This is a GOOD Warrior team

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: This is a GOOD Warrior team

Post by SundayJam »

My3Cats wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:51 am I attribute this year's struggles not to the players, who I agree are pretty good, but to the failing coaching that they are receiving. Too many rookie coaches because the UH athletic department and admin cannot afford to pay for more experienced coaches. Add to that a head coach who appears to have his hands, and head, in too many areas to focus on the team, and in the games, as a whole. A recipe for disaster.
The best assistants hired by a Warrior coach were pretty much rookies too: Rolovich and Aranda. Hawaii paid that head coach to go away and fired those two stellar coordinators. The result was Chow-ball with a bunch of 'experienced' has-beens. How'd that work out? Good head coaches bring out the best in up-and-coming coaches. I've seen this all-too-familiar dump on good coaches over the years when the team is not meeting expectations. The team is competitive with a tough schedule. Yeah, we're slightly below 50%...but we were competitive. We've also received more than our share of bad luck...not unlike many other teams this year. I think the coach has a steady resolve. He'll continue to mold this beastly creation of his and win out the rest of the season. Can we beat another Houston in a bowl this year? Heck yeah.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:18 am
My3Cats wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:51 am I attribute this year's struggles not to the players, who I agree are pretty good, but to the failing coaching that they are receiving. Too many rookie coaches because the UH athletic department and admin cannot afford to pay for more experienced coaches. Add to that a head coach who appears to have his hands, and head, in too many areas to focus on the team, and in the games, as a whole. A recipe for disaster.
The best assistants hired by a Warrior coach were pretty much rookies too: Rolovich and Aranda. Hawaii paid that head coach to go away and fired those two stellar coordinators. The result was Chow-ball with a bunch of 'experienced' has-beens. How'd that work out? Good head coaches bring out the best in up-and-coming coaches. I've seen this all-too-familiar dump on good coaches over the years when the team is not meeting expectations. The team is competitive with a tough schedule. Yeah, we're slightly below 50%...but we were competitive. We've also received more than our share of bad luck...not unlike many other teams this year. I think the coach has a steady resolve. He'll continue to mold this beastly creation of his and win out the rest of the season. Can we beat another Houston in a bowl this year? Heck yeah.
I agree. Too much blame the coaching. The team has been in position to win. There has just been too many mistakes. We have been in every MWC game and it came down to mistakes and lack of execution. The defense and the running game has improved significantly. The Dline has good depth. I like our running backs. They demonstrate speed, balance and power. They can take it to the house, they are aggressive and they block and can catch. They add a dimension to our offense that we've never had before.

The deep threat has been there. You can't be explosive if you underthrow/overthrow receivers and if the receivers don't make the tough catches. You can't blame the coaches when the offense has set up the deep ball, the receiver has separation and he is underthrown or overthrown. That has happened a lot this year. I can count the in stride deep passes when the receivers have had good separation on one hand. Too many misses.

The transfer portal has also changed the landscape for recruiting and continuity. Top tier teams will come after our top players and if these top teams are closer to a players family you will see defections. Playing for top teams, closer to family and friends is a significant motivator. Other teams have a significant geographic advantage recruiting from the portal.

We need recruiting help getting more speed at safety, TE and the skill positions. We do need a core of HS recruits but we should be able to find immediate help from the portal. Recruiting will depend more and more on the network and reputation that Todd Graham brings to the table.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I look at the fake field goal, there was only two guys to the right of the center and one on the center. That is the side they ran. That's a coaching problem. That is how they aligned the guys. They put the guys at a disadvantage. Plus we've had three punts blocked and other ST blunders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k2d7elXpzE

Also, we had a great offensive line a couple of years ago. Now, at times they look helpless. I guess they forgot how to play football in a couple of years. It just seems like a bunch of guys regressed instead of improving.

We all will have an opinion on where they see the problem. That's where I see it.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

TheDuke wrote:The transfer portal has also changed the landscape for recruiting and continuity. Top tier teams will come after our top players and if these top teams are closer to a players family you will see defections. Playing for top teams, closer to family and friends is a significant motivator. Other teams have a significant geographic advantage recruiting from the portal.

We need recruiting help getting more speed at safety, TE and the skill positions. We do need a core of HS recruits but we should be able to find immediate help from the portal. Recruiting will depend more and more on the network and reputation that Todd Graham brings to the table.
We've added Texas to our recruiting grounds and done quite well. The transfer portal should work in our favor as we tend to get mostly left-over picks from the big schools. If you're a three star recruit who can't get playing time you transfer to school who will play you.
Irse wrote: I look at the fake field goal, there was only two guys to the right of the center and one on the center. That is the side they ran. That's a coaching problem. That is how they aligned the guys. They put the guys at a disadvantage. Plus we've had three punts blocked and other ST blunders

Also, we had a great offensive line a couple of years ago. Now, at times they look helpless. I guess they forgot how to play football in a couple of years. It just seems like a bunch of guys regressed instead of improving.

