What Do You See In The UH-OSU Game?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

I see this as a bad blood game, similarly as when UH visits Fresno, and I think rivalry games bring the best out of the Warriors. Who can forget the last time these two teams played and at the end of the game the OSU lineman suckered punched a Hawaii player? Surely not the Warriors and I think the players will be more motivated and focused against the Beavers for this reason.

At the beginning of the season the sagarian power rankings had these two teams evenly ranked and the game was predicted a toss up. I still think it's a toss up eventhough LV has OSU 11 point favorites. In the Warrior's first two game the team underperformed, and surely hasn't played to it's potential and for this reason I think if UH finds its groove the team can surely surprise OSU.

It's not like OSU's lineup is filled with elite players and 4 star players. It's not. In fact UH's roster mirrors OSU's (one 4 star recruit in the last 5 recruiting classes) and when I looked at the pff.com grades of OSU's offensive and defensive players in it's last game the grades absolutely mirrors the Warriors-a lot of player with grades in the 60's and 50's and a couple in the 70's.

I see UH holding it's own. In fact in OSU's last game the team had 22 mistackles with the S (#3) having 7 mistackles and hopefully the Warriors find an edge here and take advantage of. With the teams evenly matched it might come down to coaching and I hope the coaches had a good week of practice. I wouldn't mind seeing a shake up in the OL. Perhaps MV back to LT.

I think going into this game CC will be more in tune than in the UCLA game. He graded in the 60's against UCLA and improved to grading a 92 against PSU and eventhough this tuneup came against a lesser opponent I think CC finding his groove in that game will definitely be a difference maker in UH's success against OSU if keep on this track . It's just my gut feeling.

What has to happen is that Ford, Davis, Laulu and Turner have it them to do way better than how they have performed in the first two games and I hope these players have exceptional games against OSU becaue that is what it is going to take for UH to win.

This should be good day for the Warriors. What do you see?

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: What Do You See In The UH-OSU Game?

Post by poidog »

sarvicdar wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:45 am What Do You See In The UH-OSU Game?

I see this as a bad blood game, similarly as when UH visits Fresno, and I think rivalry games bring the best out of the Warriors. Who can forget the last time these two teams played and at the end of the game the OSU lineman suckered punched a Hawaii player? Surely not the Warriors and I think the players will be more motivated and focused against the Beavers for this reason.

At the beginning of the season the sagarian power rankings had these two teams evenly ranked and the game was predicted a toss up. I still think it's a toss up eventhough LV has OSU 11 point favorites. In the Warrior's first two game the team underperformed, and surely hasn't played to it's potential and for this reason I think if UH finds its groove the team can surely surprise OSU.

It's not like OSU's lineup is filled with elite players and 4 star players. It's not. In fact UH's roster mirrors OSU's (one 4 star recruit in the last 5 recruiting classes) and when I looked at the pff.com grades of OSU's offensive and defensive players in it's last game the grades absolutely mirrors the Warriors-a lot of player with grades in the 60's and 50's and a couple in the 70's.

I see UH holding it's own. In fact in OSU's last game the team had 22 mistackles with the S (#3) having 7 mistackles and hopefully the Warriors find an edge here and take advantage of. With the teams evenly matched it might come down to coaching and I hope the coaches had a good week of practice. I wouldn't mind seeing a shake up in the OL. Perhaps MV back to LT.

I think going into this game CC will be more in tune than in the UCLA game. He graded in the 60's against UCLA and improved to grading a 92 against PSU and eventhough this tuneup came against a lesser opponent I think CC finding his groove in that game will definitely be a difference maker in UH's success against OSU if keep on this track . It's just my gut feeling.

What has to happen is that Ford, Davis, Laulu and Turner have it them to do way better than how they have performed in the first two games and I hope these players have exceptional games against OSU becaue that is what it is going to take for UH to win.

