A look at the recent U.H. Coaches and their record during their second season at the helm

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Re: A look at the recent U.H. Coaches and their record during their second season at the helm

Post by BigWave96744 »

SundayJam wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:18 am Mac was the defensive coordinator for Mike Leach at Texas Tech. Aranda was a graduate assistant there at the same time. Leach never had a losing season at Tech in his ten years there. When I look at his time at Wazu and Mississippi State...I wonder. His first three years at Wazu: 3-9, 6-7, 3-9. He had winning seasons thereafter until his final 6-7 year turning the program over to Rolovich. At Mississippi State, he went 4-7 and currently holds a 6-4 winning record. He's being considered for the head coaching job at Texas Tech again.
Texas Tech already hired their new head coach 11 days ago, Dave Aranda's LB Coach Joey McGuire
https://www.yahoo.com/now/sources-texas ... 49856.html

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: A look at the recent U.H. Coaches and their record during their second season at the helm

Post by My3Cats »

TheDuke wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:37 am
cabanalane wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:15 am Let's not forget how Bryant Moniz went down. If he was healthy, McMackin's record may be better. IIRC, the offense literally stalled without Moniz.
We were also having a very good season until Alexander went down. McMackin was doing fine. Fans criticized him and went after him for his persona in public appearances. Firing him was a big mistake.
If my bad memory can actually recall somewhat decently, during that 6-7 year under Mac there were numerous injuries on the offensive line that reduced their depth. They actually had to move defensive linemen over to offense because there were not enough bodies. And that, if correct, had to directly affect how the offense suffered. Not Mac's, or any of the coaches, fault.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:09 am
TheDuke wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:37 am
cabanalane wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:15 am Let's not forget how Bryant Moniz went down. If he was healthy, McMackin's record may be better. IIRC, the offense literally stalled without Moniz.
We were also having a very good season until Alexander went down. McMackin was doing fine. Fans criticized him and went after him for his persona in public appearances. Firing him was a big mistake.
If my bad memory can actually recall somewhat decently, during that 6-7 year under Mac there were numerous injuries on the offensive line that reduced their depth. They actually had to move defensive linemen over to offense because there were not enough bodies. And that, if correct, had to directly affect how the offense suffered. Not Mac's, or any of the coaches, fault.
Coach Mac was on a role in 2009 until he lost Alexander. And he was on a role the year he lost Moniz. Both years ended up with losing seasons. He deserved one for year.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:04 am As a comparison regarding 1st year head coaches at a new school and their 1st and 2nd year won-loss records with a COVID year as his first season, take a look at Baylor with Dave Aranda:

2020 2-7
2021 8-2 so far, and with an upset special over previously undefeated Oklahoma.

And Aranda was never a head coach before.
Aranda has the advantage in 4 and 5 star recruits and the money and budget to do whatever he needed to do. And he had a packed stadium of rabid fans supporting his team at every home game.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

updated

2000: June Jones 3-9
2009: Greg McMackin 6-7
2017: Nick Rolovich 3-9
2021: Todd Graham 5-7* with a game to go

So why is Graham being roasted by many posters? All four had winning records their first year and regressed in year two. Graham's 2nd year record is better then both JJ and Rolo. Seems biased to me. Give the guy a break. Let him recruit what he needs, build the culture he wants and see what he can do in year four when it's his team.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

TheDuke wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:54 pm updated

2000: June Jones 3-9
2009: Greg McMackin 6-7
2017: Nick Rolovich 3-9
2021: Todd Graham 5-7* with a game to go

So why is Graham being roasted by many posters? All four had winning records their first year and regressed in year two. Graham's 2nd year record is better then both JJ and Rolo. Seems biased to me. Give the guy a break. Let him recruit what he needs, build the culture he wants and see what he can do in year four when it's his team.
I haven’t seen enough of this team. I listen on radio. But that is useless. I have watched just a few games. I am guessing that most people don’t have enough info to form an educated opinion.