Tanuvasa or Vaipulu?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Tanuvasa or Vaipulu?

Post by sarvicdar »

Tanuvasa or Vaipulu?

From his freshmen year in 2018 up to the third game of this season right guard Vaipulu has started every game except one (in 2019) and was recently replaced by Tanuvasa for the San Jose State and New Mexico State games. During 1420's post game show after the New Mexico State game an inquirer asked what happened to Vaipulu? Gary (?) didn't have an answer.

In my eyes I am delighted to see the changing of the guard. Because I can see the weakest link in the Warrior's offensive line (the pff.com grades bear this out), and I hope when an answer surfaces as to what happened to Vaipulu the media quotes Graham as saying nothing happened to Vaipulu we're letting the best player play.

Hands down Tanuvasa should start. Because numbers don't lie and have no favoritism.

The Pff.com grades for Tanuvasa

SJS game:

Pass Blocking-84.8
Run Blocking-58.0

NMS game:

Pass Blocking-81.4
Run Blocking-62.7

For Vaipulu

UCLA game:

Pass Blocking-70.5
Run Blocking-50.9

Portland State game:

Pass Blocking-31.8
Run Blocking-61.3

Oregon State game:

Pass Blocking-38.5
Run Blocking-59.8

On the season Vaipulu has allowed 1 sack, 9 hurries, 10 pressures (123 passing plays), 2 penalties whereas Tanuvasa (132 passing plays) has allowed 0 sacks, 5 hurries, 5 pressures, 2 penalties (NMS game).

It will be interesting see how this battle shapes up and the coaches direction.. But if the coaches believe in the tenant of having the best players playing then I believe it should be Tanuvasa ... as it should have been Wa'a starting in place of Vaipulu in 2019 imo. Furthermore imo I think the changing of the guard shouldn't be limited to the guard position as for the life of me I can't understand for example how Welch (#42) hasn't seen any real action during his career at Hawaii and imo I believe that's a shame because in my eyes I seen him absolutely school the RT (Pryor) in practice (2019).

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Tanuvasa or Vaipulu?

Post by kapakahi »

I recall that Vaipulu was shaken up in the San Jose State game and was replaced by Tanuvasa....and hasn't played since.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

kapakahi wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:43 pm I recall that Vaipulu was shaken up in the San Jose State game and was replaced by Tanuvasa....and hasn't played since.
I don't think he made the trip to New Mexico.
ImageImage

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Irse wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:07 pm
kapakahi wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:43 pm I recall that Vaipulu was shaken up in the San Jose State game and was replaced by Tanuvasa....and hasn't played since.
I don't think he made the trip to New Mexico.
Actually he got shaken up in the Oregon State game and didn't even play in the San Jose State game (though he was suited up on the sidelines).

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

Better late than never.....long over-due....should have been awarded a scholarship before the start of this season....since Eliki walked on over 2 years ago in Spring 2019.... https://twitter.com/eliki_tanuvasa/status/1468431621363699713

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

Well deserved
ImageImage

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Congrats! :hello1: :hello1:

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Both guys have whiffed badly on run blocks...ET seems to be more stout and Vaipulu seems better at pulling.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Point is we need both. The success of our team team will depend on depth. The transfer portal will hurt teams like Hawaii because good underclassmen will not wait for their turn. If they don't start in the first couple of seasons they will transfer.

Good coaches have a balancing act. Do I develop a rotation that gets players involved and engaged? Do I establish a starter/backup system? Do I tick off someone who believes they are an every down player? Do I lose a very good underclassman to the portal?

You saw that this year. The coaching job just got more difficult.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

TheDuke wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:16 am Point is we need both. The success of our team team will depend on depth. The transfer portal will hurt teams like Hawaii because good underclassmen will not wait for their turn. If they don't start in the first couple of seasons they will transfer.

Good coaches have a balancing act. Do I develop a rotation that gets players involved and engaged? Do I establish a starter/backup system? Do I tick off someone who believes they are an every down player? Do I lose a very good underclassman to the portal?

You saw that this year. The coaching job just got more difficult.
That’s the new job … keep your own and steal others … I guess that is part of the reason for all the negative buzz about the team

I am still hoping for 2022 to return the world to more normal … but the portal here to stay

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

I've grown increasingly frustrated with Solo Vaipulu. He looks to have lost some pounds also. Doesn't look like a true road grinder guard and has had his share of penalties. I like Tanuvasa. He has played great during the times he has been called upon.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul