Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
daddy
Starter
Starter
MLB: Kansas City Royals
NFL: Chiefs and any team w/CB

Re: *****OFFICIAL WARRIORS VS. BEAVERS GAME THREAD*****

Post by daddy »

honu888 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:40 pm This season is over already. They didn't show any improvements whatsoever in this game. TG and BG both suck in my opinion!!!! I feel sorry for those super seniors that stuck around for this season! Yes I'm Pisssssed!!!

I get that it sucks to get beat by basically 3 TD’s in a game that was never close after the first few minutes but ultimately, a loss is a loss. Hawaii has lost 2 road games to PAC 12 teams that they were “supposed” to lose. Did anyone realistically have @UCLA or @Oregon State circled as W’s?

Conference play hasn’t even started yet. Only thing that is over is our National Championship hopes (LOL). However, there is much to improve on and hopefully we get better over the next few weeks.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

For what it's worth, I did like the offensive play-calling this game.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:35 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:21 pm They need to finish strong now and score the final touchdown even if the game is out of reach to give them momentum going into next week.
I like what I see. Oregon State is not going back to locker room thinking that was easy. We put some good hits on them. No shame on this one.
Yeah, I liked some of the things I saw. Aside from the interception by the linebacker in coverage against Cordeiro, for the most part, Chevan showed good decision making in throwing, when to run and I liked the fact when he was bottled up going around the end, he underhanded the ball out of bounds for an incomplete pass instead of taking a loss. I also like the trickeration play from Calvin at QB to Parson then lateral to Chevan and pass to Calvin in the flat. Calvin made three OSU defenders break ankles going to his left then Calvin switching to the right like they were standing still and took it downfield for 35 yards. Man I loved that especially after the no-call pass interference against OSU DB where he pulled Turners mask and threw him to the ground.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Biggest glaring issue on O is this, when they spread out wide, they are super successful with drag , crossing and China routes then they bunch in and run short routes or dive up the middle WTH? Why so many passes near the line of scrimmage? Is this the high octane offense they promised?
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:08 am Biggest glaring issue on O is this, when they spread out wide, they are super successful with drag , crossing and China routes then they bunch in and run short routes or dive up the middle WTH? Why so many passes near the line of scrimmage? Is this the high octane offense they promised?
I think we are getting close to high octane. If the receiving stats just pick up a notch, we will be there. I think the next game is when it all comes together.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:16 am
Palolo_2LA wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:08 am Biggest glaring issue on O is this, when they spread out wide, they are super successful with drag , crossing and China routes then they bunch in and run short routes or dive up the middle WTH? Why so many passes near the line of scrimmage? Is this the high octane offense they promised?
I think we are getting close to high octane. If the receiving stats just pick up a notch, we will be there. I think the next game is when it all comes together.
I think we are lucky to have Chevan at qb. Without his legs things would be much worse. On d they did pretty much what they wanted to in the 1st quarter. Players looked confused at times. Coach admitted that. Again it was plain to see that we were out coached. We really sucked on d. No one to blame but coach. He made all those changes. Not having Lockridge early on hurt. Not having Laulu on the trip really hurt. Best player on d was Justice. I also think Ford is too slow and not quick enough to play where he is playing. Our tackling still iffy. Seems like we don’t have players available for games for one reason or another and it hurts us. We still don’t have a good rotation with ones and twos. Too much of a focus on trying to get the ball to Turner. Offense got better when they spread the ball around more. Coach says they need to do a better job preparing players. It’s his staff so it is all on him. I still hope coach can turn things around. But I am getting tired of watching ugly games. There are a lot of good ones going on.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

i liked the call to pass on fourth down opting to try for a score or first down rather than just punting when hawaii was in oregon state's territory. chevan tossed the ball deep and it was intercepted and oregon state took over. defensive backs just can't resist an interception and having the opponent taking over deep in their own territory from an interception is just as effective as a punt.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

st808 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:40 pm i liked the call to pass on fourth down opting to try for a score or first down rather than just punting when hawaii was in oregon state's territory. chevan tossed the ball deep and it was intercepted and oregon state took over. defensive backs just can't resist an interception and having the opponent taking over deep in their own territory from an interception is just as effective as a punt.
That's something I can't stand every time I see it. I told my family when that happened that If I was on the sidelines, I wouldn't be high-fiving and celebrating with the DB. I'd ask him, "What the hell are you doing, dude?"

