How Big Of A Game Did Cortez Davis Have Against Fresno?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

He had a huge game.

And not to take away from Khoury Bethley's MWC Defensive Player of The Week Award (and deservingly so), Davis absolutely put the lid on Fresno's offense and QB Haener.

Against the top QB, WR's and RB in the MWC Davis won the battle big time and he likely impressed the NFL scouts along the way. If Davis wasn't on the NFL map before he definitely is on it now.

Of Haener's 50 passing attempts, 28 of which were completed for 388 yards Davis' was targeted 8 times and allowed his man 3 completions for only 15 total yards. Cropper, Fresno's best receiver who had 14 receptions against UCLA, managed no receptions against Davis. On the day Davis had 2 pass breakups, and a TD saving interception at the Warrior's 2 yard line to go along with 3 tackles.

What can be said about Davis' performance is that he was definitely a thorn in Fresno's offense and might explain why Haener was pressing on his throws (56% completion rate, which is 17 points lower than his season average) away from Davis' coverage for he has, like, one less receiver to throw to.

It doesn't get any better than this. And you have to like Hawaii's chances against Nevada if Davis and the defense comes up with a repeat performances against Strong, Doubs and the TE. I think it can happen again.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: How Big Of A Game Did Cortez Davis Have Against Fresno?

Post by My3Cats »

Thanks for bringing that up sarvicdar. Definitely doesn't always show up in the stats and mentions.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Pff.com also named C to its weekly national first team. That's quite an achievement.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

http://www.cfbstats.com/2021/leader/nat ... ort01.html

2nd nationally at passes defended

The Nevada game will be a huge test for C. The QB (Strong) is projected 1-2 round pick and the WR (Doubs) is a projected 2-3 round pick. You can bet there will be a lot of scouts at the game. And I hope C and the defense nails it.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

He is our best cover corner and makes plays. I also like Lockridge. Really quick.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: