Sit Chevan Cordeiro

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Sit Chevan Cordeiro

Post by cabanalane »

When we talk about Cordeiro as a R&S QB, why do people assume that he should maybe transfer to WSU. Aside from the millions, Rolo looked at the drop off after Cole McDonald, and left.

Clock is ticking on TG. I don't think TG can survive 2.5 more years as HC in Hawaii with Cordeiro as QB. It's time to start "his QB."

Norm Chow got his USC QB, but could not play his Junior year (had to sit out due to transfer rules). Max Wittek finally start his Senior year. Too late. Fired Chow would too loud by then.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:07 pm When we talk about Cordeiro as a R&S QB, why do people assume that he should maybe transfer to WSU. Aside from the millions, Rolo looked at the drop off after Cole McDonald, and left.

Clock is ticking on TG. I don't think TG can survive 2.5 more years as HC in Hawaii with Cordeiro as QB. It's time to start "his QB."

Norm Chow got his USC QB, but could not play his Junior year (had to sit out due to transfer rules). Max Wittek finally start his Senior year. Too late. Fired Chow would too loud by then.
I made the WSU statement in my original post due to the fact that others are making excuses about this not being the right "system" for him. He came in to UH as an R&S QB during the Rolo era. Other than JJ himself, Rolo is the R&S coach most closely connected to Hawaii. Hence my WSU comment. I wouldn't put much weight in it though.

CC certainly looked better against NMSU. If he can do the same against FSU, then perhaps we might be on to some better days for him in the TG system. He is a veteran UH QB who has been here a few years, yet I reserve my right to my opinion that CC is not the great QB some fans would hope he to be. At some point, I still would like to see what Schager has to offer.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Yeah, there has been a few CC should go to WSU because of R&S in the past. I recall there JJ had a "hot shot" QB coming in after Colt B. I forget his name.

He committed with UH. And then when JJ left for SMU, he de-committed, and sign with SMU. I recall following that guy for a bit, but now can't remember.

Not sure if there's a point or connection. Many, include Taylor Graunke himself believe he was to be handed the keys to the offense. JJ actually wanted someone else at QB.

QB2 always became QB1. That was the rule. Danny White was handed the keys after Roger Staubach. I don't know, maybe Tom Landry should be draft and traded for a Joe Montana.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:49 am Yeah, there has been a few CC should go to WSU because of R&S in the past. I recall there JJ had a "hot shot" QB coming in after Colt B. I forget his name.

He committed with UH. And then when JJ left for SMU, he de-committed, and sign with SMU. I recall following that guy for a bit, but now can't remember.

Not sure if there's a point or connection. Many, include Taylor Graunke himself believe he was to be handed the keys to the offense. JJ actually wanted someone else at QB.

QB2 always became QB1. That was the rule. Danny White was handed the keys after Roger Staubach. I don't know, maybe Tom Landry should be draft and traded for a Joe Montana.
I think Bo Mitchell is the QB you are referring to?
https://smumustangs.com/sports/footbal ... chell/1710

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

The game rules have changed. With the transfer rules and the transfer portal you don't have to groom the next QB. You do your best but your supposedly next man up for 2022 could transfer on a whim. There is no guarantee that your underclass starter this year will be here next year. You do your best to groom the next man up but if you can find a better next man up in the portal you take him.

Right now Hawaii is on the short end of the stick when it comes to transfers. Other teams have more transfers and better qualified transfers then what we are getting. The better transfers are transferring to schools in better conferences with better post season opportunities, higher press visibility, closer to home and families. Hawaii gets transfers because of players who gave the mainland a shot and want to come home or because of Graham's reputation and close ties with other coaches.

Look at the transfers that teams like Boise, San Jose State, Fresno, Sans Diego State pick up compared to our transfers.....wow!

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

ulua wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:13 pm
cabanalane wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:49 am Yeah, there has been a few CC should go to WSU because of R&S in the past. I recall there JJ had a "hot shot" QB coming in after Colt B. I forget his name.

