*****OFFICIAL HAWAII VS. UCLA GAME THREAD*****

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: *****OFFICIAL HAWAII VS. UCLA GAME THREAD*****

Post by UnBiasFan »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:29 pm Horrific offensive scheme...everything 5 yards and under.
We don't have the hourses to plat this system. A la Pappas Chow's O, no Reggie Bush. CC needs to sit...hemis passes are either too high or to low- $hiity touch like T Chang.

The D was pushed around. Luckily Chip showed mercy.
I think it was more than the scheme or play calling …. their D looked pretty impressive, at least matched up against us

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:01 pm
Palolo_2LA wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:29 pm Horrific offensive scheme...everything 5 yards and under.
We don't have the hourses to plat this system. A la Pappas Chow's O, no Reggie Bush. CC needs to sit...hemis passes are either too high or to low- $hiity touch like T Chang.

The D was pushed around. Luckily Chip showed mercy.
I think it was more than the scheme or play calling …. their D looked pretty impressive, at least matched up against us
If someone is more athletic, bigger the scheme can level things out. With everything being short, UH condensed the D more and made it impossible to succeed.

The throws by CC were very inaccurate, a few passes were dropped and special teams wasn't special. This is wk 1 and simply a better team in all ways, so I can live w/that.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

We were pretty unlucky. When was the last time you saw a punter take a knee before punting the ball? I'd say...never. Their running backs looked pretty professional--they didn't give up on a run. Also, that blocked punt to end the game was pretty ridiculous. Do we have a new long-snapper or punter?

I think it was not so much a tune-up game as a wake-up call. Our seniors gotta look at a lot of tape and figure it out quickly.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:24 am We were pretty unlucky. When was the last time you saw a punter take a knee before punting the ball? I'd say...never. Their running backs looked pretty professional--they didn't give up on a run. Also, that blocked punt to end the game was pretty ridiculous. Do we have a new long-snapper or punter?

I think it was not so much a tune-up game as a wake-up call. Our seniors gotta look at a lot of tape and figure it out quickly.
The punter was fielding a bad snap. Maybe they need more bad snap drills. But I would just call it a freak accident and move on. He got off a hell of a punt.

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

That was ugly yesterday. It was one game but the offense was offensive to watch.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

36k is the largest crowd in many ears.

vailima
All-conference
All-conference

Post by vailima »

I want to see how the team does next couple games, the 1st quarter got away from us, mostly thought we shouldnʻt have had the jitters, veteran team. we pretty much held up second half, positive to build on

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

if we go back to JJ's mantra in 1999 of going at least 2-1 in each quarter of the season, we still can salvage that. that team got wallop'd by USC and won their next 2. can we do the same?

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

I saw some things that I liked, and a lot of things I didn't like. I'm not worried yet. If we struggle with Portland State next week, then the sky is falling. Let's hope UCLA beats LSU next week. :)

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Unfortunately there were not very many positives to take away from this game. Manhandled and out coached in all phases. Warriors need to rebound against Portland State in a big way this week.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Reminded me of the 2017 game at the Rose Bowl when Rolo and the RNS couldn't get anything done either and lost 56-23

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:49 pm Reminded me of the 2017 game at the Rose Bowl when Rolo and the RNS couldn't get anything done either and lost 56-23
I remember that year. Two weeks afterwards in the Warriors next game, Hawaii almost beat Wyoming in Laramie but lost 28-21 in OT.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:49 pm Reminded me of the 2017 game at the Rose Bowl when Rolo and the RNS couldn't get anything done either and lost 56-23
We were not yet running the R&S in 2017. it was read option/RPO with TE's like Tui Unga (his family had a huge tailgate and roasted a whole pig in the parking lot!). Dru Brown was still QB (though Cole McDonald had a long TD run in garbage time). 2018 CSU was the first time Rolo's R&S was used.
Last edited by poidog on Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

wyokie wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:19 pm
I remember that year. Two weeks afterwards in the Warriors next game, Hawaii almost beat Wyoming in Laramie but lost 28-21 in OT.
I thought Josh Allen was overrated after watching that game. I'm happy to have been wrong about that, however!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

poidog wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:31 pm
wyokie wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:19 pm
I thought Josh Allen was overrated after watching that game. I'm happy to have been wrong about that, however!
Safe bet Buffalo Bills fans are thrilled he isn't overrated. He just might give them the one thing Jim Kelly couldn't. A Super Bowl Championship.