We all will have an opinion on where they see the problem. That's where I see it.
We stuffed a top-25 team and were one score away from an upset. Yes, our young coaching staff is a little green, but they, like the players, will improve. When we beat a Pac12 team and win a MW championship, we will lose this staff and start all over again. Wash,rinse, repeat.

That aside, your argument that the trick field goal play represents poor coaching doesn't hold water. Here are a bunch of trick field goals succeeding against some of the best teams:

Link

edit: I updated the fake field goal video but ya gotta watch it on youtube.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Waiting for SundayJam's YouTube on reasonably good offensive lines regressing on other teams . . . :D
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Ha, ha...our offensive line hasn't been losing us games. We've averaged over 150 yards rushing per game so far. Cordeiro has yet to play a full season. Schager has had two starts this year. This is a young team playing a tough schedule. Well, it is softening up now.

Irse

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:22 pm
TheDuke wrote:The transfer portal has also changed the landscape for recruiting and continuity. Top tier teams will come after our top players and if these top teams are closer to a players family you will see defections. Playing for top teams, closer to family and friends is a significant motivator. Other teams have a significant geographic advantage recruiting from the portal.

We've added Texas to our recruiting grounds and done quite well. The transfer portal should work in our favor as we tend to get mostly left-over picks from the big schools. If you're a three star recruit who can't get playing time you transfer to school who will play you.
Irse wrote: I look at the fake field goal, there was only two guys to the right of the center and one on the center. That is the side they ran. That's a coaching problem. That is how they aligned the guys. They put the guys at a disadvantage. Plus we've had three punts blocked and other ST blunders

We stuffed a top-25 team and were one score away from an upset. Yes, our young coaching staff is a little green, but they, like the players, will improve. When we beat a Pac12 team and win a MW championship, we will lose this staff and start all over again. Wash,rinse, repeat.

That aside, your argument that the trick field goal play represents poor coaching doesn't hold water. Here are a bunch of trick field goals succeeding against some of the best teams:

Link

edit: I updated the fake field goal video but ya gotta watch it on youtube.
We're not going to do it with this staff.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

This staff can't even beat a 1-8 UNLV team. 4 straight runs with the game on the line and we can't get one first down. I hope Matlin doesn't renew Bo's contract. If Todd doesn't like it, he can go too.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

SundayJam wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:13 am Ha, ha...our offensive line hasn't been losing us games. We've averaged over 150 yards rushing per game so far. Cordeiro has yet to play a full season. Schager has had two starts this year. This is a young team playing a tough schedule. Well, it is softening up now.
This is a team full of seniors. Under normal circumstances this would be a pay-off season. Next year will be one of unknowns. Huge rebuilding year. A lot of positions to replace.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I've never seen so much talent squandered by an overmatched coaching staff in my 30 years of being a UH football fan. Next closest was 2011 and that team did better than this one.

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

This is the best team in the norm chow era…..

Irse

Post by Irse »

RedZone wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:12 pm
SundayJam wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:13 am Ha, ha...our offensive line hasn't been losing us games. We've averaged over 150 yards rushing per game so far. Cordeiro has yet to play a full season. Schager has had two starts this year. This is a young team playing a tough schedule. Well, it is softening up now.
This is a team full of seniors. Under normal circumstances this would be a pay-off season. Next year will be one of unknowns. Huge rebuilding year. A lot of positions to replace.
Our entire line is either seniors or super seniors, we have a former 1000 yd receiver and we have our best running tandem in a while. And a very successful QB. But we had to call 2 TOs within a minute in the first half. I've already forgotten many of the other blunders by the OC with year. I don't have a much problems with the D.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

couz808 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:15 pm This is the best team in the norm chow era…..
Come on, now... Did Chow even win this many games?

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

do the coaches attempt to make adjustments on the sidelines to the alignments, timing of routes, or are they just yelling at the kids to get their attention. it's not obvious if any adjustments are made during the first two quarters and after half time it seems they were just using the same old same old.

i see a lot of "believe" signs in football. is it that players are not "believing" the reads, alignments, footwork that coaches are giving them? are players trying to think to much instead of "believing" what the coaches tell them?

so much for the post game rant. game over. shake it off. prepare for the next game. i will be there saturday. go warriors.
Last edited by st808 on Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

SundayJam wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:16 pm
couz808 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:15 pm This is the best team in the norm chow era…..
Come on, now... Did Chow even win this many games?
That’s why this is the best team because of the wins. Also the norm chow team when we beat army in the 1 win season was pretty good also. We almost beat Derek Carr that year.