*****OFFICIAL UH vs. UTAH STATE GAME THREAD*****

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: *****OFFICIAL UH vs. UTAH STATE GAME THREAD*****

Post by UnBiasFan »

So if we can’t get ticket next week … can we watch at home?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:31 pm So if we can’t get ticket next week … can we watch at home?
Yeah game is being shown on FS1

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:10 pm
UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:31 pm So if we can’t get ticket next week … can we watch at home?
Yeah game is being shown on FS1
This is good. Thanks.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

UHALLDAWAY808 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:09 am Just saying ..If I was coach , Kaneshiro and Ford would be second or third string..But I’m not and maybe we have no one better 🤷🏻‍♂️
Not playing Kaneshiro would be sacrilegious. Because #1 local. #2 because Saint Louis.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:45 pm Sorry a$$ team plain and simple. Sorry the praying coach can't get it done. The guy in the sky isn't favoring UH FB.
Aside from the $$$, Rolo knew the talent pool drops off. As a Chow Fan (no shame), I'll say this, some of Rolo's guys were actually Chow guys.

TG is still dealing with leftover Rolo players. The "perfect team" may be when TG is chase out of town. Then the team will suck because the new HC has a different plan.

**flame suit on**

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:09 am
UHALLDAWAY808 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:09 am Just saying ..If I was coach , Kaneshiro and Ford would be second or third string..But I’m not and maybe we have no one better 🤷🏻‍♂️
Not playing Kaneshiro would be sacrilegious. Because #1 local. #2 because Saint Louis.
Eugene Ford: Started as a true freshman out of California and had a pick 6 against Fresno St.; started 10 games the next year and had 2 interceptions against Colorado State; as a junior...he got 9 starts and was a significant player in the Hawaii Bowl, last year was voted team captain. Didn't he return a fumble for a score last week? (Yeah, this guys sucks.)

Kai Kaneshiro: Led the team in interceptions as a red shirt freshman...including a pick 6; last year...he was the starter at safety... (yeah, they only play him because he's local.)

Sh*t happens. The best player gets the start. No one cares about which high school you went to. Did the Jets start Rich Miano because he went to Kaiser high school and played at UH?

What happens if we get a win next week? You're probably gonna say it was because the Aztecs weren't a nationally ranked team any more. The Aztecs are junk because the got beaten by Fresno 30 - 20 last week...wait, what?!!! We beat the Bull Dogs with our defense this year...and...we handed them their only conference loss.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Replay if you had to listen to BC and watch stats. Too bad Utah stats was slow unlike UH stats which is faster than audio.

Link
I hope they change their streaming in the future to not use the phone app.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:52 pm Replay if you had to listen to BC and watch stats. Too bad Utah stats was slow unlike UH stats which is faster than audio.

Link
I hope they change their streaming in the future to not use the phone app.
Thanks! Baseball and radio is ok with me. But football needs the film.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:47 am Bobby Curran is really not qualified in being a game broadcaster and it was really annoying in this game it took him about 30 seconds to drag out the sentence, "its liiiike usssing chiiiicken parts... to make chiiicken salad." You could have used that time for a commercial. There is no down and distance talk on every play. He does not say things other normal broadcasters say like the play went for 21 yards on the pass to the WR. If anybody can put a damper on recruiting, its him. As for an alumni, its a real turn off to make me want to contribute.
I listen to BC and Robert Veneri and you think the sky is falling because they talk like a couple of drunk fans putting down the officials and the UH football team especially when the online play by play is coming out really slow. When you actually watch the game, Hawaii actually played well. Let's hope that Hawaii games in the future are put some streaming service outside of a telephone app since a lot of mainland Hawaii fans and player families want to watch the game without having to download an app. I'm willing to pay for the service, just not wanting to put junk on my phone.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Thanks shrek2 for the game. Hawaii's 1st two possessions were unlucky: first a fumbled running back exchange on 3rd/short and then a tipped pass in the end zone. I thought the first TD by the Aggies was awarded to them by the referees. (Was that really pass interference in the end zone?) I hate to see the opposition score so much on us but luck was definitely on their side...and they're a pretty good, well-coached team. We could've won this one.

Edit: I got a little more time to watch the game and really noticed the awful officiating. That pass to Panoke that was ruled out of bounds...dude had two feet down with control of the ball. Hawaii had to settle for a field goal. Then, Pavai got called for a blind side defensive block that was HEAD-ON!!! WTF?!!! I felt like the broadcasters and the referees were accomplices in downplaying Hawaii.

The commentary was awful. Why gush over with so much minutiae about the opposition? Dudes were like fanboys for the Aggies. It was like listening to a nerd describing Star Wars memorabilia. TMI...

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

SundayJam wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:31 pm What happens if we get a win next week? You're probably gonna say it was because the Aztecs weren't a nationally ranked team any more. The Aztecs are junk because the got beaten by Fresno 30 - 20 last week...wait, what?!!! We beat the Bull Dogs with our defense this year...and...we handed them their only conference loss.
Dang...both teams made the top 25 list today. I guess I was wrong.

I finally got to watch the rest of the game. Utah State played a good game, but so did Hawaii. The officiating stunk to high hell. There were weird calls on Ta'ala, Pavai, and Manning...among others... that just didn't make sense. The officiating crew kept reviewing bad calls and talking each other out of other bad-calls without a review. It seemed like Utah State got away with an awful lot of taunting as well throughout the game. IDK guys...

This week we face another ranked opponent. Let's hope we don't have the same officiating crew. Let's hope we have as much luck and momentum as we had against Fresno.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

One of Rolo's best accomplishments here was that his teams did unusually well on the road, and at altitude. Having been a player here and then having coached here previously, he likely had a very good feel for how to travel and perform. I think that caused us to get a little spoiled with always being competitive when playing at places like USU. Even when Rolo lost, it was competitive (like against Josh Allen).

Todd Graham, like many other UH coaches, has not yet figured out how to prepare the team to perform at altitude or much at all on the road. He'll get two more chances very soon

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

poidog wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:16 am One of Rolo's best accomplishments here was that his teams did unusually well on the road, and at altitude. Having been a player here and then having coached here previously, he likely had a very good feel for how to travel and perform. I think that caused us to get a little spoiled with always being competitive when playing at places like USU. Even when Rolo lost, it was competitive (like against Josh Allen).

Todd Graham, like many other UH coaches, has not yet figured out how to prepare the team to perform at altitude or much at all on the road. He'll get two more chances very soon
LOL...Rolo was not competitive vs. USU. He lost 56-17 here in Hawaii. He was even worse AT Utah State...couldn't even score 1 point. That said: I like both Rolovich and Graham. I think most fans tend to look to the past with rose colored glasses. This is Graham's second year and he scored more points in one game at Utah State than Rolovich scored in two games.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:12 am
poidog wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:16 am One of Rolo's best accomplishments here was that his teams did unusually well on the road, and at altitude. Having been a player here and then having coached here previously, he likely had a very good feel for how to travel and perform. I think that caused us to get a little spoiled with always being competitive when playing at places like USU. Even when Rolo lost, it was competitive (like against Josh Allen).

LOL...Rolo was not competitive vs. USU. He lost 56-17 here in Hawaii. He was even worse AT Utah State...couldn't even score 1 point. That said: I like both Rolovich and Graham. I think most fans tend to look to the past with rose colored glasses. This is Graham's second year and he scored more points in one game at Utah State than Rolovich scored in two games.
Good observation. Lost in 2017 38-0 at Logan. So much for the run and shoot that year. I could never figure out why Cole was not brought in to pass in 2016 but just to run when they had Dru.