*** Official Brayden Schager Thread ***

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: What Are Your First Impressions Of Brayden Shrager?

Post by RedZone »

I like him. He just needs to be refined. We lose a running quarterback with him but he does a lot of nice things with his arm. What stood out to me was his toughness. When he took that sack I thought it was all over but he got up and shook it off. Still it is a different offense with him and the coaches will have to figure it out. His handoffs are at times weird. His passes should improve having more time with the ones. Overall I think he did okay for a first start.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Brayden flashed some of his skill set, which will develop with time and maturity. What was big, to me, is that he did not appear to have a "deer in the headlights" debut as a true freshman and was quite composed given the circumstances. If he puts in the work, his future and the program's future will be bright.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

My impression. Poised, cool, took hits, good arm.

Unlike most posters I disagree that Bo called a bad game.
1. He protected his young QB.
2. At least three of those long throws should have been pass interference, holding the receiver.
3. The long passes put Fresno's D on notice. Our receivers were beating their CBs. They couldn't stack the box and it opened up the run game.
4. They won.

Schager
1. Schager throws a catchable ball.
2. Very good pocket prescence.
3. He scans the field. He knows where his receivers are.
4. He doesn't have happy feet. He takes shots to throw passes.

My other observation
1. This team runs the ball well.
2. As a team all the RBs are averaging 5+ yards per carry except CC.
3. The OL isn't getting the cudos they deserve for running the ball.
4. Other teams will have to play to stop the run.
5. When we minimize mistakes we can be a good team.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

first possession touchdown second possession field goal. After that great help came from defense. My question is how do the team feel about him? Did he provide the spark needed to win the last game? Is he a good leader? I don't know.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Schager Year 3

Post by bigislandkurt »

So here we are about to enter year 3 of the Braydon Schager era.
I am certainly a fan of his and hope year 3 pays off for him.
It is no doubt that he has a strong arm and good pedigree. Yet there were times where I found myself questioning his touch as there was always a whole lot of heat coming off of those balls. Part of this could have been the receivers just not catching the balls thrown at them. I know he got the physical tools. I just hope that another year with Coach Timmy has gotten him primed for true R&S football.
Thoughts on Schager year 3?
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Re: Schager Year 3

Post by anykine »

todd graham left,but we have a lot of texas players that have stayed loyal to the program.schager has been through a lot of change in his career.i want to see him succeed in the run and shoot system.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Gosh...it's awful hard to judge this guy. He only started as a sophomore because Cordeiro went over to the dark side. Also, I don't know what to make of the whole Jedi vs Empire show-down with SJSU. They won. Both quarterbacks didn't do much. To be honest, I don't have much first-hand information of his play. I couldn't watch many (any) games because Hawaii sucked. I don't really care about Chevan, it was Muasau that was a game-changer. Congratulations to UCLA for netting a starting middle linebacker with all this drama and miss-scheduling of money games in 2021.

Having lived through the debacles of Von Appen and Chow, I think this era is different. Whether Shager flourishes under this new system and tutelage is your guess as good as mine. I wish him, and us, the best.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Jump aboard the BS13 ship and get your merch.
https://thebraydenschager.com/

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Wow, didn't know I can get BS13 merch. May we need to stock up on gear for HS players too.

I think BS13 look "better" in the TG era than with Chang. I felt like BS13 knew what he was doing in Bo's system and looked lost at times with Chang. Football is a team sport, so could be receivers, could be everyone. Not the way we want to start, but the finger pointing ultimately goes back to the coaches. We all love Timmy Chang, but is he the right guy? UH is stuck on the "local thing" and I understand and agree. But perhaps we are missing out on other coaches.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Not just Schager, but have to count on the receivers understanding the R&S as well. A quarterback has to do his job, but if the receivers miss their reads compared to what the QB reads, then the QB looks horrible. Hoping that they all get on the same page before the season gets underway. Also the newbies need to learn fast. If Schager goes down (perish the thought), who steps up next?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:26 am Wow, didn't know I can get BS13 merch. May we need to stock up on gear for HS players too.

I think BS13 look "better" in the TG era than with Chang. I felt like BS13 knew what he was doing in Bo's system and looked lost at times with Chang. Football is a team sport, so could be receivers, could be everyone. Not the way we want to start, but the finger pointing ultimately goes back to the coaches. We all love Timmy Chang, but is he the right guy? UH is stuck on the "local thing" and I understand and agree. But perhaps we are missing out on other coaches.
As a previous poster noted, Schager's first year was playing second fiddle to Chaven during Graham's last year. Chang's first year was also Schager's first to take the keys to the offense. Last year was pretty much a blur for not only Schager, but for many coaches and teammates alike.

Here we go with year 3. If he is or is NOT the guy, we shall soon find out.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I think BS13 should have taken the redshirt option a long time ago. He looked promising in TG's system. As a true freshman, I think that "scared" CC. The writing was on the wall for UH on who was to be the starting QB. CC was invited to TG's BBQ, no? Could be wrong. We can say San Jose was a better team (and rightfully so), but UH was CC's team, and agree with him being salty if, a big if, he think his was going to be replaced.

It's too late for BS13 to take the redshirt option because the starting QB job is his to lose, or give it up. I think the extra year is good for their physical development. BS13 look bigger/stronger compare to his 1st year. Most guys look too skinny as a freshman. Nasty Nate, Joey Iosefa, and Steven Lakalaka did not look or play like a beast until a few more plate lunches.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/StarAdvertiser/status/1678977533914619904 https://twitter.com/ESPNHonolulu/status/1680064647809105927

CityOfWalrus
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by CityOfWalrus »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:26 am Wow, didn't know I can get BS13 merch. May we need to stock up on gear for HS players too.

Why are you so negative? How is Chang not the right guy? He's putting together one of the best classes recruiting we've seen in awhile, he's got the entire state re-invigorated again and TG was absolute gongshow. BS didn't look better under TG that's absolutely laughable. Bo's offense was GAHbage, ill say that again GAHbage. Nothing about TG era was good except the recruits that stayed after he left.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

We all love T Chang. My reply is not so negative, but you can say half empty. This is football, and in the end you got to judge W vs L. First year is 3-10. Yes, things can only get better. If not, we need to start asking if he is the right guy for the job. That's how the business goes. Is BS the right guy? I don't know. I hope so. If not, it's the coaches job to play the right guy, or help him develop. I think the decision to call for "Fire T-Chang" will come after this coming year, or not. Fans only have the patience for 2 year + before they start chanting. T Chang has a 4 year contract, but unless there is a big improvement, the chants will come. This thread is about Schager in Year 3. IMO, Chang have "no choice" but to start Schager as he is the most experienced. Sort of like how TG went with Chevan Cordeiro.

Fact remains, we never heard TG's side of the story, and it does not matter today. There were times the offense looked bad under Bo, but seems like things got "better" toward the end. Ok, the culture was toxic. But his record stands. IMO, if everyone was to "work it out" and not air things out in public, I think TG would have had an awesome year 3. And by today, the storyline of TG would be different. And back to the topic, we would have a much experience, and confident Schager starting in Year 3.