Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
daddy
Starter
Starter
MLB: Kansas City Royals
NFL: Chiefs and any team w/CB

Re: This is a GOOD Warrior team

Post by daddy »

I'm bumping this thread because it turned out to age very well. Good job by SJ! Team is clearly buying in and believes in what the coaching staff is teaching them. Last year was one of the better all time UH football seasons. How quickly people forget. TG is a good coach and the kids play hard for him. There is nothing wrong with scheduling P5 teams early. Helps toughen the team. Would you rather play a bunch of cupcakes early and then get waxed in conference play or during a bowl game with many people watching?

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

sarvicdar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:11 pm This Hawaii team is overhyped, especially DM. The Warriors have no players that grade over 80 on both offense and defense (according to pff.com). Fresno has about 6 that grade over 80 (especially their QB and DE that grade near 90 with the majority of the team grading in the 70's-thats what I call a good team).The Warriors on the other hand have the majority of their players grading in the 50's and 60's-and that is what I call an average team. Regarding DM (he shouldn't be a repeat 1st team LB) grades in the low 60's and grades a 33 at tackling this season -that's poor. Last season he had 16 mistackles. Jahlani Tavai in comparison graded in the high 70's in both defense and tackling. Even corner CD is grading average this season-58.8. What Hawaii has is a shortage of blue chip players and good coaches. I disagree with the OP.
Sorry, but...the best player for Fresno State was the officiating team. Muasau, Bethley, Blessman, Pita...among others...apparently can tackle. The defense was spectacular against a top-25 team. Hawaii has been overlooked and underrated since its inception. This is not a GREAT team, but it is definitely a GOOD team. On offense, Turner, Dae Dae, and Mardner are too good to be true. This is not a re-build. This is nothing like Chow-ball nor Von-Shmappen.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Turner and Dae Dae yes. Mardner, meh.
The Oline playing pretty good.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

This is a good team if they minimize mistakes which they did against Fresno. In their other 5 games there were too many mistakes which cost them games that they could have won. What I like about this game:
1. They overcame a lot of bad calls by the refs. There were three to four pass interference calls that were not called. And a Fresno targeting.
2. The DL has a good rotation with all starting to put pressure on the QB; Lauula, Tonga, Taala, Tavai, Baker and Mathews. Sometimes with a three man rush.
3. Schaeger is very poised. He had only one sack, has good pocket presence, he doesn't panic under pressure. He stood in there and took some shots. He doesn't force passes. He has a good arm and throws catchable passes.
4. We have a good run game. Hunter, Parsons and Turner are all averaging 5+ yards per carry. The OL is not getting the credit they deserve for their run blockins.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

bigislandkurt wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:54 am Turner and Dae Dae yes. Mardner, meh.
https://www.khon2.com/sports/hawaiis-ni ... atch-list/
KHON wrote: University of Hawai’i wide receiver Nick Mardner was among eight receivers added to the 2021 Biletnikoff Award Watch List, which was announced by the Tallahassee Quarterback Club (TQC) Foundation, Inc., the Florida-based creator and sponsor of the prestigious Biletnikoff Award.

Mardner, a junior from Mississauga, Ontario, leads the team in receiving yards (459), receiving touchdowns (3), and yards per catch (20.9). He has been quarterback Chevan Cordeiro’s favorite target in recent weeks with 19 catches for 424 yards in the last four games.
He has good hands and gets open. He's the team's top receiver. He was added to the Biletnikoff Award Watch list. How can you say 'meh' regarding Mardner?!! Reserve judgment if you must, but by the end of the year you'll see the light. ;-)

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Maybe not aesthetically pleasing, but a tough win is always good.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

The juice was there - meaning the effort. When the team plays inspired, responsible ball, they are good - the old "play hard, play smart" adage. What's impressive is that they did it without the 12th players in the stands. Gotta respect every opponent, play hard and play smart and good things will happen.

The juice was also there in terms of poor officiating. The side judge needs to be sent back to remedial referee school at the very least for a phantom pass interference call in favor of Fresno State and missing obvious pass interference calls against the Fresno State defense.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

poidog wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:30 am
SundayJam wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:55 am I am sure that opening against 2 Pac-12 teams was a bad decision...especially on the road. I guess that this decision was a financial one. Still, I would not have wished this on a second-year coach. Too bad we didn't open against Wazzu again. We got paid but were also assured probable losses.

I'm looking forward to some defensive and offensive surprises in the upcoming game. We may lose yet again against a ranked opponent, but this is an opponent we have already vanquished. We'll see.
because we do "2 for 1" home-and-home agreements with these PAC12 teams, there will sometimes be a season like this one where we play two of them on the road in the same season. In 2024, we get Oregon and UCLA here, which is pretty cool. bring on the whoopin!
I am just happy that we are getting teams that would never play us in the past. I think JJ scared them away. Playing weak teams to me is not the way to go.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:54 pm
bigislandkurt wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:54 am Turner and Dae Dae yes. Mardner, meh.
KHON wrote: University of Hawai’i wide receiver Nick Mardner was among eight receivers added to the 2021 Biletnikoff Award Watch List, which was announced by the Tallahassee Quarterback Club (TQC) Foundation, Inc., the Florida-based creator and sponsor of the prestigious Biletnikoff Award.

Mardner, a junior from Mississauga, Ontario, leads the team in receiving yards (459), receiving touchdowns (3), and yards per catch (20.9). He has been quarterback Chevan Cordeiro’s favorite target in recent weeks with 19 catches for 424 yards in the last four games.
He has good hands and gets open. He's the team's top receiver. He was added to the Biletnikoff Award Watch list. How can you say 'meh' regarding Mardner?!! Reserve judgment if you must, but by the end of the year you'll see the light. ;-)
Mardner is my go to guy. Just throw to Mardner.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Mardner in the slot is a tough cover for a safety or LB.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

TheDuke wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:41 pm Mardner in the slot is a tough cover for a safety or LB.
That is exactly where I wanted him to be from the beginning.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

RedZone wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:59 pm
TheDuke wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:41 pm Mardner in the slot is a tough cover for a safety or LB.
That is exactly where I wanted him to be from the beginning.
it's like Greg Salas 2.0. seems like a no-brainer to put your tall, physical receiver in the slot - why don't teams do it more often?

The guy is an underrated blocker on run plays, too. he had some good 2nd level blocks last game that sprung some nice runs. He even blocks well out of the slot!

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

lots of teams slide the TE into the slot.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

RedZone wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:24 pm
SundayJam wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:54 pm

Mardner is my go to guy. Just throw to Mardner.
I guess it does not take much to make it to the Belitnikoff watch list. Meh.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Hire Rolo as OC to finish out the season. He got fired.