, then there are other issues. The commentators are hearing things from reliable enough sources that they are willing to talk about it public before the end of the season. When was the last time this happened?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

uhwarriors wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:02 am
cabanalane wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:09 am It's easy for broadcasters to say players want to leave. Where would the players go? Have there been any successful stories from the transfer portal? Bam Bam who?
It doesn't matter where they end up or don't end up. It would be one thing if players not getting playing time are thinking about transferring. That's one of the main reasons for transfers. But if players who are playing are thinking of transferring, then there are other issues. The commentators are hearing things from reliable enough sources that they are willing to talk about it public before the end of the season. When was the last time this happened?
Let's hope that won't happen.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Very true. The whispers and leaks with guys that are not happy.

In Pat Riley's book, he said "A house divided can not stand. You are either in or out."

So, that's bad news, as there's going to be division in the locker room. And whatever the coach said is going to be blown off.

Two choices: Fire the coach (TG). Or let the players transfer, or be salty.

Easy to say "fire TG." But as a fan, I'm starting to feel..."not this again."

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:51 am
Very true. The whispers and leaks with guys that are not happy.

In Pat Riley's book, he said "A house divided can not stand. You are either in or out."

So, that's bad news, as there's going to be division in the locker room. And whatever the coach said is going to be blown off.

Two choices: Fire the coach (TG). Or let the players transfer, or be salty.

Easy to say "fire TG." But as a fan, I'm starting to feel..."not this again."
No kidding. I've been through the ups and downs with UH football and this downturn feels worse. The whispers have been around for about a month and now it's out in the open being talked about by guys in the know. Is it fixable? I hope so, but I'm not optimistic.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Hollis knows his football and he isn't part of the hui that complains about everything. Love his passion. He understands that the difference between winning and losing is very minuscule. Execution, mistakes and consistency has been the major issue for our offense. You have three plays to make a first down. Because of the little mistakes you can't establish an offensive identity. All it takes is one missed block, one dropped pass, one bad pass and one penalty to cause a three and out. That's been our problem this year.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

disgruntled players is nothing new.

What is positive and a negative is that a disgruntled player now has an avenue to transfer. A player can transfer for any reason; playing time, moving up to a better team with better visibility and better bowl opportunities, unhappy for whatever reason, closer to home, homesick, doesn't fit the team culture, doesn't like the coach and doesn't like Hawaii, misses his girl friend.

Transferring is good for both the player and the team. As a player you can test the market and your value. As a coach I wouldn't want anyone that doesn't want to be on his team. Clemson has had 3 players enter the portal in the last three weeks. Personally I don't see any player on this current roster that isn't replaceable. The vast majority of the transfers we've lost didn't land very well.
I wouldn't want to lose Bethley, Muasau, Laulu or Lockridge but if they choose to transfer best of luck to them. Next man up.

Anyone transferring has every right to do so. Best of luck to everyone that does transfer. But to allude their reasons to transfer as a dysfunctional team is not close to reality. The fact is it's in their best interest.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

It'll be an interesting off-season.
ImageImage