A look at the recent U.H. Coaches and their record during their second season at the helm

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

A look at the recent U.H. Coaches and their record during their second season at the helm

Post by Egonator »

1997: Fred Von Appen 3-9
2000: June Jones 3-9
2009: Greg McMackin 6-7
2013: Norm Chow 1-11
2017: Nick Rolovich 3-9
2021: Todd Graham 4-7*

With the loss against the UNLV, this is the sixth consecutive U.H. coach that will post a losing record during their second season. Any explanation as to why this may be? Media pressure? Rebuilding? Trying to bring their guys into the system? Different offensive schemes (I.E. switching from Pro Style to Run N Shoot and vice versa)?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: A look at the recent U.H. Coaches and their record during their second season at the helm

Post by Irse »

I haven't looked into the others but June lost a lot of good players after his first year (Robinson, Ulbrich, Klemm, Noa, Forney). Plus his offense always struggles with a new QB until they get the offense down.

Graham has no excuse. He returned almost a whole offensive line from 2019 and they are all seniors or super seniors. He has a 1000 yd receiver in Smart. Plus Mardner is really coming on. Needs to add strength though. He's got the best 1-2 RB punch we've had in a while. No reason the O should be struggling as it is. I feel it's the offensive coaching staff. First time OC with hardly any experience as a position coach, two guys who were GAs last year, and a RB coach who was a CB coach last year (his position is the only one doing well). Overall the D is playing well. Sometimes we make stupid penalties like the late hit yesterday. DBs to me have been a disappointment. Need a whole revamp of the offensive coaching staff and put Abe back as a DB coach.

Too bad Graham doesn't like history. He would find out that when we try to be a run-first team, we suck. (Chow and von Appen)
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: A look at the recent U.H. Coaches and their record during their second season at the helm

Post by shrek2 »

The relook of the sophomoric slumps by UH coaches isn't germane to a couple of coaches being Von Appen and Chow both of whom proved not to be head coaches. Von Appen had his best year in his sophomore year and his first year and third year yielded 2 and 0 wins respectively. Chow may have been a good OC when working at BYU and USC but he was never forced to make game time decisions and apparently trained his mind to think that way. With Rolo, he put all his marbles in Dru and should have had a good backup that could throw the ball. He made the mistake and paid for it in the second year. Greg's record of 6-7 is not bad but he failed to make any headway in winning bowl games. And it was inexcusable for him to make the remark prior to playing Notre Dame regarding the LBGTQ community. JJ offered Hawaii hope in the UH football program and it didn't matter if it was a down season because people had hope and he brought all kinds of people into Aloha. At this point, because of the miserable failure of our HC to promote nepotism in the program, it's turned off the fan base to the program. I blame it on Todd for not doing careful enough thinking before choosing his son. Not saying that nepotism can't work but in this case, geez, there was no value added but value detracted when Bo took over. Don't know how UH can recover from this in 2022.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Egonator wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:54 am A look at the recent U.H. Coaches and their record during their second season at the helm

With the loss against the UNLV, this is the sixth consecutive U.H. coach that will post a losing record during their second season. Any explanation as to why this may be? Media pressure? Rebuilding? Trying to bring their guys into the system? Different offensive schemes (I.E. switching from Pro Style to Run N Shoot and vice versa)?
Irse wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:58 am I haven't looked into the others but June lost a lot of good players after his first year (Robinson, Ulbrich, Klemm, Noa, Forney). Plus his offense always struggles with a new QB until they get the offense down.

Graham has no excuse. He returned almost a whole offensive line from 2019 and they are all seniors or super seniors. He has a 1000 yd receiver in Smart. Plus Mardner is really coming on. Needs to add strength though. He's got the best 1-2 RB punch we've had in a while. No reason the O should be struggling as it is. I feel it's the offensive coaching staff. First time OC with hardly any experience as a position coach, two guys who were GAs last year, and a RB coach who was a CB coach last year (his position is the only one doing well). Overall the D is playing well. Sometimes we make stupid penalties like the late hit yesterday. DBs to me have been a disappointment. Need a whole revamp of the offensive coaching staff and put Abe back as a DB coach.

Too bad Graham doesn't like history. He would find out that when we try to be a run-first team, we suck. (Chow and von Appen)
Sorry, covid has a lot to do with the lack of practice time last year and the lack of meetings to fully communicate and establish his culture and philosophy. It is difficult to communicate, establish relationships and build trust with players without personal contact and interaction. It is hard to have a day to day reinforcement of what needs to be done. Graham has had a more difficult transition.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Egonator wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:54 am A look at the recent U.H. Coaches and their record during their second season at the helm

I may be wrong but I think except for Graham none of the others were D1 head coaches before getting the job.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

RedZone wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:55 am

I may be wrong but I think except for Graham none of the others were D1 head coaches before getting the job.
June Jones was an NFL head coach prior to Hawaii

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

TheDuke wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:45 am

Irse wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:58 am I haven't looked into the others but June lost a lot of good players after his first year (Robinson, Ulbrich, Klemm, Noa, Forney). Plus his offense always struggles with a new QB until they get the offense down.

Sorry, covid has a lot to do with the lack of practice time last year and the lack of meetings to fully communicate and establish his culture and philosophy. It is difficult to communicate, establish relationships and build trust with players without personal contact and interaction. It is hard to have a day to day reinforcement of what needs to be done. Graham has had a more difficult transition.
Wouldn't the pandemic have affected all D-1 teams with similar issues and challenges, thereby leveling the playing field in terms of Covid? It's not like Hawaii was the only D-1 college football team dealing with Covid last year.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

sure it did but not as much as it hurt a HC and assistance in their first year where he didn't have a chance to get to know his players, establish a culture, install new systems and get in real practice time. Hard to build a team if you can't work with them one on one and build relationships. It is hard to earns trust and respect in zoom meetings.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Tod Graham's record these past 14 years: 176 - 104 which is roughly a 60% winning record. He's 6 - 4 in bowl games. He was the head coach at Rice, Tulsa, Pitt, Arizona St., and now Hawaii. This thing ain't over yet. Buying out McMackin's contract was the dumbest decision Hawaii ever made. Both of his coordinators ended up as head coaches at top universities. Aranda will likely become the next head coach at USC.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

As a comparison regarding 1st year head coaches at a new school and their 1st and 2nd year won-loss records with a COVID year as his first season, take a look at Baylor with Dave Aranda:

2020 2-7
2021 8-2 so far, and with an upset special over previously undefeated Oklahoma.

And Aranda was never a head coach before.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Let's go one more back.

What was Bob Wagner's record in year 2?

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:39 am Let's go one more back.

He went 9-3 in his second year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Hawa ... tball_team

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

Ok so one coach in the last 7 has posted a winning record in their second season. Thats not great and that doesn't really answer my question of why the last six coaches have posted losing records in their second season.

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

Egonator wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:48 pm

Ok so one coach in the last 7 has posted a winning record in their second season. Thats not great and that doesn't really answer my question of why the last six coaches have posted losing records in their second season.
There must be a great scientific explanation somewhere out there. All I can think of it’s just a bad streak for our coaches going into their second year. It is what it is. Can’t change the past. I just hope we can turn things around next season.

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

Egonator wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:48 pm

There must be a great scientific explanation somewhere out there. All I can think of it’s just a bad streak for our coaches going into their second year. It is what it is. Can’t change the past. I just hope we can turn things around next season.