bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Sit Chevan Cordeiro

Post by bigislandkurt »

Ouch! I can feel it already. Many of you have your guns blazin' and your spears aimed right at me. But hear me out on this one.

Maybe it is time to give Schager a chance.

Too many excuses are being made to defend CC. He's a run and shoot QB, the offense is not made for him, his receivers need to catch the ball, etc etc etc. I've watched every game he has played and perhaps some of the points made in defense of CC have at least some merit to them. Especially about receivers needing to catch balls! But not all excuses apply. He got us excited for a few spotty games throughout his career, but on far more instances, we found him to be above average at best. He really poses no threat to opposing defenses other than his ability to check down and run. Is that the offense we want? Easy to blame coaches, but the QB still has to deliver. If Chevan can only thrive in the R&S, then perhaps a transfer to WSU is his only salvation. I don't like to believe that he can only be a R&S QB. A veteran QB like him should be able to adapt his skills and take on the new offense regardless. No excuses. He had last year and now this year. I'm simply not seeing much growth.

Winning cures all? Perhaps. But losing still sucks.

If Chevan has a monumental turn around and we go on to rack up a series of big wins, I'll eat crow hekka. But for now...Maybe it's time to give the freshman a chance.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Sit Chevan Cordeiro

Post by SundayJam »

Honestly, I think he was the better quarterback in the last game. The only blow-out this year was the game-opener--and that was compounded by a bad snap and a blocked kick. Oh wait, we had another blocked kick this last game too. The quarterback performance is the least of our problems. In fact, he's pretty good. Buggah can run and throw a long ball. We lost three games so far this year that we were expected to lose...and not because of our quarterback.

I predict losses to SDSU, Fresno St., and Utah St. They are better teams. Can we have a winning season? I don't know at this point. I guess it's a rebuild year with a second year head coach managing a terrible schedule. Last year's bowl win was spectacular and a promise of better things to come. Heck, If we'd had Wyoming's schedule, we'd be 3-0 now instead of 1-3.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Brah....sit the OC...Bo don't know dilly.

All joking aside. CC hasn't played well and his accuracy is crappy. However, the play calling, OL are garbage 🗑.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

BIK,

While I agree with most of your posts, I don't on this one. Sorry, brother. . . my thought is if you looked at the strength of schedule this year, the new OC calling plays (resembling the Chow era all over again), WR's dropping passes, turnovers and miscues on special teams . . .

If we take the causes one by one, looking at the strength of schedule, how many fans really expected UH to win at UCLA, with their team speed and their running back on offense? Oregon State at their house is a tough game to win especially with their DB's practically mugging our WR's with no calls from the refs. Portland State was supposed to be a win. San Jose State was the Division Champs last year with their starting QB returning, what's the chance of beating them, considering the relative inexperience of the Offensive Coaching staff at UH?

The play calling by the new OC . . . he is going through a learning curve this year. His play calling at times reminds me of the Chow years all over again.

WR's need to be fearless on the field and catch the ball, if they can't hold on to the ball, they should sit and the next one in. We have reliable receivers on the depth chart that will catch the ball if it hits them in the hands.

The other aspect to consider is if it's fair to put a True Freshman in against some of the teams we played. He should probably be put in after he has seen more D1 games, maybe going in to relieve Chevan in blowout games, hopefully against NM, UNLV and maybe Colorado State. Might be better to redshirt him this year.

I could see the season ending with a 7 win season if we are lucky, but more likely a 6 win season. Expecting more this season, given the circumstances, is just asking to be disappointed.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

I'm agreeing that this years offensive staff is inexperienced and much of a burden to the Warriors success than CC is at QB. At each position group there's an assistant coach-OL, WR, RB, TE, QB, that's coaching that group of players for the very first time at this level. There's no QB coach to coach CC, or a JJ or NR type that can light a fire under CC with in game coaching. There's nothing. There's no motivation, spark. Theres nothing.. There's water dousing a fire. What does Bo know? What does his resume speak of? Nothing except that he's a daddy's boy, which by now is becoming disgustingly apparent. The OSU game was like watching the Warrior OC commit coaching malpractice. In the first quarter, RB Dee Hunter had a nice 12 yard run, followed by a 8 yard run and then DH was stopped for a 5 yard loss on a broken play. That was DH's last carry for the remainder of the game. Huh? Can someone give Bo a how-to-coach book. Last season there was more of a balance attack, where CC attempted 34 passes a game for a 62% completion rate. That was decent and proves more so that he was quickly adapting to becoming a run an gun QB. This season he's attempting 40 passes a game for a 53% (ugh) completion rate, and is basically handicapped because the Warriors have no balance attack with having a running game and being faced to coming from behind. It's like watching the opposing defenses drop back with 8 DB's which is the defensive template to beating the Warriors. Add in the fact that the WR have 16 dropped passes on the season (and I would argue that the WR are less adapting to becoming run and gun receivers than run and shoot receivers)...As much as I like S, and think his future is bright I don't think with how limited and undercoached the Warriors offense he can do any better than CC. For the record CC is grading in the high 70's (according to pff.com) which is slightly higher than the SJ and Boise QB.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Bo Graham was said to have been calling the offensive plays last year after Kinne was relieved of that duty early in the season. What has changed in his approach to play calling since then?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

