Intel on this year's team

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

Intel on this year's team

Post by uhwarriors »

QB – Cordeiro is bigger and stronger, has tightened up his throwing motion and appears much more comfortable with the offense this year resulting with increased accuracy long and short. Schager has a strong and accurate arm and is picking up the offense. He is mobile but is not nearly the dangerous running threat as Cordeiro is in the read option and scrambling. Schager had passed Abbott, but losing Abbott is a big blow to the QB depth since there was a big drop off from Abbott to the rest of the QBs.

RB – Deep and talented. After Hunter, there’s a committee of RBs all with different strengths that will contribute. Parson, Phillips, Scott, etc. will all get carries and receptions. Parsons is a short, sturdy built RB who has one cut make you miss ability. Phillips is lightning fast. Scott is fast, tough and has some make you miss ability.

WR – Deep, fast and talented. Mardner and Smart will probably start, but lots of guys will make plays this year and the ball will be spread around a lot. Newcomer Edwards has come on strong. Cephus had a real good fall camp. Bowens has great top end speed to get deep. Don’t be surprised when Panoke and Mokiau-Atimalala make plays.

TE – Phillips will be the primary TE. But expect some explosive plays from Fiso and Solo Turner out of the H when the H is switched in for the TE position.

Several transfers will play major roles on Defense. Azuma will be at S with Bethley and Ford. McKinney and Tonga will see a lot of time at DL.

Laulu is back at DL after the experiment at TE. More depth in the secondary, especially CB with Davis, Lockridge, Washington and Burton.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: Intel on this year's team

Post by ubercow »

great info, thanks for the update!

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Always count on your great insight uhwarriors. Thank you.

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

Thanks for the summary. UH released the 2 deep roster and matches what you said about Mardner, Smart and Phillips starting. Also, your comment about transfers contributing is spot on. We picked up 12 total transfers this year and all but one (Kolby Wyatt) are listed on the 2 deep. Azunna, Baker, Phillips, Tonga, McKinney and Turner are listed as potential starters. And it's not like they're starting because we had holes to fill. Azunna, Baker, Tonga and McKinney are battling in positions where we had starters returning. I'm expecting our defense will be the best we've seen in years.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Appreciate the intel uhwarriors! Can't wait until Saturday!!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

I'm hopeful the new DL and DBs make a difference. There were some huge lapses o n defense last yr.

Also, eager to see this high octane offense we keep hearing about, which had the time to be installed, tweaked and executed.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

This seasons team captains are DM, KB, and CC. Of the depth chart (and I hope I get egg in the face) but I can't see KL being effective at C. The O-line would be much stronger with KL at RG and ET at center. I've been to practices in '19 and seen the way he snaps the ball-its terrible, slow and tak s forever to get to the QB. But then again maybe KL made huge strides at C. From what I see ET is the best center. We'll see Saturday.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

sarvicdar wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:01 am The O-line would be much stronger with KL at RG and ET at center. I've been to practices in '19 and seen the way he snaps the ball-its terrible, slow and tak s forever to get to the QB. But then again maybe KL made huge strides at C. From what I see ET is the best center. We'll see Saturday.
wow, you should email the coaches or something before they make a huge mistake.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

sarvicdar wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:01 am This seasons team captains are DM, KB, and CC. Of the depth chart (and I hope I get egg in the face) but I can't see KL being effective at C. The O-line would be much stronger with KL at RG and ET at center. I've been to practices in '19 and seen the way he snaps the ball-its terrible, slow and tak s forever to get to the QB. But then again maybe KL made huge strides at C. From what I see ET is the best center. We'll see Saturday.
I am kind of worried about the snaps too. But I like him at center. Coach thinks that he can do the job. I thought that we were a bit weak in the middle last season.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

sarvicdar wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:01 am This seasons team captains are DM, KB, and CC. Of the depth chart (and I hope I get egg in the face) but I can't see KL being effective at C. The O-line would be much stronger with KL at RG and ET at center. I've been to practices in '19 and seen the way he snaps the ball-its terrible, slow and tak s forever to get to the QB. But then again maybe KL made huge strides at C. From what I see ET is the best center. We'll see Saturday.
Saw that too from Levao in 2019. Didn't he play center in some games too? Off target as well. Shotgun snaps take rhythm, and rhythm takes a lot of reps. I hope that he's been working on it daily. Focusing on only one position instead of two.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

I’m not concerned about Levao’s snapping. That was two years ago. From what I’ve seen and heard, it hasn’t been an issue in fall camp and in the scrimmages. What’s more important now is who is the better leader, recognizes fronts and makes the line calls better, is more physical and is a better blocker.

Another thing to consider is that many times the coaches want the best combination of 5 guys starting on the O-line. So perhaps regardless of whether Levao is better than Tanuvasa at C, it could be the combination of Levao at C and Vanterpool at G is probably better than Levao at G and Tanuvasa at C.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

uhwarriors wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:02 pm I’m not concerned about Levao’s snapping. That was two years ago. From what I’ve seen and heard, it hasn’t been an issue in fall camp and in the scrimmages. What’s more important now is who is the better leader, recognizes fronts and makes the line calls better, is more physical and is a better blocker.

Another thing to consider is that many times the coaches want the best combination of 5 guys starting on the O-line. So perhaps regardless of whether Levao is better than Tanuvasa at C, it could be the combination of Levao at C and Vanterpool at G is probably better than Levao at G and Tanuvasa at C.
I guess that's why they are coaches at this level, and I defer to their knowledge, experience and sense when it comes to the X's and O's. The 11 players who are going to give us the best chance to win are gonna play

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

uhwarriors wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:02 pm I’m not concerned about Levao’s snapping. That was two years ago. From what I’ve seen and heard, it hasn’t been an issue in fall camp and in the scrimmages. What’s more important now is who is the better leader, recognizes fronts and makes the line calls better, is more physical and is a better blocker.

I have noticed that our coach will move players around to get what he thinks are the best players on the field. Kinda like June.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: