Fans required to be vaccinated in order to attend games!!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by sarvicdar »

It remains to be seen if the games at Ching field will have fans. So far everyone is quiet. It's hard to ignore the 1500+ covid cases that the state reported in the last 3 days (3000+ active cases), which is at least 4x higher than at this time last season when the season was cancelled and then reopened. It will be interesting to see what direction the state, gov, and mayor take in the ensuing weeks leading up to the start of the season. Not to sound like a downer but when you read the HL, especially how 2300 vaccinated workers at a SF hospital caught the disease in July and how Florida spiked to its highest one day total since the start of the pandemic of 21k it does prompt the same type of concerns the state faced last season imo.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by poidog »

sarvicdar wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:58 pm It remains to be seen if the games at Ching field will have fans. So far everyone is quiet. It's hard to ignore the 1500+ covid cases that the state reported in the last 3 days (3000+ active cases), which is at least 4x higher than at this time last season when the season was cancelled and then reopened. It will be interesting to see what direction the state, gov, and mayor take in the ensuing weeks leading up to the start of the season. Not to sound like a downer but when you read the HL, especially how 2300 vaccinated workers at a SF hospital caught the disease in July and how Florida spiked to its highest one day total since the start of the pandemic of 21k it does prompt the same type of concerns the state faced last season imo.
I think it will depend on hospital occupancy this time around. If the case count gets really high but hospital beds are not overwhelmed, hopefully they'll let fans in. So far, Oahu hospital bed available is "ok" even with the case count being so high, so there's reason for hope... I hope

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Fans required to be vaccinated in order to attend games!!

Post by couz808 »

uhwarriors

Re: Fans required to be vaccinated in order to attend games!!

Post by uhwarriors »

Not unexpected and a good move to get as many people into the games as safely as possible. Sounds like masks will be required too. Again, I think that's a great idea to be ultra-conservative until the Covid numbers go way down from where they are now.

https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1423546191174725636

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

i don't mind displaying my vax card but i don't want my birthdate downloaded with it or photocopied to avoid identity theft. i hope the u.h. will have something in place to protect fans' identity.

good news for those who are still waiting for a call. there might be fans who choose not to vax and their seats will open.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I hope they do this for basketball and volleyball, at least while case counts are spiking. I don't want them to ever have to play without fans this season so they gotta take whatever steps necessary.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

if the u.h. requires vax cards for everyone, coaches, players, students, reporters, fans, refs, stadium staff, visitors and vendors, games at ching field might be a safe place. it may even be the safest outdoor gathering on the island.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

The rDNA signature widgets could impair brain function among certain sub-groups according to recent studies. Under these circumstances, I could see some people opting out. These people opting out of attending the games is not necessarily a bad thing.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

st808 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:48 pm if the u.h. requires vax cards for everyone, coaches, players, students, reporters, fans, refs, stadium staff, visitors and vendors, games at ching field might be a safe place. it may even be the safest outdoor gathering on the island.
Good point - that's likely what they are trying to do. This ensures that they give the gov as little reason as possible to ban fans from the UH games and keeps other venues from claiming favoritism for UH.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

poidog wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:23 pm
st808 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:48 pm if the u.h. requires vax cards for everyone, coaches, players, students, reporters, fans, refs, stadium staff, visitors and vendors, games at ching field might be a safe place. it may even be the safest outdoor gathering on the island.
Good point - that's likely what they are trying to do. This ensures that they give the gov as little reason as possible to ban fans from the UH games and keeps other venues from claiming favoritism for UH.
And if masks are required even though it's outdoors an even stronger argument can be made that it will be as safe as possible. Although tailgating is a big part of the game day experience, UH has already said it wasn't going to be allowed this season. So they've already effectively overcome the objection of pre-game social gatherings without masks while eating.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

uhwarriors wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:52 pm
And if masks are required even though it's outdoors an even stronger argument can be made that it will be as safe as possible. Although tailgating is a big part of the game day experience, UH has already said it wasn't going to be allowed this season. So they've already effectively overcome the objection of pre-game social gatherings without masks while eating.
I wonder if some will be searching for off campus locations to tail gate within walking distance.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:50 am

I wonder if some will be searching for off campus locations to tail gate within walking distance.
Only good place I can think off is the old Varsity Theater parking lot. It can fit a few dozen cars/trucks. Dunno who owns it though.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:46 am
Only good place I can think off is the old Varsity Theater parking lot. It can fit a few dozen cars/trucks. Dunno who owns it though.
Yeh, not many options. And considering the demographics of the fan base (those that had the best season tickets) allowed to go to the games, there not likely to be much tailgating anywhere.

Sad we reached the point that only the rich stakeholders in our community can see live football. And among this group are the ones that could have solved the stadium problem. Never mind families from lower economic groups that could form the basis of future players.

At this point, I don’t give a crap ... the elite can have their sport. Kids that have football talent should focus on leaving anyways. That is what I would tell these families. Get your kids ready to leave. The rich people here don’t give a crap about you. They can enjoy their football. Take your kids elsewhere.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

deleted
Last edited by st808 on Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:28 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:46 am

Yeh, not many options. And considering the demographics of the fan base (those that had the best season tickets) allowed to go to the games, there not likely to be much tailgating anywhere.

Sad we reached the point that only the rich stakeholders in our community can see live football. And among this group are the ones that could have solved the stadium problem. Never mind families from lower economic groups that could form the basis of future players.

At this point, I don’t give a crap ... the elite can have their sport. Kids that have football talent should focus on leaving anyways. That is what I would tell these families. Get your kids ready to leave. The rich people here don’t give a crap about you. They can enjoy their football. Take your kids elsewhere.
i'm not rich. retired, fixed income, with just one of two discretionary enjoyable expenses: u.h. football home games. it's the one treat that my wife and i enjoy locally. since our one vegas trip a year is no longer something we do, it's u.h. football for us. sorry you feel that way. it's my understanding that the u.h. will expand ching field seating. maybe in a couple of years there will be enough seating to accommodate every fan.