This should be good day for the Warriors. What do you see?
nice write-up. I think if we tackle well and limit mistakes, it will be a competitive game. We likely need to get out to an early lead and force them to abandon the run to get the best chance to win.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I would like to see less mistakes overall. UH did relatively well in the penalty phase but the drops, fumbles and misplayed balls did not help. Coach Graham mentioned defenders being out of position in their alignments against PSU.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Looking at OSU's schedule last year, they played the Pac-12 games pretty even. Their best runner, Jermar Jefferson went to the Lions so luckily we wont see him but according to Graham they have a great offensive line coach and 4 top wide receivers so it'll be a good game.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

hawaii:
offense: ball is put into play under 15 seconds; short passing game, taking what the os defense leaves open, quick snap quick pass; rolling pass pocket; running game, qb runs opens up deeper passing game; receivers catching more, dropping less; chevan delivering the ball so the receivers can fight for the reception.
really important: first offensive play snapped without calling a time out; snap the ball when os is offsides or is late running the twelfth player off the field.

defense: pass rushes leads to interceptions; forced turn overs in the os backfield; third down stands; blocked punt.
really important: wrapping up and finishing tackles instead of relying on bumping a runner down.

special teams: more fair catches to preserve field position; turner burning through os coverage for six. fumbled kick recovery for uh.
really important: long snapper accuracy; field goal accuracy; focus on catching the ball before running.

so much for the wish list warrior bingo card.

i expect to see wholesale improvements across the entire team or second quarter substitutions by graham to force improvements and motivate starters for second half.

unfortunately, i also see ugly personal foul penalties from os that hawaii does not see in any other opponent.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Hawaii get chance. Let's not forget that UCLA is ranked and OSU is not. The Bruins punched the life out of recent National Champions, the Tigers. The Beave's got smacked down by the Boilermakers. At least we've got a win this year...along with a loss to a spectacular Pac12 team. Also, with all the errors, I saw some stunning plays by Hawaii's star-players last week.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

OSU still has a ? on the starting QB, good sign. Stop the run, OSU didn't run the ball well against Perdue. Pressure the QB with different blitz packages. Keep the receivers in front of you, no big plays.

Spread the OSU defense horizontally and vertically. Bigger gaps at the line of scrimmage. We have to run the ball. Designed running plays for Cordeiro. OSU will pressure Cordeiro. Receivers, RBs and Cordeiro need to read blitzes and break routes for quick passes in the open areas. Cordeiro's decision making and passing accuracy will be the determining factor. He needs to be decisive.
Read the D. At the snap if you are going to throw...throw. If you are going to run.....run. CC isn't a pocket passer. Use your tight end, he is a big target.

Take care of the ball !!!!!

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Chevan played good enough to give Hawaii a chance to score some points against OSU, but this is year 2 for coach Graham. I expect this years team to improve through out the season and have a fighting chance to squeak a bowl game. But I have no delusions that in year 2 of Graham Hawaii is going to get to the MWC Championship Game, got to temper the expectations.

August 28 at UCLA L 10–44

September 4 Portland State W 49–35

September 11 at Oregon State L 27–45

September 18 San Jose State (Home Game close cardiac attack style loss)

September 25 at New Mexico State (Road game Win)

October 2 Fresno State (Home game blow out loss)

October 16 at Nevada (Road game blow out loss)

October 23 New Mexico State (Home game huge blow out win)

October 30 at Utah State ( Road game close win)

November 6 San Diego State (Home game close cardiac attack style loss)

November 13 at UNLV (Road game win)

November 20 Colorado State (Home game close win)

November 27 at Wyoming (Road game blow out loss)

6 wins, 7 losses might be enough to squeak into a bowl game.

West
Predicted finish
1 Nevada
2 Fresno State
3 San Jose State
4 San Diego State
5 Hawaii
6 UNLV

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Hawaii scored 28 points. It was a winnable game. We've got some stunning offensive potential. The D is gonna get better. Graham got us an upset bowl win last year. He has delivered a promising offense filled with promising recruits. I feel no hate here. Hopefully, it's another lesson on the learning curve for a young team.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

We weren't prepared to play. That's on the coaches.
ImageImage