Sit Chevan Cordeiro

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Sit Chevan Cordeiro

Post by RedZone »

honu888 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:37 pm I say give the starting job to Schager the last two games just to give him more experience. This will help for a healthy QB competition going into next season.
I think it is other positions that we may need to look at. Game time snaps are invaluable.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

I just think Chevan doesn’t fit with this system. Maybe Schager is a better fit with this system but he still plays as a freshmen with turnovers. Hopefully Schager will improve. I don’t know about Chevan progressing. I think he hit a plateau but right now Chevan is a better qb as far as experience goes.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Nisei wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:55 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:51 pm
honu888 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:37 pm I say give the starting job to Schager the last two games just to give him more experience. This will help for a healthy QB competition going into next season.
I think they might be trying to save a redshirt year for him.
He's already played snaps in 5 games.
Oh never mind. Keep forgetting he played in the UCLA game. Never made it through that entire game.

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:49 am
Palolo_2LA wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:10 am
Egonator wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:07 am Yes I agree sit Chevan. He’s not the main problem but he’s not the solution either. I know this is an unpopular take but when it comes to reading defenses, St Louis does not prepare their QB’s to read defenses properly. All of their QB’s have the same issue. It’s as if they just rely on the coaches to call and make the adjustments for them.

Now that people have tape on Chevan they know his tendencies and this is his 4th year. Granted new offense etc but this is the best you’ll get from him.
Are you kidding me? The Lou has produced QB legends. Processing, making quick decisions are components of a successful QB, but so is the offensive scheme, talent around you and your competition. Super elite QBs are rare and that's why the NFL only has a handful of top tier QBs.

Plus, Chevan is running for his life half the time. The OL has been suspect since Coach Cav left.
I think what he's saying is that Saint Louis QB's tend to have trouble transitioning to college when not playing in the Run N Shoot system when their talent alone is not enough to make up for it. I say this as a Saint Louis graduate. Mariota did not play in the RNS his senior season at STL and had a redshirt freshman season at Oregon that allowed him to adapt. Not to mention he's physically gifted. Tua worked really really hard to rid himself of the tendencies he had as a RNS QB and develop discipline to play a more traditional style offense which he played in at Bama. DeLaura went to WAZZU and Rolo's RNS system so that was as seamless a transition a QB can get and he's doing alright. Chevan did well his first couple seasons partly I think cause it was the RNS. Now that the offense changed he's not seeing the same coverages and reads he's used to.
Yep that is exactly what im saying. How many colleges use Run N shoot? 1 or 2 schools? Why not teach them other offenses that colleges utilize more such as West Coast, Spread, Pro Style etc. Eventually if the QB's want to get far in their football career they will be exposed to these type of offenses so why not teach them at the high school level?

Plus people have 3 years of tape on Chevan. When he came to substitute for McDonald not a lot of teams knew about him or his tendencies. Yes our OC sucks but Chevan isn't great either. He was good at St. Louis because he had the best receivers, line etc. He never made the adjustments once people had tape on him

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Egonator wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:22 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:49 am
Palolo_2LA wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:10 am

Are you kidding me? The Lou has produced QB legends. Processing, making quick decisions are components of a successful QB, but so is the offensive scheme, talent around you and your competition. Super elite QBs are rare and that's why the NFL only has a handful of top tier QBs.

Plus, Chevan is running for his life half the time. The OL has been suspect since Coach Cav left.
I think what he's saying is that Saint Louis QB's tend to have trouble transitioning to college when not playing in the Run N Shoot system when their talent alone is not enough to make up for it. I say this as a Saint Louis graduate. Mariota did not play in the RNS his senior season at STL and had a redshirt freshman season at Oregon that allowed him to adapt. Not to mention he's physically gifted. Tua worked really really hard to rid himself of the tendencies he had as a RNS QB and develop discipline to play a more traditional style offense which he played in at Bama. DeLaura went to WAZZU and Rolo's RNS system so that was as seamless a transition a QB can get and he's doing alright. Chevan did well his first couple seasons partly I think cause it was the RNS. Now that the offense changed he's not seeing the same coverages and reads he's used to.
Yep that is exactly what im saying. How many colleges use Run N shoot? 1 or 2 schools? Why not teach them other offenses that colleges utilize more such as West Coast, Spread, Pro Style etc. Eventually if the QB's want to get far in their football career they will be exposed to these type of offenses so why not teach them at the high school level?

Plus people have 3 years of tape on Chevan. When he came to substitute for McDonald not a lot of teams knew about him or his tendencies. Yes our OC sucks but Chevan isn't great either. He was good at St. Louis because he had the best receivers, line etc. He never made the adjustments once people had tape on him
I don't fault Saint Louis for using the Run N Shoot. Its what the Lee's know and they are good at it and use it to help dominate Hawaii high school football for decades. Kalani used it when the Lee's coached there in the early 2010's and they were very relevant in their respective division.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

UH fans it is time for a reality check.

The stats speak for themselves. As a freshman Mariotta made the transition from R&S to the Oregon offense, Tua made the transition from R&S to Alabama. Some guys can read defenses and some can't. Passing the ball to an OPEN receiver has nothing to do with the Oline or the offensive play calling. You can either execute or you can't.

All QBs face the same issues, penalties, tipped balls, dropped passes, blitzes. It is how a QB handles a situation, makes decisions and executes that is the issue. He is inconsistent. He can't make certain throws. When you can't make certain throws and you are inconsistent that limits what your offense can do and the offensive play calling.The issue now is that CC has lost confidence. You can see it in his body language and his eyes. The offense can see it. He is a deer in headlights.

After 281 passes which is 6th in attempts in the MWC he is tied for 1st in interceptions with 10. Out of 9 QBs he is 7th in passing efficiency and 8th in % completed at 54.4%. His completion % was less then 50 against UNLV. You can make all the excuses you want to. At this stage of the season the stats becomes reality.

Chevan has had four years of experience. I do give Graham some credit for standing by CC. Todd has given CC his support.

The pass that wasn't even close to a wide open Turner that was over thrown, was not close and should have been a TD tells the reality of this season.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

TheDuke wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:06 am UH fans it is time for a reality check.

The stats speak for themselves. As a freshman Mariotta made the transition from R&S to the Oregon offense, Tua made the transition from R&S to Alabama. Some guys can read defenses and some can't. Passing the ball to an OPEN receiver has nothing to do with the Oline or the offensive play calling. You can either execute or you can't.

All QBs face the same issues, penalties, tipped balls, dropped passes, blitzes. It is how a QB handles a situation, makes decisions and executes that is the issue. He is inconsistent. He can't make certain throws. When you can't make certain throws and you are inconsistent that limits what your offense can do and the offensive play calling.The issue now is that CC has lost confidence. You can see it in his body language and his eyes. The offense can see it. He is a deer in headlights.

After 281 passes which is 6th in attempts in the MWC he is tied for 1st in interceptions with 10. Out of 9 QBs he is 7th in passing efficiency and 8th in % completed at 54.4%. His completion % was less then 50 against UNLV. You can make all the excuses you want to. At this stage of the season the stats becomes reality.

Chevan has had four years of experience. I do give Graham some credit for standing by CC. Todd has given CC his support.

The pass that wasn't even close to a wide open Turner that was over thrown, was not close and should have been a TD tells the reality of this season.

Just to correct you, Mariota played in the spread option offense his senior year at Saint Louis under Arceneaux. Very similar to what Oregon was running at the time. His only year starting. And he had a redshirt freshman year at Oregon. Saint Louis ran the spread for a few more years after until the Lee's came back then it was RNS and Tua.

Other than that I agree with everything else.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Thanks I didn't know that.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

As creator of this original post, I stand by my original assertions. Chevan is an average to above average QB at best. Good legs though, maybe he can be our Turner next year. But his ceiling as a QB was reached fairly early in the season. Calling him a R&S QB only is nice and respectful to his efforts. But time is now to move on from him as the QB of UH.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

bigislandkurt wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:54 pm As creator of this original post, I stand by my original assertions. Chevan is an average to above average QB at best. Good legs though, maybe he can be our Turner next year. But his ceiling as a QB was reached fairly early in the season. Calling him a R&S QB only is nice and respectful to his efforts. But time is now to move on from him as the QB of UH.
Totally agree. Cordeiro is in his 4th year and has shown no signs of improvement. Granted his OC isn't helping matters but at the moment Schager has more upside. Will Schager be the solution? IDK but Cordeiro is not the solution either. The last two games are meaningless so why not give Schager a chance at getting his feet wet.

ON a side note I finally found a couple of people who agree with my assertion of Cordeiro. I know he is Hawaii's Golden Child and all but he's not the QB people want him to be.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Too much emphasis is placed on Chevan. When it comes down to it, UNLV had a better offensive game plan than UH did. They had more first downs, more 3rd down conversions, and consistently moved the ball up and down the field. I don't know how much tape the coaches looked at to try to determine UNLV's weaknesses. You knew that the defensive line was tough because the DE was MWC first team but it was the other defensive linemen that played well. What play was going to get them three or four yards? How about isolating Hunter, Parson or Turner on the linebacker? Seems like there were three options, pass downfield, run the middle or Chevan take off. Too predictable. All MWC teams will find defending UH predictable unless they get more creative.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Agree with this. Give Schager some real playing time to get him ready for "competition" next year. Agree with the above that CC has been here for 4 years, this may be his ceiling. CC reminds me of Ikaika Woolsey in some way. Good, but not it. And maybe a victim of the result of coaching changes.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

When Hawaii managed two QBs successfully beating Alabama.

Link
Gotta have a game plan for the QBs to be successful. Better days.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:34 am Too much emphasis is placed on Chevan. When it comes down to it, UNLV had a better offensive game plan than UH did. They had more first downs, more 3rd down conversions, and consistently moved the ball up and down the field. I don't know how much tape the coaches looked at to try to determine UNLV's weaknesses. You knew that the defensive line was tough because the DE was MWC first team but it was the other defensive linemen that played well. What play was going to get them three or four yards? How about isolating Hunter, Parson or Turner on the linebacker? Seems like there were three options, pass downfield, run the middle or Chevan take off. Too predictable. All MWC teams will find defending UH predictable unless they get more creative.
Their nose tackle was solid. Their linebackers filled. Their oline very aggressive. Created some nice cracks. Our linebackers at times disappeared. Really impressed with their runningback. Seemed at times like their DC had our play book. Did a really nice job confusing our offense. Whiffed blocks and unblocked blitzers would throw off the timing of any quarterback. Hard to throw the ball when you have linebacker blitzing the a gap with no one picking him up. Our coach said it all when he said that he thought that we could get 3 yards on that 4th down play running the way they did. He was wrong.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

I’m guessing it’s the coaching. They just need to let Chevan be Chevan and not this run run pass concept where it puts pressure on Chevan on 3rd down. Chevan has really flourished the past 2 games.