Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Is the MWC in trouble?

Post by ulua »

Just found an article saying Colorado St. and Air Force may be leaving the MWC for the AAC, and BOISE was also being recruited by the AAC, but rejected the Invite hoping for an invite to the BIG 12.
I think AAC was also trying to get SDSU but the also rejected.

If this is all true and these 2 teams leave and say Boise gets invited to the BIG 12, is the MWC in trouble?
could it be like the WAC where it got disbanded? what would this mean for Hawaii?

It seems the reason for these team wanting to leave is the lack of faith in Craig Thompson.

I'm just curious to see what all of your insights might be on this

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2021/9/29 ... ntain-west
Rumors have been swirling around college football in regards to realignment. Those rumors have not impacted the Mountain West for the most part, until now. There is significant speculation that Air Force and Colorado State will be departing to join the American Athletic Conference. This news was a bit surprising, considering how the Mountain West looks better on paper after UCF and Cincinnati depart the AAC. Do Colorado State and Air Force know something we don’t? Are the rumors of Boise State going to the Big 12 more than rumors? Only time will tell. but let’s assume that the Mountain West stays at ten teams. How does the potential departure of Air Force and Colorado State impact the rest of the conference? Let’s look at each individual team and see if it is positive, negative, or indifferent for them.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/colle ... expansion/
ago

There’s been some more news about a potential expansion in the American Athletic Conference.

The AAC recently announced UCF, Cincinnati and Houston will be joining the Big 12 conference, and now there’s evidence suggesting the AAC is targeting a couple of Mountain West teams to replace them.

Brett McMurphy reported that Colorado State and Air Force are looking to leave the Mountain West for the American Athletic Conference sometime in the next week, and CBS Sports reporter Matt Norlander confirmed there is mutual interest:

While it may seem like a good move for both of the Colorado schools, there are some doubts about whether or not it’s worth it, as Boise State and San Diego State were in the same boat, but backed down.

A reason why teams are looking to leave the Mountain West could be because of a lack of faith in current commissioner Craig Thompson according to a Mountain West source.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Re: Is the MWC in trouble?

Post by wyokie »

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1443938812351111169

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

wyokie wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:40 am https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1443938812351111169
Makes sense. I believe Memphis and USF might be going to the Big 12 soon and the AAC will be on par with the Sun Belt.
ImageImage

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

https://footballscoop.com/news/report-a ... a-decision

Looks like the MWC and CT dodged a bullet as AF, CS,
BS, SD have decided on staying. This is great news if it holds true.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Wow! Big news if true. AAC gets nothing.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I hope this means the end of the AAC calling itself a "Power 6" conference.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Just my opinion here but the AAC will just raid either the CUSA or the Sun Belt so, yeah, bye bye to the Power 6 idea for the AAC.

Also, would love to see Gonzaga be the 12th member for all the Olympic sports plus grab SMU and North Texas so I can go to more Wyoming games in this area of the country. Dallas-Ft. Worth is only about 3 to 3.5 hours from OKC.

Irse

Post by Irse »

wyokie wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:52 am Just my opinion here but the AAC will just raid either the CUSA or the Sun Belt so, yeah, bye bye to the Power 6 idea for the AAC.

Also, would love to see Gonzaga be the 12th member for all the Olympic sports plus grab SMU and North Texas so I can go to more Wyoming games in this area of the country. Dallas-Ft. Worth is only about 3 to 3.5 hours from OKC.
Would rather go after Memphis if they don't get a Big 12 invite.
ImageImage

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Irse wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:02 pm
wyokie wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:52 am Just my opinion here but the AAC will just raid either the CUSA or the Sun Belt so, yeah, bye bye to the Power 6 idea for the AAC.

Gee, I wonder why. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Irse

Post by Irse »

wyokie wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:09 pm

:D Because they've been the best team in the AAC recently.
ImageImage

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Irse wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:48 pm

Nice try. Even a dumb Fort Fart grad could figure this out....you want Memphis because you're a major fan of the Memphis (State) Tigers. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Irse

Post by Irse »

wyokie wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:15 pm

Nice try. Even a dumb Fort Fart grad could figure this out....you want Memphis because you're a major fan of the Memphis (State) Tigers. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Not so much of football. Only basketball and UH wouldn't be in the same conference.
ImageImage

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Irse wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:22 pm

Not so much of football. Only basketball and UH wouldn't be in the same conference.
No to Memphis besides travel costs from out west to Memphis would be outrageous. Need to keep the conference regional for the fans.

Irse

Post by Irse »

wyokie wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:27 pm

No to Memphis besides travel costs from out west to Memphis would be outrageous. Need to keep the conference regional for the fans.
It isn't that much further than SMU.
ImageImage

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Irse wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:57 pm
wyokie wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:27 pm
It isn't that much further than SMU.
Have you looked at a map lately? SMU is in Dallas which is west of the Mississippi River by a few hundred miles. Memphis is just east of the Mississippi!!!!! The conference is called the Mountain WEST. Keep the conference west of the Mississippi.