UH Will Play at Ching Field - 100% Capacity Being Allowed

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

UH Will Play at Ching Field - 100% Capacity Being Allowed

Post by Irse »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1348721388656472098 Do they have locker rooms big enough for the visiting team?
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Re: UH football games at Ching field?

Post by uhwarriors »

Similar article in SA. The biggest challenge and there are many will be getting City approvals for the improvements to Ching Field. It does help that Mayor Rick Blangiardi is not only a former UH coach and player, but a big supporter of UH football. He was the president of Na Koa Football Club.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/01/ ... on-campus/

"The recent announcement regarding the limitations of Aloha Stadium – home of our Rainbow Warrior football team for more than 40 years – has created an opportunity,” UH athletic director David Matlin said in a release. “We are committed to transforming the Clarence T.C. Ching Athletics Complex into a viable venue for our football team to play home games for at least the next three years. There is a lot of work and collaboration to be done, including with the City & County and our neighbors, but we are extremely excited about this opportunity and see enormous potential in playing on-campus for the first time in our history. Our goal is to offer a more intimate experience for our fans and a direct path for our student body to engage and create a true college football atmosphere.”

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

Irse wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:23 am Do they have locker rooms big enough for the visiting team?
they can put up a ring of porta-potties by klum gym for the other team to change. :lol:

I like this idea for the short term, lots of potential.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Fully expected the games to be moved to Ching Field. Hope the improvements to Ching Field are made in time for the season. But I'm not opposed to a game on Maui at least once a year until the new Aloha Stadium is built.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

HONOLULU – The University of Hawai‘i Athletics Department is moving forward with plans to host football games, on the Mānoa campus, at the Clarence T.C. Ching Athletics Complex beginning with the upcoming season.

The Athletics Department is working with the UH-Mānoa Office of Project Delivery to design plans that would increase the seating capacity; replace the existing turf, install a new scoreboard and speaker system; upgrade the press box; and other amenities needed to host Division I college football games.

“The recent announcement regarding the limitations of Aloha Stadium – home of our Rainbow Warrior football team for more than 40 years – has created an opportunity,” Athletics Director David Matlin said. “We are committed to transforming the Clarence T.C. Ching Athletics Complex into a viable venue for our football team to play home games for at least the next three years. There is a lot of work and collaboration to be done, including with the City & County and our neighbors, but we are extremely excited about this opportunity and see enormous potential in playing on-campus for the first time in our history. Our goal is to offer a more intimate experience for our fans and a direct path for our student body to engage and create a true college football atmosphere.”

For nearly a century, UH played home games at two venues – Aloha Stadium in Hālawa (1975-2019) and Honolulu Stadium in Mō‘ili‘ili (1926-74). Prior to Honolulu Stadium, Hawai‘i played at various sites including Punahou’s Alexander Field and Mō‘ili‘ili Field.

The Athletics Department’s goal is to complete the project in time for the 2021 season opener against Portland State on September 4. The 2021 season includes six home games.

Other details are still being developed such as ticketing, parking, concessions, etc., and once finalized, will be shared through UH’s official newsletter (H-Mail), website (hawaiiathletics.com), social media, and other media partners.

#HawaiiFB

Derek Inouchi
Director of Media Relations
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Athletics Department
1337 Lower Campus Rd. | Honolulu, HI 96822
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Just thankful that David Matlin is the UH AD in charge (instead of his recent predecessors) taking the lead (when other State stakeholders never publicly reacted to the stadium shutdown).

Also thankful for a new Mayor Rick Blangiardi who steadily supports UH Athletics and can assist with City approvals (including any from the City Council).

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

ching field for games sounds good to me. hope designs come in for 20-25K seating at minimum. early game times would help, too. pop-up park and rides around the island, with buses or shuttles, could alleviate traffic jams and an early start time would give bus and shuttle users confidence that they can get back to their cars or homes safely.

the atmosphere of the games would dramatically change for the better with more students being able to attend on campus games.

even with a 20-25K seat stadium on campus, the university would still be able to outsource premier games to the newer larger 30-35K halawa stadium seating.

should be a win win for all: state, university, players, students and fans.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

st808 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:17 pm ching field for games sounds good to me. hope designs come in for 20-25K seating at minimum. early game times would help, too. pop-up park and rides around the island, with buses or shuttles, could alleviate traffic jams and an early start time would give bus and shuttle users confidence that they can get back to their cars or homes safely.

the atmosphere of the games would dramatically change for the better with more students being able to attend on campus games.

even with a 20-25K seat stadium on campus, the university would still be able to outsource premier games to the newer larger 30-35K halawa stadium seating.

should be a win win for all: state, university, players, students and fans.
I don't see 20k capacity. Maybe 15k max to hit that NCAA requirement if UH can't get a waiver.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

I would think that (season & individual game) ticket prices (along with on-campus game day parking fees) will be inversely proportional to the available seating capacity.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

kapakahi wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:48 pm I would think that (season & individual game) ticket prices (along with on-campus game day parking fees) will be inversely proportional to the available seating capacity.
I will pay any price to go to a game on campus.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

poidog wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:51 am
kapakahi wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:48 pm I would think that (season & individual game) ticket prices (along with on-campus game day parking fees) will be inversely proportional to the available seating capacity.
I will pay any price to go to a game on campus.
Me too! :dubthum:

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Wonder how they are going to do the concessions.
ImageImage

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Irse wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:24 am Wonder how they are going to do the concessions.
I think they could put a giant screen at Les Murakami and sell seats there too. This is we’re they sell the concessions. You walk over and sit down and have your beer in general admission seating at the baseball stadium. And you sell GA seats for $15 for those that are willing to sit there to watch on the screen. Students $5.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

UnBiasFan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:24 am
Irse wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:24 am Wonder how they are going to do the concessions.
I think they could put a giant screen at Les Murakami and sell seats there too. This is we’re they sell the concessions. You walk over and sit down and have your beer in general admission seating at the baseball stadium. And you sell GA seats for $15 for those that are willing to sit there to watch on the screen. Students $5.
Or same idea but in the Stan Sheriff Center

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Steven Tsai seems to think that they might get funding for Aloha Stadium repairs before the first game. Anybody know the undercurrents of his statement? Or, is this just wishful thinking?