This is a GOOD Warrior team

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

This is a GOOD Warrior team

Post by SundayJam »

I understand how all of you are saddened by losses to two great teams and one-not-so-great team. We could've started the season playing Montana St., Northern Illinois, Ball St., and U. Conn. Had we done this, we'd be 4-0 right now. Instead, we opened with 3 road games and a home gimme. We're 2-3 and that's to be expected. While the SJSU loss was disappointing, it was winnable. Still, there's a lot to applaud for in this Warrior team.

Our team is loaded with talent. I foresee a number of this squad making it to the next level. Mardner, for one, will be an early-round pick. Those that won't make it to the pros...which is likely...I see many becoming coaches. These guys have that fbiq- thing. Cordeiro can run and throw a long score. He threw a 74-yard touch down in the last game. On defense, we have Muasau and Bethley...among others. The individual members of this Warrior team will shine.

Our next opponent is our toughest...well, after UCLA. Although Fresno St. is ranked, they truly struggled against UNLV in their last game. If the talent and method of this team come together, we will win this game. I have faith that a second-chance head coach can revive this team...much like second chance coaches June Jones and Greg McMackin. This season isn't over. This is a GOOD team.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: This is a GOOD Warrior team

Post by My3Cats »

Agree that they have a chance to be a good team. They just have to get it together. Execute. Cut down on errors. Proper focus.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

This team makes too many mistakes and still gives up the big plays. It is because of these mistakes we are 2-3. Until they can eliminate shooting themselves in the foot this team will be inconsistent offensively. Other then the occasional big plays the defense has improved over last year and can be a force.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

This Hawaii team is overhyped, especially DM. The Warriors have no players that grade over 80 on both offense and defense (according to pff.com). Fresno has about 6 that grade over 80 (especially their QB and DE that grade near 90 with the majority of the team grading in the 70's-thats what I call a good team).The Warriors on the other hand have the majority of their players grading in the 50's and 60's-and that is what I call an average team. Regarding DM (he shouldn't be a repeat 1st team LB) grades in the low 60's and grades a 33 at tackling this season -that's poor. Last season he had 16 mistackles. Jahlani Tavai in comparison graded in the high 70's in both defense and tackling. Even corner CD is grading average this season-58.8. What Hawaii has is a shortage of blue chip players and good coaches. I disagree with the OP.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

There was that write up about how Hawaii should be "Independent" like how BYU once was. Follow BYU. Join the WAC. Join the MWC. BYU then went Independent. Hard to tell how they fit in when BYU was Independent. Hawaii then would have more control over who they play, and who they don't want to play. Take some control on how they wish to shape their season.

Why play PAC-12 teams? Oh, it supposed to help UH measure where they stand? Why? It only embarrass UH on national TV, and kids don't want to play for Hawaii. Players want to play for a winning team. Pad some good stats. That helps in the next level. At least it would warrant a look from the Pros.

Is winning the MWC really that special? I though winning a Bowl game may be more exciting. Without conferences, it gets harder to gauge UH as a team. IMO, that's a good thing.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Football is unpredictable. That doesn't make this a BAD team. We beat Fresno State at their house last year 34 - 19. Chevan Cordeiro was the quarterback last year. Losing to two Pac12 schools in away games isn't much of a surprise. Ironically, Oregon State defeated USC by the exact score they did us: 42 - 27. It's a shame we lost to SJSU, but that was a close game. There are many reasons that we lost 3 games...being a BAD team isn't one of them.

I just think most of you are way too hard on the team. Losing sucks but that is part of sport.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I am sure that opening against 2 Pac-12 teams was a bad decision...especially on the road. I guess that this decision was a financial one. Still, I would not have wished this on a second-year coach. Too bad we didn't open against Wazzu again. We got paid but were also assured probable losses.

I'm looking forward to some defensive and offensive surprises in the upcoming game. We may lose yet again against a ranked opponent, but this is an opponent we have already vanquished. We'll see.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Scheduling P5 teams aren't necessarily just for the money, and definitely not for a guarantee win, but for the exposure for the team and school. In addition, fans don't want to see too many cupcakes on the schedule and will beotch and moan if there is even one in a year. Peer G5 schools don't come around that often either, as they also want to schedule the P5's for the same reasons. I'm okay with this year's schedule and how the season has progressed so far, although a few more wins would have been nice.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Over the years, we scheduled PAC10/12 teams quite regularly. And beat many of them too. Schedules are set years on out. A lower tier PAC team that is scheduled today might be a powerhouse three to four years down the road when we play them.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:55 am I am sure that opening against 2 Pac-12 teams was a bad decision...especially on the road. I guess that this decision was a financial one. Still, I would not have wished this on a second-year coach. Too bad we didn't open against Wazzu again. We got paid but were also assured probable losses.

I'm looking forward to some defensive and offensive surprises in the upcoming game. We may lose yet again against a ranked opponent, but this is an opponent we have already vanquished. We'll see.
because we do "2 for 1" home-and-home agreements with these PAC12 teams, there will sometimes be a season like this one where we play two of them on the road in the same season. In 2024, we get Oregon and UCLA here, which is pretty cool. bring on the whoopin!

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

takes 3-4 years to build a good team.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I disagree. This is already a good team. Rolovich built a good team. It's why he was poached by the Pac12. Tod Graham has managed quite well these two years. Shoot, we beat Fresno last year and bested Houston in the New Mexico Bowl. I don't think this team's offense has changed much fundamentally. Did Rolovich run a true R&S offense? I seem to remember a lot of run option and pistol formations.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

too many mistakes to be a good team. Average at best.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

If they go better than 3 and 5 in the last eight, then I'll be happy. If they go 5 and 3, they're a good team.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

TheDuke wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:42 pm takes 3-4 years to build a good team.
Very true. Fans don't have patience today. People don't have patience today in general.

1.5 year is max now. If TG is at 50% with no Bowl, than "Fire TG."