What Makes You Optimistic About UH's Chances Against Nevada?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

There's many answers and that is a good thing.

In the last two games/seasons Hawaii was the underdog against Nevada. In 2019 (+2) and won 54-3 at Reno. Last season Nevada came to Honolulu riding a 5 game winning streak, and was designated a 7 point favorite and lost 24-21. The defense held Strong to 168 yards passing. The year before the defense held Strong to 46 yards. What can be said is that UH has Nevada and Strong's number. The upcoming game may see Nevada as possibly a 13 point favorite (according to the sagarian tables) yet I feel confident in the Warrior's chances.

These are some the reasons.

Hawaii's the new home of the ball hawks and tomahawks and national defensive player of the week.

These group of players are in super condition.

The player's pride, spirit and team work is peaking, especially after beating Fresno. They're on a nice wave .

Graham vs Norvell. The players know the history and want to go all out for their coach.

The offense really hasn't hit its stride and are due to have a break out game. With Hunter (5.5 /a carry) and Parsons (5.8/a carry) the running game has been coming on strong of late. If all the pieces come together good results are bound to happen. If Bo can find milking the cow it will keep the defense fresh and put pressure on Nevada to answer.

CC now has the needed motivation to perform at his best. And if CC can't go I think S will have another remarkable performance and show improvement from the Fresno game.

DM is due to uncork it. A total of 1 assisted tackle last week and I can see him being very hungry in this game.

Tons of NFL scouts at the game may be added inspiration for the players.

On national TV.

Knowing the ramifications of the game. Win and the team is still in the hunt. Lose and the team is out of the race. This team is made up of ballers they're driven to win.

Bye week. After going six weeks straight the extra week off gives the team a small break and allows the players to enter the Nevada game mentally and physically fresh. This can make a difference. Plus there may be added plays to the playbook. And some polishing of the screenpass, wildcat and TE play.

The number one reason why I'm optimistic is because Hawaii's defensive line grades substantially better than Nevada's offensive line. According to pff.com these are the grades of the players (thru 6 games) With four of the Warriors top five defenders on the defensive line the battle in trenches should favor the Warriors (you can see how poorly Nevadas offensive line grades). Plus the Warrior have tons of depth (fresh legs). What I see on paper the Warrior's should be able to pressure Strong, get to the heart of Nevada's offense, allowing the secondary occassionally to drop 8 which is key to stopping the QB and inducing turnovers. I saw that in the Fresno game. It can happen again. What also looks promising is the Warrior's offensive line has upped its grades the last couple of games.

DE-Mathews-75.4
DT-Taala-74.6
DT-Tonga-72.3
CB-Bethley-70.8
DE-Laulu-70.3

Add in McKinney, Tavai, Baker

Nevada's offensive line:

T-Frost-64.0
G-Davis-60.2
C-Orsini-57.6
G-Ledbetter-54.5
T-Gardner-46.5

Hawaii's offensive line:

T-Manning, Pryor-69.6
G-Vanterpool-65.2
C-Levao-62.0
G-Tanuvasa-56.0

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: What Makes You Optimistic About UH's Chances Against Nevada?

Post by poidog »

Our coaches out-coached theirs last season and came out with a great game plan on the defensive side (soft against the run, take away the pass). Can they do it again?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I'm optimistic about this game because it's against a MWC team. Get chance.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:57 am I'm optimistic about this game because it's against a MWC team. Get chance.
I am optimistic because I am a glass half full kind of person. As long as they bring da juice, I see a win.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

As long as they keep the silly penalties down and play with discipline then we will be okay.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I am optimistic and will always be optimistic because I am a Rainbow Warrior fan.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Always get chance, also with the win over Fresno and a bye week to help heal up some injuries this team will be pumped up and ready.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I'm optimistic because this is a GOOD team. ;-)

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

I am surprized Nevada's a 16 point favorite. Against NMS, Nevada averaged 7.7 yards an offensive play. UH averaged 8.1 against the same team. Against NMS Nevada rushed for 93 yards whereas UH rushed for 215 yards. As potent as Nevada's offense is the team still punted 6 times and the QB was sacked 4 times, and converted 2-10 on 3rd downs. Of Strongs 32 passes 11 were screens and another 10 were beiween 0-10 yards. I acknowledged that Strongs a good QB but I think UH's pass defense matches up well, especially with all the short passes. NMS offensive line is probably the worse in the nation and it's no surprise that the Nevada defenders got to the NMS QB 6 times, especially 99, Dom Peterson. Imo I think NMS made Nevada look better than they are because if you take away NMS 100 yards in penalties in the game, poor offensive line play, 29 rushes for 27 yards and replaced these numbers with average performances to go along with NMS QB's 420 yards passing this game would be a lot closer. Looking at Nevada's pass defense I think UH will exploit this weakness. And if UH's running game is on fire you/I have to like the Warriors chances.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Nevada has a lot going for them. Nevada was up 52 - 7 after three quarters last week. Perhaps it was all back-ups playing for Nevada in the 4th quarter? They have away game wins at Stanford and Boise St. Their only loss was to a pretty good Kansas St. team. I'm glad we are coming off a bye week.