EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Bo has got to go

Post by EITSwarrior »

Grinch wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:10 pm If Bo
Got to go
Re-hire Rolo
Ummm no. Only if Rolo takes a very low salary if he gets his Wazzu buyout. I still believe in TG, not Bo though.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:45 pm
Grinch wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:10 pm If Bo
Got to go
Re-hire Rolo
Ummm no. Only if Rolo takes a very low salary if he gets his Wazzu buyout. I still believe in TG, not Bo though.
+1 and even if Rolo takes a low salary, I'll go with a coach that wants to protect his players and the UH institution. TG's the man!

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Please no ROLO. It's like wanting your girlfriend back after she left in the middle of the night with a guy with a bigger checkbook. There are other options for OC types. No Bo...and definitely no Rolo.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Rolo not vaxxed. All UH coaches are.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:05 pm Please no ROLO. It's like wanting your girlfriend back after she left in the middle of the night with a guy with a bigger checkbook. There are other options for OC types. No Bo...and definitely no Rolo.
Was there an auto-correction? Did you type "checkbook?"

I agree, Rolo left us. The same with Stuz, and B. Smith. And same with JJ. I loved the magic of the R&S, but nope.

I do believe TG will leave UH one day. He was out of coaching. UH is his ticket back in. He will "earn" his way back. So I hope he "handle" it right.

Dick Tomey left UH, for better opportunity at UA. We don't fault him for that. I saw the press conference back then. A grown man had tears when talking about leaving Hawaii.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:26 am
Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:05 pm Please no ROLO. It's like wanting your girlfriend back after she left in the middle of the night with a guy with a bigger checkbook. There are other options for OC types. No Bo...and definitely no Rolo.

I agree, Rolo left us. The same with Stuz, and B. Smith. And same with JJ. I loved the magic of the R&S, but nope.

I do believe TG will leave UH one day. He was out of coaching. UH is his ticket back in. He will "earn" his way back. So I hope he "handle" it right.

Dick Tomey left UH, for better opportunity at UA. We don't fault him for that. I saw the press conference back then. A grown man had tears when talking about leaving Hawaii.
Meant checkbook....keeping it PG13.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:47 pm
cabanalane wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:26 am

Meant checkbook....keeping it PG13.
Just say "a bigger you-know-what." "Checkbook" is too vague.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Yeah, Rolo left for the bigger checkbook, but once the romance is over, then what? I get some feel it's their right not to be vaccinated, but Rolo just want an out. This was the easy way out. He was not "fired." Being fired could mess up his career.

Being a HC is not what it's cut out to be. Not everybody is cut out to be HC. Just ask Norm Chow. Today the name Norm Chow = failed. Prior to UH, many would say he was the best OC, and got the facts to back it up.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

You guys are getting too negative. The positives: Improved running game, improved defense, improved depth, better recruits. It's not the play calling that has cost us games. It's the mistakes, dropped balls and turnovers. The team is getting better. Receivers were open on deep passes. As a team we under threw open receivers, receivers dropped balls and PIs were not called. Deep passes opened up the running game. JJ used to say throw long and let them know that they can't stack the box. This is the best runnung game we've had in a long time. I don't hear any one complaining about Hunter's two big runs on 1st down in the last game.

Take away the mistakes and we would have won a couple more games against very good teams.

The coaches didn't drop the balls, have a ball hit them in back on a punt, fail to block rushers on a punt. Football is a team game. Coaches coach and players execute. There is enough blame to go around for everyone.

This is year two of what normally takes 4 years. Both JJ and Rolo had three win seasons in year two. It is a team that is work in progress. Just based on the roster and recruits next year looks better and promising

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

TheDuke wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:45 am You guys are getting too negative. The positives: Improved running game, improved defense, improved depth, better recruits. It's not the play calling that has cost us games. It's the mistakes, dropped balls and turnovers. The team is getting better. Receivers were open on deep passes. As a team we under threw open receivers, receivers dropped balls and PIs were not called. Deep passes opened up the running game. JJ used to say throw long and let them know that they can't stack the box. This is the best runnung game we've had in a long time. I don't hear any one complaining about Hunter's two big runs on 1st down in the last game.

Take away the mistakes and we would have won a couple more games against very good teams.

The coaches didn't drop the balls, have a ball hit them in back on a punt, fail to block rushers on a punt. Football is a team game. Coaches coach and players execute. There is enough blame to go around for everyone.

This is year two of what normally takes 4 years. Both JJ and Rolo had three win seasons in year two. It is a team that is work in progress. Just based on the roster and recruits next year looks better and promising
Valid points. Coaches coach, players play, and coaches do not play. However, I see situational play-calling deficiencies and absence of a flow or timely adjustments on the offensive side. There is some creativity, but It tends to get stagnant to me.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

^^^ Agree. Not seeing called plays with easy completions that keep or put the offense in rhythm and flow

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

It's the mental mistakes and turnovers that have disrupted the offensive flow of the game. Dropped passes on first or second downs breaks breaks the rhythm of any possession. You can't deny the three PIs that weren't called in the Fresno game. The game at Reno was close till the blocked punt and the punt to the back of a coverage player.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:54 pm ^^^ Agree. Not seeing called plays with easy completions that keep or put the offense in rhythm and flow
The offensive scheme sucks, lacks clarity and is predictable.

The other person above mentioned long ball in regards to JJ. Well JJs WRs ran the entire tree of routes. This team runs streaks, go routes. No skinny post, post, outs, curls, rubs, clear outs ..I could continue listing routes.

The scheme is cleary jack when ppl like Smart doesn't have 10% of the numbers he had w/prior coaches. Get real folks.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I'm going to take a counter point to this. What's wrong with a father wanting to help his son, in his coaching career? It's sort of like starting a freshman QB. There's going to be growing pains. Maybe Bo, by getting this chance at OC, give him an opportunity somewhere else? That retro UH baseball gear he wore shows maybe he is trying to fit in, be part of UH and Hawaii in some ways.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

cabanalane wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:20 pm I'm going to take a counter point to this. What's wrong with a father wanting to help his son, in his coaching career? It's sort of like starting a freshman QB. There's going to be growing pains. Maybe Bo, by getting this chance at OC, give him an opportunity somewhere else? That retro UH baseball gear he wore shows maybe he is trying to fit in, be part of UH and Hawaii in some ways.
Bc learning on the job is not for leadership position plain and simple. It's equivalent to your CEO dad making you VP of Operations but you don't have the 15 yrs typically needed for position. Leadership in coaching is earned by experience.