I believe that Chevan at QB gives us the best chance to win. There is the adage that the backup quarterback is the most popular player on the team. I don’t for a minute think that Brayden Schager is better at this point. Otherwise, TG would play him. This is not Larry Price playing the local QB over JJ.

What Chevan lacks on the arm strength side he makes up and then some with his feet. In some ways, he reminds me of Fran Tarkenton with his skill set. Brayden probably would not be able to shine with the OL and WR issues raised in this thread. He will have his day in the sun, and I am looking forward to that (but not if it’s due to injury). Right now, it’s Chevan to me.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

$hitty scheme , $hitty blocking, $hitty tackling, $hitty special teams equals $hitty season.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I don’t think that they should sit Chevan down. Coach has said it is not his fault. Coach put together this staff. He made all these changes. It’s all on him. He said so.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

johnny
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by johnny »

Todd Graham is the Defensive Guy in charge despite all the titles. His son is the Offensive guy with the title. All the praise and poop rest in this household. Reminds me of a great QB who thrived under the Run and Shoot system and now must adjust to a new playbook under a new coach. Hard to fit a round screw into a square hole and not expect a few adjustments. We had this adjustment when Norm Chow took over the Run and Shoot. Hawaii has limited resources and the Run and Shoot can overcome a lot of those but we need a Run and Shoot coach to have a chance at any post season bowl games. Todd Graham is a great coach but he does not have his guys in the system and it is going to be an bumpy ride. We should have won the San Jose game period. No excuses since we are the home team and both sides looked terrible.

Pliny
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Pliny »

I say sit him and make him earn it back. He might need that to get him going.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Across the college football landscape, true freshmen have come in and excelled for many top schools. Including schools with some of our very own Hawaii products. Can't understand why some would feel like it would be some how "risky" or detrimental to give Schager a look. Additionally, rules now allow for him to play in games and still preserve his redshirt. I guess Hawaii is different from other schools.

https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/foot ... ager/19505
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

bigislandkurt wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:26 am Across the college football landscape, true freshmen have come in and excelled for many top schools. Including schools with some of our very own Hawaii products. Can't understand why some would feel like it would be some how "risky" or detrimental to give Schager a look. Additionally, rules now allow for him to play in games and still preserve his redshirt. I guess Hawaii is different from other schools.

https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/foot ... ager/19505
Did those schools that have a true freshmen starting at QB have a returning incumbent? It's really tough for a true freshman to come in and unseat a returning starter - especially at QB. If TG determines that Schager should start over Chevan, then he'll make that call. I am not one to use up plays/series to have a look at the backup perform - unless we are up by 3+ TDs (I seem to recall that as something JJ said). There has to be a reason to change the QB like injury, running a certain personnel group for specific plays like Calvin Turner or John Ursua running the "wildcat", or bringing in Shawn Withy-Allen to execute running plays. Just my thoughts.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

As a back-up, Cordeiro was brought in few times to help out a faltering Cole McDonald. Hawaii has benched starting quarterbacks on many occasions in the past. I just don't see Cordeiro being the problem. He's pretty darn good. We have a good team. We've just been unlucky. Today, that luck changes.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

CC has his limitations. His height creates problems for him finding passing lanes which results on high passes, blocked passes and passes behind his receivers. He struggles throwing over DEs to RBs and rarely hits a RB in stride so that it is difficult for them to put a move on and LB or safety. His biggest limitation is the sideline pass from the opposite hash mark. He just can't make that long throw accurately. He has that long wind-up that telegraphs his throw and gives CBs time to recover. The lack of this 10 yard sideline pass effectively eliminates a third of the field on every play. CC is a capable QB, inconsistent as a passer thus an inconsistent offense especially on 3rd down. Brilliant at times but looks like he has happy feet and doesn't see wide open receivers.