Honestly, it is hard to watch this team

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Honestly, it is hard to watch this team

Post by SundayJam »

Texas paid off their last coach $12m and hired another famous coach. The result this year: a losing season. IDK, guys...Graham has run some pretty good teams in the past. I agree with Duke regarding the quarterback problem. I'm not saying we should bench him, because Schager is just not ready. His performance is throwing a monkey wrench in the whole 'junk coaches' theme.

Also, a 1-7 team can have ONE good game...just look at Chow's performance here.

The only thing I dislike about this team is not being able to watch a game.

Link

Some boring play by Hawaii. (yes, sarcasm) Losing is not the same as boring.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:32 pm Texas paid off their last coach $12m and hired another famous coach. The result this year: a losing season. IDK, guys...Graham has run some pretty good teams in the past. I agree with Duke regarding the quarterback problem. I'm not saying we should bench him, because Schager is just not ready. His performance is throwing a monkey wrench in the whole 'junk coaches' theme.

Link

After that first deep ball to Mardner, I wonder why UH never went back to that play again. Ever. If you re-watch the play to Mardner you will notice that Smart crossed under him from the left side to the right and he was wide open before the ball was thrown and Smart would have also scored. On the replay from the end zone view you see Smart zipping across the screen and on the real time view he was already open when the ball was thrown and the defender gave up on Smart. What kind of offensive coordinator do we have, not to see what happened and not to do it again with either receiver?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

My3Cats wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:42 am
SundayJam wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:32 pm Texas paid off their last coach $12m and hired another famous coach. The result this year: a losing season. IDK, guys...Graham has run some pretty good teams in the past. I agree with Duke regarding the quarterback problem. I'm not saying we should bench him, because Schager is just not ready. His performance is throwing a monkey wrench in the whole 'junk coaches' theme.

Link

After that first deep ball to Mardner, I wonder why UH never went back to that play again. Ever. If you re-watch the play to Mardner you will notice that Smart crossed under him from the left side to the right and he was wide open before the ball was thrown and Smart would have also scored. On the replay from the end zone view you see Smart zipping across the screen and on the real time view he was already open when the ball was thrown and the defender gave up on Smart. What kind of offensive coordinator do we have, not to see what happened and not to do it again with either receiver?
He probably can't see everything from the field. Chow had a hard time and so did Rolo. June was the only one who could see everything on the field. That's why they have guys upstairs. Don't know if they spotted it and relayed it to him. The rest of the offensive staff is also very green.
ImageImage

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Irse wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:27 am

Link

He probably can't see everything from the field. Chow had a hard time and so did Rolo. June was the only one who could see everything on the field. That's why they have guys upstairs. Don't know if they spotted it and relayed it to him. The rest of the offensive staff is also very green.
Norm Chow spent his time as OC in the booth and probably got to used to that view. I seem to recall that Mack had Rolo and Dave Aranda on the field as OC and DC to get the feel from there, and Dave was a booth guy before that who has evolved into a field guy after his DC stints at Utah State, Wisconsin and LSU. You do need a trusted assistant in the booth, though, to identify certain keys and subtle adjustments by opponents. I think Brian Smith is a booth guy and he complemented Craig Stuzmann on the field. Not sure what we have at OC here, except lack of productivity, consistency, adjustments, rhythm and flow - it ain't all lack of execution by players.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

my hunch is that they were unable to replace GJ Kinne and Brennon Marion when they left because of multiple factors (pay, covid stuff, timing, and/or general lack of options) and Graham decided to roll the dice with Bo as OC... and crapped out. you can't make a change mid-season because there aren't enough experienced offensive coaches on staff, so we are stuck with this until the season is over.

What's hard is that we don't know why people come and go - we assume its for money because money is the obvious choice. but I've heard that some have problems with Graham's style. We make a lot about Graham's coaching tree and how he has a long list of successful HC's who were once his assistants, but there's something to be said about guys like JJ and Rolo and even McMackin who always had "their guys" on staff and there was always a consistency and a sense of loyalty that provided stability on the staff. Is it a good thing that everyone you hire has HC aspirations and will leave in effort to climb the ladder at first opportunity? Or do the truly great coaches become great because they have great assistants and coordinators that are around for the long haul?

After two seasons of the Todd Graham experience, I think having a long list of former assistants who've gone on to become high profile HC's is not an indicator of success. If Graham is this far into his career and he can't make a call and bring in "an old friend" to fill the OC spot on short notice, is he the right fit to win "here"?

Lastly, Maybe they'd have more assistant coach budget if so much money wasn't sunk into the HC. I know we don't pay enough, but we can go 4-9 for a lot less money!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Bump. I get that it's pretty much the same kind of thread, but there were some pretty fair criticisms laid out here...plus a lot of new insight that I wasn't aware of. This is a hard team to watch only because pay-per-view isn't worth it when your guys are down. Now that we're bowl ineligible, I guess I won't get to watch another game this year.

Irse

Post by Irse »

In two years we've gone from first to worst in the Pacific Div. And this is after returning a lot of starters. Can't tell me it's a lack of talent.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

How about lack of depth?

Irse

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:20 pm How about lack of depth?
I didn't see a problem with lack of depth this year. We had some injuries but not a lot and the guys who filled in were capable.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

How about lack of depth at quarterback? Come on, man...this is THE typical problem with our level of play. Who needs a new head coach in the SEC or Pac-12? It's not about the lack of talent or depth...but optics. Dangit...if we'd given Dave Aranda a hand when the 'oh-we-can't-have-a-losing-season-people' decided to trash the program, we'd have a one in a lifetime chance at eclipsing this doldrum. I can't say if Graham is the answer, but he's not a bad choice given the circumstances.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Irse wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:27 am

Link

One of the reasons I liked June. If a play went sour all I would have do is look at who he was yelling at to know who messed up. He saw the field better than I could from the stands. One thing bothers me is that we have 2 oline coaches but still am having protection problems with a very experienced oline. Unblocked linebacker blitzing the A gap unblocked will kill our quarterback and ruin his timing. I don’t think I have seen our oline get blown off of the los this badly before which makes me wonder about our S&C program. I know coach was talking about the need for new facilities which also includes better technology for teaching the players. He thinks it will help with recruting also.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Irse

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:45 am How about lack of depth at quarterback? Come on, man...this is THE typical problem with our level of play. Who needs a new head coach in the SEC or Pac-12? It's not about the lack of talent or depth...but optics. Dangit...if we'd given Dave Aranda a hand when the 'oh-we-can't-have-a-losing-season-people' decided to trash the program, we'd have a one in a lifetime chance at eclipsing this doldrum. I can't say if Graham is the answer, but he's not a bad choice given the circumstances.
We do have a lack of depth at QB as well as OL but we haven't had to dig too far down. Schager has been a good backup and well as Tanuvasa on the OL. If we were playing the 3rd string QB or some of the other offensive linemen, then I would be talking about our lack of depth.

Graham was the right hire considering his resume as opposed to others but now I not so sure. We'll see what kind of changes occur, if any.
ImageImage