I think Bo Mitchell is the QB you are referring to?
https://smumustangs.com/sports/footbal ... chell/1710

Must be him. I held back in my reply that I recall him being from Texas. Reading the link you posted. Must be him. Thanks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

And then Bo Levi Mitchell lost playing time at SMU and transferred to Eastern Washington.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

bigislandkurt wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:25 am
cabanalane wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:07 pm When we talk about Cordeiro as a R&S QB, why do people assume that he should maybe transfer to WSU. Aside from the millions, Rolo looked at the drop off after Cole McDonald, and left.

I made the WSU statement in my original post due to the fact that others are making excuses about this not being the right "system" for him. He came in to UH as an R&S QB during the Rolo era. Other than JJ himself, Rolo is the R&S coach most closely connected to Hawaii. Hence my WSU comment. I wouldn't put much weight in it though.

CC certainly looked better against NMSU. If he can do the same against FSU, then perhaps we might be on to some better days for him in the TG system. He is a veteran UH QB who has been here a few years, yet I reserve my right to my opinion that CC is not the great QB some fans would hope he to be. At some point, I still would like to see what Schager has to offer.
I don't think it's that complicated - Bo Graham or whatever his name is just needs to call plays as if he remembers that he has a dual-threat QB nad an elite wildcat QB behind him. More designed QB runs early in the game to keep the chains moving and to get the defense to fear CC's running ability. it's like in every game they come out with a play script that is so "boom or bust" that it is hard to sustain drives. Later in the game when they are off script, the play calling gets a little more "desperate" and they finally are willing to call a QB draw or put CTJr at wildcat qb and use the athletic abilities of our QBs. Chevan also plays better when he's a little more desperate. Even though we came up short against SJSU, CC willed the team down the field and used his feet to keep the chains moving. If they can capture some of that early in the game, things will be better.

Chevan doesn't need to go to WSU or anywhere else to play in a system that is a better fit for him. He just needs the team he's already on to use him better.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

just my opinion. You just don't run your QB if you don't have a capable backup. Eventually your QB will get clocked.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

TheDuke wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:36 pm The game rules have changed. With the transfer rules and the transfer portal you don't have to groom the next QB. You do your best but your supposedly next man up for 2022 could transfer on a whim. There is no guarantee that your underclass starter this year will be here next year. You do your best to groom the next man up but if you can find a better next man up in the portal you take him.

Right now Hawaii is on the short end of the stick when it comes to transfers. Other teams have more transfers and better qualified transfers then what we are getting. The better transfers are transferring to schools in better conferences with better post season opportunities, higher press visibility, closer to home and families. Hawaii gets transfers because of players who gave the mainland a shot and want to come home or because of Graham's reputation and close ties with other coaches.

Look at the transfers that teams like Boise, San Jose State, Fresno, Sans Diego State pick up compared to our transfers.....wow!
Yup. The next man up at QB - Boone Abbott - transferred in August. I have no stats or data, but availability of the transfer portal for student athletes at 4 year colleges probably made it tougher for JUCO transfers and their quest to find a landing spot at a four year college. With a "glut" of transferring recruits, perhaps UH may be in the running for JUCO transfers that they did not have a chance to land in the past. At least with a JUCO recruit you'll have some recent film whereas all you may have for a transfer portal recruit is some spring game film if it's an Alabama or something and high school film. Ultimately, recruiting is an "inexact science" - some people are late bloomers and physically mature in college or really benefit from strength and conditioning programs in college, whereas some high schoolers benefitted from strength and conditioning programs in high school such that their ceiling is lower.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Poidog....with all due respect, I disagree.
CC has not been a dual threat QB. He has been a threat with this legs, but for the most part, his passing game has not been threatening to anybody. Maybe to NMSU and PSU. We can talk about dropped passes, but there has also been any times where he has just not had the touch on balls going downfield. Nor has he been able to keep timing with RB's on the swing. This weekend's game against FSU will be much more revealing. If he lights them up, then maybe I can consider him to be a viable passing threat. Let me make one thing clear: I want him to succeed. I want UH to win. My opinions are purely based upon his performance over the past two years. I've never said he was a bad QB either. He is just not that very threatening to opposing defenses.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

Well u guys got your wish. Let’s see how the #2 qb does

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Did anyone know Chevan got hurt last week?

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

I think we can shut this thread down or can we change the title to sit bo Graham!!!

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Looks like CC is only part of the problem. Definitely OC and OL issues. Scheme and protection matter.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook: