Post by CityOfWalrus »

Timmy Chang for OC

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Bo has got to go

Post by poidog »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:58 am
cabanalane wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:20 pm I'm going to take a counter point to this. What's wrong with a father wanting to help his son, in his coaching career? It's sort of like starting a freshman QB. There's going to be growing pains. Maybe Bo, by getting this chance at OC, give him an opportunity somewhere else? That retro UH baseball gear he wore shows maybe he is trying to fit in, be part of UH and Hawaii in some ways.
Bc learning on the job is not for leadership position plain and simple. It's equivalent to your CEO dad making you VP of Operations but you don't have the 15 yrs typically needed for position. Leadership in coaching is earned by experience.
I kind of agree with cabanalane... if being able to have his son as OC in year #2 is part of what keeps Graham here, so be it. I would prefer that to Graham leaving just to get more cash somewhere else. Also, it's not like Graham made his son OC on day #1 - GJ Kinne was a good coaching prospect and he left for a really good opportunity.

Truth is... if the O Line keeps run blocking like they've been in the last few games, it doesn't matter who the OC is because if you can regularly call basic run plays that go for 70 yds, you are going to be successful!

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

poidog wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:02 pm
cabanalane wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:20 pm I'm going to take a counter point to this. What's wrong with a father wanting to help his son, in his coaching career? It's sort of like starting a freshman QB. There's going to be growing pains. Maybe Bo, by getting this chance at OC, give him an opportunity somewhere else? That retro UH baseball gear he wore shows maybe he is trying to fit in, be part of UH and Hawaii in some ways.
Bc learning on the job is not for leadership position plain and simple. It's equivalent to your CEO dad making you VP of Operations but you don't have the 15 yrs typically needed for position. Leadership in coaching is earned by experience.
I kind of agree with cabanalane... if being able to have his son as OC in year #2 is part of what keeps Graham here, so be it. I would prefer that to Graham leaving just to get more cash somewhere else. Also, it's not like Graham made his son OC on day #1 - GJ Kinne was a good coaching prospect and he left for a really good opportunity.

Truth is... if the O Line keeps run blocking like they've been in the last few games, it doesn't matter who the OC is because if you can regularly call basic run plays that go for 70 yds, you are going to be successful!
Thing is that will only happen against second tier teams - not the likes of SDSU, Boise ST, etc. I'll bet anyone. UH simply doesnt have the horses as I have said. Sad ppls expectations are so low.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Boise State isn't doing so well this year. Still, I'm glad we don't have to play them. The maladies affecting Hawaii are multitude. How many blocked punts have we endured? We had a punter take a knee in the opponent's red zone too...surprisingly, we only gave up 3 points on that play. We played away games at two top-tier Pac12 teams. The RPO doesn't work so well with a true-freshman quarterback who can't run. Our long pass threat doesn't work so well with a...I don't wanna say it. There is good news: we have a pretty good run-game; our defense can score; and that green quarterback might just improve enough to win us a few games.

Defense wins games and we've got a bonafide, fricken genius in that discipline as head coach.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

offense and defense isn't the issue. The issue is making dumb mistakes that have cost us games.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Bam Bam who? He was great, but just too small. I like this power-style football. I don't think we are there yet. Fakava, Simms, Iosefa. I'm sure my memory is off, but not that far off. I recall every time Hekoti Fakava touched the ball it was 3-7 yard run, straight up in your face style. No fancy. So it was "easy" to run on all 3 downs, for the 1st down.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

As much as I dislike the screen passes behind the line of scrimmage which result in minus yardage (every time) that we seem to run even from the GJ Kinne days and the lack of a short passing game, Bo is Todd's choice and I would really hate to see an alienation of our new head coach who has instilled a feeling of believing. Coach Penni as well, used to say that she was coach's wife when sitting in the ASU stands to let them know that she wouldn't put up for insensitive comments about Coach and son (he was assistant at ASU until incident with coed). One of the biggest problems with hiring and keeping a good coaching staff is the low pay and high cost of living in Hawaii.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I wonder - are the screen pass plays that we run under TG the same type of play that was run under our former RnS coaches, referred to as the "jail break" or "bubble screen"? Because it ain't working right now.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

The pass behind the line that seems to be working is the swing pass to the running back which may be a touch pass maybe Brayden is better at. That pass was last successful with Bryant Moniz. With 8 dropping back in coverage, its tough developing a game plan especially if they have three strong pass rushers. I know they can't continue to go long if the wide receiver is always going to run straight up the field. They need some comeback routes with timing with the QB and receiver.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:22 am I wonder - are the screen pass plays that we run under TG the same type of play that was run under our former RnS coaches, referred to as the "jail break" or "bubble screen"? Because it ain't working right now.
No...it's very different. In this version the WRs are blocking and not the OL, so do wall of big boys and option to cutback against the grain.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I don't mind the screen passes and I love the swing passes to the RBs. That's what keeps the DEs, safeties and LBs honest. By stretching the field horizontally you open the running lanes, DEs can't just pin their ears back and pass rush and the LBs and safeties have to support those passes and the running game. You don't have to get yards to have an affect on the game. If you have a receiver that can beat a CB eventually you get the long TD. The QB has to execute when that receiver gets a step. So far our QBs have not thrown good long passes when the receivers have been open on the long passes. And there have been a few PIs/pass D holding that were not called.

And I do like multi dimensional backs that run with authority, can block, have great balance and speed and that can catch passes. Both Hunter and Parsons have those attributes. Other RBs we had were either runners or blockers. Green and Ilaoa were multi dimensional but Hunter and Parsons have better speed. I bet Johnson is as multidimensional.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

You guys love losing to USU by 20? Kinda of a joke of a viable team.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:40 pm

Thing is that will only happen against second tier teams - not the likes of SDSU, Boise ST, etc. I'll bet anyone. UH simply doesnt have the horses as I have said. Sad ppls expectations are so low.
Hate being right, but someone has to carry the burden.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:43 pm You guys love losing to USU by 20? Kinda of a joke of a viable team.
Rolovich

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:13 pm
My3Cats wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:22 am I wonder - are the screen pass plays that we run under TG the same type of play that was run under our former RnS coaches, referred to as the "jail break" or "bubble screen"? Because it ain't working right now.
No...it's very different. In this version the WRs are blocking and not the OL, so do wall of big boys and option to cutback against the grain.
Mahalo Palolo, I thought something looked different.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.