Updated: Ending my rant about Covid restrictions (for now)

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Updated: Ending my rant about Covid restrictions (for now)

Post by UnBiasFan »

So only about half the seats get filled.

This means they are doing something wrong. Maybe they are just out of touch with what people can afford or are willing to pay for dimished product (and I am not talking about the team).

There is no science here. Just failed government decision making.

The fans have spoken. People are not paying $75-$85 to sit on metal benches with no concessions.

There is no scientific reason to kill tailgating and concessions if people are vaccinated….

Updated: we need positive energy for the last three games, so I am ready to end this rant (for now)
Last edited by UnBiasFan on Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Failed nanny state game

Post by EITSwarrior »

OK thats a rant

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:09 pm OK thats a rant
Yup. I could tone it down. But I thought it perfectly describes the reason the stands are half full.

The fans may have multiple reasons for not showing up.

Reality is that only 5000 show up for ranked D1 team . Worst ever in the history of Hawaii football.

And entirely related to government decision-making in my opinion.

This is the headline. The people have spoken. Not just the guy ranting in the forum.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Or...maybe people just got used to not watching Warrior football. The whole time I was at UH, I never saw or heard any program hype on campus. It was too difficult for a student to watch a game at Aloha Stadium. With the advent of pay-per-view, fans just couldn't watch. I remember local sports bars being unable to host a pay-per-view event because they'd charge the pub per screen...whether or not the pub was showing the game on every screen. During these past years under the pandemic, many got used to playing it safe. Where I live now, the pandemic didn't start until April of this year. I get out, but I doubt I'd go to a crowded, screaming sporting event.

That said, did you go? There were a number of seats available. ;-)

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:34 pm So only about half the seats get filled.

This means they are doing something wrong. Maybe they are just out of touch with what people can afford or are willing to pay for dimished product (and I am not talking about the team).

There is no science here. Just failed government decision making. From a horrible nanny state government that does not represent our values.

The fans have spoken. People are not paying $75-$85 to sit on metal benches with no concessions.

There is no scientific reason to kill tailgating and concessions if people are vaccinated. Except the government always thinks they are better than us. And they like showing us that we are crap.

Good for the fans for rejecting this doo doo.
We had a group of 8 at the game and likely would have had at least twice if kids were allowed to attend (and mom's didn't have to stay home with the kids). The restriction on children probably had the biggest affect on attendance out of everything. But believe what you want. You are obviously in tune with game attending fans because you attend so many games yourself.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:57 pm Or...maybe people just got used to not watching Warrior football. The whole time I was at UH, I never saw or heard any program hype on campus. It was too difficult for a student to watch a game at Aloha Stadium. With the advent of pay-per-view, fans just couldn't watch. I remember local sports bars being unable to host a pay-per-view event because they'd charge the pub per screen...whether or not the pub was showing the game on every screen. During these past years under the pandemic, many got used to playing it safe. Where I live now, the pandemic didn't start until April of this year. I get out, but I doubt I'd go to a crowded, screaming sporting event.

The student section was rocking tonight. Football on campus is a game changer for students if done right.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

poidog wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:59 pm
SundayJam wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:57 pm Or...maybe people just got used to not watching Warrior football. The whole time I was at UH, I never saw or heard any program hype on campus. It was too difficult for a student to watch a game at Aloha Stadium. With the advent of pay-per-view, fans just couldn't watch. I remember local sports bars being unable to host a pay-per-view event because they'd charge the pub per screen...whether or not the pub was showing the game on every screen. During these past years under the pandemic, many got used to playing it safe. Where I live now, the pandemic didn't start until April of this year. I get out, but I doubt I'd go to a crowded, screaming sporting event.

The student section was rocking tonight. Football on campus is a game changer for students if done right.
I am jealous. Too bad we lost, but I would've loved it anyway.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

poidog wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:57 pm
We had a group of 8 at the game and likely would have had at least twice if kids were allowed to attend (and mom's didn't have to stay home with the kids). The restriction on children probably had the biggest affect on attendance out of everything. But believe what you want. You are obviously in tune with game attending fans because you attend so many games yourself.
Not a season ticket holder. But I have attended many, many games over the years. I have sat in every section of Aloha stadium with friends/family except the pizza promo seats. And been to many college football games in other places. So I know that if you get north of 30,000 (which we consistently had in the past), you get a college football experience.

I think 10,000 in Ching is sufficient. But half full is a problem. Maybe, they’ll make adjustments to fill the next one. The lack of buy in by season ticket holders should have told them something.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

I thought about going. Most games I have gone to in the past has involved families including my own. Including kids. Or it could be with some guys involving tailgating. A friend said he didn’t want to go just to drink water. I would go by myself if I lived next to campus. Even so, the bulk of tickets were $75 plus. So it was FS1 for me.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Well it was only the second home game and first with full attendance allowed. Getting all of their documents in order, including that LumiSight thing may not be easy for everyone to do. No concessions part of it too. Free TV on FS1 was a big deterrent. No one can blame PPV for this one.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

poidog wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:57 pm
UnBiasFan wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:34 pm So only about half the seats get filled.

There is no science here. Just failed government decision making. From a horrible nanny state government that does not represent our values.

There is no scientific reason to kill tailgating and concessions if people are vaccinated. Except the government always thinks they are better than us. And they like showing us that we are crap.

Good for the fans for rejecting this doo doo.
Makes sense to me

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Could be that people who used to go bought PPV so that they could watch at home.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

RedZone wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:37 pm Could be that people who used to go bought PPV so that they could watch at home.
To put in perspective how far we have fallen, we used to have to get to the stadium hours early. And thousands of cars filled the lot.

Now directly as a result of our government incompetence we have no stadium. So we move to the practice field. And to kick off life at the practice field there is no tailgating and just water. And no scientific reason vaccinated people can’t just have a regular game experience like in other states that have world class universities and far more brain power than we will ever have.

I know local culture is don’t say bad things about authority because we are on a plantation. But I am just laying out the truth as I see it. I suspect that a large part of the public sees what I am seeing. And I am no nutcase, or Trump guy, or anti-Vax guy, or what ever label they like to throw to deflect. If I got it wrong, well my post can be ignored or deleted.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

When attendance went down, we can blame it on Norm Chow. But attendance continue to say the same (low) even during Rolo's best days. I don't know why UH football is "not well." I will say it's not the actual game. It's not the wining or loosing. It's not the facility. And therefore, I will say it's not COVID. As a fan, I would go. Masks or not. Vax requirements or not. Still would go. Bob Wagner's worst attendance was better than Rolo's best + a few more thousands.

And we And I would prefer that I don't have to pay $8 for a bottle water. Yes, there is the casual fans, but where are the "regular" fans? Are we dying off?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I would attribute some of the decline in attendance to the loss of the saimin sipper generation. They were the true die hard fans. As they passed away or stopped attending due to age related issues, their sons who went with them or helped them get to, and from their cars to their seats began to either watch PPV or stop watching altogether. UH, and schools around the nation have seen some measure of declining fan bases as the younger people coming up don't give a rat's azz about sports in general, football in particular.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.