What Do You See In The UCLA-UH Matchup?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

What Do You See In The UCLA-UH Matchup?

Post by sarvicdar »

❤️Hawaii opened as a 11 point underdog to 🐻UCLA that has quickly jumped to 17 points. UCLA will be a hard nut to crack. And I don't expect the Warriors to be singing and dancing 🎶to the nutcracker in their post game celebration. 🍀Not unless there's a super human effort at KR, PR, WR, SB, RB or at the wildcat in the form of CT and the defense forces UCLA into more punts per game than last season (where UCLA averaged only 3 punts per game).

Sure it's good to 🙈dream and wish an 🎂upset however this UCLA team will be Coach Graham's toughest opponent to date and the Warriors toughest opponent since the Washington game two seasons ago, where the team lost 52-20.

Against Washington the Warriors were totally outmatched talent and coaching wise. When you look at UCLA, ditto, the team is loaded with blue chips (rated 4 stars and above) at all the skill positions-WR(4), RB (2), QB, CB (2), PR and has HC Chip Kelly, formerly the HC of Oregon and the top architect of offenses in NCAA football.

Two seasons ago against Washington the Warriors were designated 21 point underdogs and Oddshark (known for its computer simulations) predicted a score of 43-19 in favor of the Huskies. Against UCLA, Oddsharks predicting a score of 23-20 in favor of UCLA with approximately 70 percent taking Hawaii and the 17 points.

In three prior head to head coaching matchups Kelly then coaching Oregon holds a 2-1 edge over Graham's ASU teams, winning 61-55 (2015), 54-35 (2016), and losing 37-35 (2017).

All I can hope for is that OS game simulation is right and the game is close, Hawaii stops the UCLA run (biggest key of the game), gets to the QB (UCLA OL allowed 12 sacks in 7 games last season), transitions key transfers on the Dline and other positions mightingly, wins the turnover battle and special teams play. And, of course, Graham's continues his winning trend against Kelly.🎯

This game I hope Hawaii surprises the Bruins 🐻 , like a Trojan Horse and UCLA chokes.

UCLA's lineup

LT-Sean Rhyan, 6'5, 318, 4 star
LG-Paul Grattan, 6'4, 300
C-Sam Marrazzo, 6'3, 300
RG-Duke Clemens, 6'3, 290
RT-Alec Anderson, 6',5, 300
TE-Greg Dulchich, 6'3, 245
QB-DORIAN THOMPSON-ROBINSON
6'1, 205, 4 star
RB-ZACH CHARBONNET
6'1, 220, 4 star
WR-Matt Sykes, 6'4, 200, 4 star
WR-Kyle Philips, 5'11, 190, 4 star
WR-Chase Cotta, 6'3, 205, 4 star

DE-Mitchell Agude, 6'4, 245
NT-Otito Ogbonnia, 6'4, 315
DT-Datona Jackson, 6'3, 275
Raid-Carl Jones, 6'0, 210
Will-Caleb Johnson, 6'1, 230
Mike-Bo Calvert, 6'4, 230, 4 star
Strik-QWUANTREZZ
KNIGHT, 6'0, 200
CB-MO OSLING III, 6'0, 195
SS-STEPHAN BLAYLOCK
5'10,190, 4 star
FS-Lake Quentin, 6'1, 205
CB-Jay Shaw, 5'11, 190, 4 star

PR/WR-Kyle Philips, 5'11, 190,
4 star, avg 13 yrds. punt return
DT-Tiaoalii Savea, 6'3, 260,4 star

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: What Do You See In The UCLA-UH Matchup?

Post by My3Cats »

UH will make a game of it in the first half, but UCLA's talent will pull away in the second half. But always get chance!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Uncle Creepy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Uncle Creepy »

[quote=sarvicdar post_id=615192 time=1628017126 user_id=6351]
In three prior head to head coaching matchups Kelly then coaching Oregon holds a 2-1 edge over Graham's ASU teams, winning 61-55 (2015), 54-35 (2016), and losing 37-35 (2017).
[/quote]

Chip is 1-0 vs. Graham's ASU team

2012: 43-21

Chip left for the NFL after the '12 season.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

All I know is that the rose bowl is super overrated and was probably the worst stadium experience I've ever had (and I've been to games at Reno and San Jose!). UH will lose beco that stadium is too damn hot and not fun to be in.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

What I see is that the Warriors will be entering the game with everything to gain and nothing to lose whereas the UCLA team will have all the pressure on them to win because they're from the PAC-12, elite school, the big city and their HC is on the coaching hot seat. If there's a team that has an edge in motivation it has to go to the small kids on the block that what to make a name for themselves, have all the belief in themselves, their coaches, and each other. The way I see it the cork on the bottle wants to explode. The players want to make a statement. From day one Coach Graham's influence has been rubbing off onto his assistants and players to the start of this season. It doesn't want to stop whatsoever, it wants to spread. Its like watching a Patton or Churchill leading his troops. The Warriors will enter this game with the added momentum, having beat Houston in the NM Bowl, holding the team to 58 yards rushing, giving up only 2 TD's, and playing well on a grass surface (same type of surface as UCLA's). It was a complete team win and hopefully it has snowball effect against the Bruins. Add in the fact that the Warriors secondary continues it's streak to 14 games of not allowing a QB to pass for 300 yards. Meantime UCLA was sulking at home and being the parody of it's hometown newspaper (especially the HC). Pressures on whom? I also like to see the progression of the Warriors TE, Laulu, and that of the transfer players on the D-line, ZM, OB, PT, TJ (if the UH D-line can rise, I definitely see UCLA's demise). I hope C can rebound from last season and find the magic on his long passes and feet and CT turns a Chad Owens like performance (with Graham taking over as the ST teams coach ( did I hear that right?) it might happen). Finally I like to see the team in green get all the good bounces and the team in blue spelled by a black cat. I think it can happen.

Note-to the reader with the edit on CK, thanks.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Whatever. I'm choosing the warriors. UCLA has NEVER impressed me and they have those blue chip players every year. They are the classic underachieving school and is not the dominant PAC team like UW or OU. In LA there is USC and then there is everyone else. UCLA is absolutely beatable. Chip is on the hot seat and he must win these games against "lesser" opponents. Hope our boys use that as game fuel. Go Bows.

BIK
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

UHALLDAWAY808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by UHALLDAWAY808 »

poidog wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:16 pm All I know is that the rose bowl is super overrated and was probably the worst stadium experience I've ever had (and I've been to games at Reno and San Jose!). UH will lose beco that stadium is too damn hot and not fun to be in.
Brah tell me about it! Never wanna go back again! Unless it’s the actual Rose Bowl game and Hawaii is playing LoL

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

They were talking about Chip Kelly and UCLA on KNBR, the sports station in the Bay Area and they said that this is the most talented team that Chip Kelly has had over his tenure there so it almost sounded like it's a do or die year for Chip to do well or lose his job.

I was following the UH Football website and it looks like they have Calvin Turner at every skilled position. His height seems to fluctuate between 6'0 from last years lineup to 5'11 on this years lineup to 6'1 when talking about him at the positions he's penciled in for like running back, wide receiver and PR.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

There seems to be a lot of talk about Brayden Schager. I'm hoping that UH chooses the best QB to win games.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/08/ ... a19dfe3524

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Looking at UCLA's OT-
Alec Anderson-#70
Sean Rhyan-#74

Here are their PB, RB grades

Anderson-PB(20) 77.4 (19) 77.7; (RB) 71.6 (20) 65.1 (19)
Rhyan-PB(20) 75.0 (19) 54.6; (RB) 71.2 (20) 59.5 (19)

What stands out in the stats (I have PFF premium sub)
is that Rhyan has allowed 38 hurries to the QB over
the last 2 seasons and both have allowed 1 QB sack each.

Looking at the G-

Grattan-#55 PB(20) 51.2 (19) NA; (RB)(20) 66.1 (19) NA
Clemens-#62 PB (20) 38.5 (19) 52.5;(RB)(20) 58.3 (19) 52.5

Looking at the C-

Marrazzo-#64 (PB)(20) 69.4 (19) 61.3; (RB)(20) 56.3 (19) 65.2

After taking a look at UCLA's O-line I can better understand
why oddsharks predicting a 23-20 score in favor of UCLA-
because how I see it UCLA's O-line is not the foundation of
their team. These grades/numbers are very mediocre. In fact grade
wise Houston's O-line was better. UH should be able to
fight back pretty well here, especially how both Graham
and DM (on Call the Coach Show dated 8/5) had a lot of
good things to say of newcomer DE O'Tay Baker,6-4, 250.
On the same show DM mentioned how versitle UH's defense
is with the ability to attack/blitz from any position on
the field. With the completition of the second scrimmage
this last Saturday (8/14) training camp is closed and for
the next two weeks leading up to the UCLA game the team will
focus on their opponent. The only news from Sunday's paper
is that KL is playing center, and QB BS has made huge strides
at picking up UH's offense.The rest of the news is pretty
much hush hush.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Taking a look at UCLA's practice reports off the LA Times it's pretty much hush hush. For the media over there are allowed only a short time of observations (similar to the media at UH practices). One would think they would keep their mouths shut. But no. From what I read the starting QB has been sidelined 8 days, returning recently and the staring center out since spring camp is still trying to regain his form. The contrast is that the Hawaii media has less loose lips. Whereas the LA media finds the need to report which players are sidelined, apart from the team on exercise bikes and absent from practice. Another bit of observation there were reports of the UCLA FG kickers 9-9 on kicks. The relevance here is that both sides are looking to scout each other from last year's games to recent reports by the each other media and other sources.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

This is really starting to look like a Todd Graham, Chip Kelly matchup. It's starting to get exciting.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/08/ ... a0514333c4

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

We have regularly played, competed with, and even beat PAC12 teams. And yes, we've been konked a few times also. I'm not a UCLA believer. I say we got good chance to beat them. Much bigger game for them than us. If they start their season losing to Hawaii, that might be curtains for Chip before the season even starts.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

If you're a UH fan you love reading bad news on the UCLA side. I read in the LA Times today that the teams WR, Hurts, has been suspended for sexual assault and Grattan, the starting OG's status is in limbo as he faces 3 charges for assaulting another patron at a bar. To top things off the buzz in LA is how both the USC and UCLA HC's are on the coaching hot seats adding to UCLA's pressure against Hawaii. As game day approaches I can hope there's more black clouds hovering over UCLA.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

2020 UCLA Bruins
Greg Dulcich #85
Sophomore TE
6-4 242

A player to watch on UCLA's side is the TE. Last season he averaged nearly 4 catches a game for an average catch of nearly 20 yards/5 TD on the season. That's huge. That's game changing. For UH the secondary has to contain #85.