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Nisei wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:13 pm
st808 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:40 pm i liked the call to pass on fourth down opting to try for a score or first down rather than just punting when hawaii was in oregon state's territory. chevan tossed the ball deep and it was intercepted and oregon state took over. defensive backs just can't resist an interception and having the opponent taking over deep in their own territory from an interception is just as effective as a punt.
That's something I can't stand every time I see it. I told my family when that happened that If I was on the sidelines, I wouldn't be high-fiving and celebrating with the DB. I'd ask him, "What the hell are you doing, dude?"
When I play football on my Xbox, I don’t know how to have my CB drop those. :D

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

daddy wrote: get that it sucks to get beat by basically 3 TD’s in a game that was never close after the first few minutes but ultimately, a loss is a loss. Hawaii has lost 2 road games to PAC 12 teams that they were “supposed” to lose. Did anyone realistically have @UCLA or @Oregon State circled as W’s?
This.

We were underdogs in both fights. Heck, we haven't won a road game in the Pac10/12 for some years now...I suspect since before many forum members were born. UCLA was an awesome opponent with NFL ready performers. The Beavers defended their house. Would you consider scoring 28 points at a PAC12 school a blow-out? I wouldn't. We simply lost to better teams on the road. What's new for Hawaii in this scenario? Nothing, I'd say.

Now, the real season begins.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:39 pm
daddy wrote: get that it sucks to get beat by basically 3 TD’s in a game that was never close after the first few minutes but ultimately, a loss is a loss. Hawaii has lost 2 road games to PAC 12 teams that they were “supposed” to lose. Did anyone realistically have @UCLA or @Oregon State circled as W’s?
This.

We were underdogs in both fights. Heck, we haven't won a road game in the Pac10/12 for some years now...I suspect since before many forum members were born. UCLA was an awesome opponent with NFL ready performers. The Beavers defended their house. Would you consider scoring 28 points at a PAC12 school a blow-out? I wouldn't. We simply lost to better teams on the road. What's new for Hawaii in this scenario? Nothing, I'd say.

Now, the real season begins.
We won at Wazzu 38-20 in 2009. Technically, it was a "neutral field" because it was played in Seattle, but it counts. I have no idea how the game went because I had to listen to it on the radio, however. Still, I see your point. You may be right about people overreacting, but I think it is fair to expect this team to be a little better prepared than they have been, as the team is full of returning players and because of how they ended last season, particularly on defense. I hope the coaching staff takes the lessons from this game and applies it to the rest of the season in regards to how to approach road games. I think at the beginning of games they need to be less aggressive on defense (more base defense, less one-on-one situations) and more aggressive on offense (trying to establish the run early against better teams plays to their favor) to not allow for such a large momentum gap and such a large hole to dig out of. If the final score of the OSU game was the same, but the game stays close until OSU pulls away late, no one feels like this.

for anyone interested, the 1992 UH win @ Oregon is on YouTube. We also won at Cal in 1994, right before starting an epic losing streak that made no sense at the time. I knew some guys on the team from back then and they would recount how toxic the environment was on the team, which likely led to the losing that would cost Bob Wagner his job.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Ah...2009. Were you Backin' McMackin back then? We ended the season 6-7. Everyone was screaming for McMackin's head after a season-ending blow-out by Wisconsin in the Hawaii Bowl. The next year, we were WAC champs and everything's hunky dory.

This was no upset. We were the underdogs...and for good reason. Still, I saw many instances of brilliant play. This is a good team and it won't end badly. Hang in there Hawaii fans.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

SundayJam wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:19 pm Ah...2009. Were you Backin' McMackin back then? We ended the season 6-7. Everyone was screaming for McMackin's head after a season-ending blow-out by Wisconsin in the Hawaii Bowl. The next year, we were WAC champs and everything's hunky dory.
Hawaii NEVER played Wisconsin in any Hawaii Bowl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Bowl

OR in any bowl game...period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Ra ... Bowl_games

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

wyokie wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:46 pm
SundayJam wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:19 pm Ah...2009. Were you Backin' McMackin back then? We ended the season 6-7. Everyone was screaming for McMackin's head after a season-ending blow-out by Wisconsin in the Hawaii Bowl. The next year, we were WAC champs and everything's hunky dory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Bowl

OR in any bowl game...period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Ra ... Bowl_games
We ended the season against Wisconsin but not in any bowl game.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

wyokie wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:46 pm
Meh, we were blown-out by them none-the-less...and Hawaii fans threw some major shade at the coach for losing so badly...and for having a losing season. Some running back...Melvin Gordon...just ran all over us. It was our coach's fault, of course.