Hawaii Sports Final

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
FatJeff
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Hawaii Sports Final

Post by FatJeff »

Irse wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:52 am It'll be an interesting off-season.
Shoes are beginning to drop.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Many of us here, including myself said that Todd Graham hire was shaping up to be similar to Norm Chow hire. And it's playing out that it very well might be true. Matlin should have hired June Jones, promoted Craig Stutzmann or even gave Rich Miano a shot. Alot of us Hawaii Football fans did scratch our heads when the heard Todd Graham was the new Head Coach.

But I remember a mass exodus of players under Norm Chow and the excuse was they were recruited for the RnS not the Pro Style offense. Come to find out that Chow intolerable disciplinary style drove the players and coaches out and it seems like repeat is happening under Graham.

Once Hawaii lost to UNLV the bowl game chances went down to almost zero and beating Wyoming will be a monumental task just to get to 6-7 record. That potential 6-7 record gives Hawaii a slim chance to make a bowl game, but I don't see a bowl game this year for Hawaii. Those extra couple weeks of practice, the bowl experience for the players, the bowl game payout money and recruiting exposure on national TV are extremely beneficial.

Based on historical precedent, I don't see Hawaii buying out TG until the final year of his contract. Hawaii fans will have to wait and see what level of product Todd Graham will produce next season.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

This thread is weird. I don't understand it. Chow tried to employ Frankenstein like coaching fixes to fix a program that was not broken. He did things like: take away the player's name recognition, have them sleep in an army barracks, and he fired ARANDA...and rolo. He hired other has-beens, like himself, that never quite lived up to expectations in their twilight years. Those assistants haven't coached again...unlike Aranda and Rolovich...albeit Rolo lost it on the Koo-Koo-for-Cocoa-Puffs vax obfuscation.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

WarriorTyme wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:22 am Many of us here, including myself said that Todd Graham hire was shaping up to be similar to Norm Chow hire. And it's playing out that it very well might be true. Matlin should have hired June Jones, promoted Craig Stutzmann or even gave Rich Miano a shot. Alot of us Hawaii Football fans did scratch our heads when the heard Todd Graham was the new Head Coach.

But I remember a mass exodus of players under Norm Chow and the excuse was they were recruited for the RnS not the Pro Style offense. Come to find out that Chow intolerable disciplinary style drove the players and coaches out and it seems like repeat is happening under Graham.

Once Hawaii lost to UNLV the bowl game chances went down to almost zero and beating Wyoming will be a monumental task just to get to 6-7 record. That potential 6-7 record gives Hawaii a slim chance to make a bowl game, but I don't see a bowl game this year for Hawaii. Those extra couple weeks of practice, the bowl experience for the players, the bowl game payout money and recruiting exposure on national TV are extremely beneficial.

Based on historical precedent, I don't see Hawaii buying out TG until the final year of his contract. Hawaii fans will have to wait and see what level of product Todd Graham will produce next season.
norm chow would wet his pants for 6 wins in a season.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

poidog wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:17 pm
WarriorTyme wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:22 am Many of us here, including myself said that Todd Graham hire was shaping up to be similar to Norm Chow hire. And it's playing out that it very well might be true. Matlin should have hired June Jones, promoted Craig Stutzmann or even gave Rich Miano a shot. Alot of us Hawaii Football fans did scratch our heads when the heard Todd Graham was the new Head Coach.

norm chow would wet his pants for 6 wins in a season.
:lol: That is so true!!!

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:02 am This thread is weird. I don't understand it. Chow tried to employ Frankenstein like coaching fixes to fix a program that was not broken. He did things like: take away the player's name recognition, have them sleep in an army barracks, and he fired ARANDA...and rolo. He hired other has-beens, like himself, that never quite lived up to expectations in their twilight years. Those assistants haven't coached again...unlike Aranda and Rolovich...albeit Rolo lost it on the Koo-Koo-for-Cocoa-Puffs vax obfuscation.
I also remember Chow hiring young assistant coaches like Jordan Wynn and Luke Matthews with very limited experience and losing experience coaches like Kevin Clune and Tony Tuioti for various reasons. Also, both Todd Graham and Norm Chow added a tight end, that the previous RnS offense didn't employ a tight end and a mass exodus of players after this season is done. Just similarities that a lot of Hawaii fans have expressed on multiple blogs and these similarities very well may be warranted.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:25 am
SundayJam wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:02 am This thread is weird. I don't understand it. Chow tried to employ Frankenstein like coaching fixes to fix a program that was not broken. He did things like: take away the player's name recognition, have them sleep in an army barracks, and he fired ARANDA...and rolo. He hired other has-beens, like himself, that never quite lived up to expectations in their twilight years. Those assistants haven't coached again...unlike Aranda and Rolovich...albeit Rolo lost it on the Koo-Koo-for-Cocoa-Puffs vax obfuscation.
I also remember Chow hiring young assistant coaches like Jordan Wynn and Luke Matthews with very limited experience and losing experience coaches like Kevin Clune and Tony Tuioti for various reasons. Also, both Todd Graham and Norm Chow added a tight end, that the previous RnS offense didn't employ a tight end and a mass exodus of players after this season is done. Just similarities that a lot of Hawaii fans have expressed on multiple blogs and these similarities very well may be warranted.
I had great hopes for Norm Chow as well. However, the firing of Aranda and Rolovich is not the kind of move a program should undertake. Boise State is a prime example of prima donna head coaches moving on to failure while the core staff remain to carry on the work of the program. There are other programs, such as UCF, that outperformed their departed coaches. (I still have hope for Scott Frost at Nebraska.) While Norm Chow was not a bad choice as a head coach, his outright destruction of a work in progress was unforgivable. Dave Aranda is a coaching program's wet dream. He's gonna remain faithful to Baylor because they have faith in him. He expressed humility in saying that he was grateful to Utah State accepting him after Hawaii. After a National Championship as a defensive coordinator and as a successful first-time gig as a head coach...this guy can write his own ticket...anywhere. LSU and USC would like to pay this man a lot of money to be their head coach...but he is loyal. Baylor is willing to sweeten the deal...and dude is humble. Where are Norm Chow and his offensive/defensive coordinators?

I get that the boards were blowing up regarding terminating Greg McMackin. I wasn't one of them. I was happy that Chow was chosen as the head coach, but things didn't pan out. McMackin, Aranda, and Graham are proven defensive masterminds. McMackin clearly created the best newbie staff of all time. Aranda is the loyal type. We whiffed on that one.