Who Are Our Rivals?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Who Are Our Rivals?

Post by poidog »

poidog wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:10 pm Fresno St. - Two of the consistently better football programs in the conference since 1999 with a healthy rivalry between coaches (June Jones and Pat Hill) with a lot of competitive football games between the two. UH beat Fresno for the conference title in 1999. UH came back to beat them in 2001 while Fresno was ranked. Fresno came back to hang 70 on UH in 2004 to help ruin Timmy Chang's senior year. Since then the series has mellowed out a bit but UH seems to rise to the occasion against Fresno more often than not, sweeping 2001-2003, 2006-2008, 2010, and playing them close in Greg McMackin's last season and 2 of Norm Chow's terrible 4 seasons. Rolo went 1-3 vs Fresno and Graham's first win here was against them. It's a very even series that I enjoy because UH sometimes wins when they aren't supposed to (like in 2008 and 2016). Then there's that screwdriver incident... https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... trophy-yes
Add tonight's win to the list of times we've beaten a ranked Fresno St. team!

daddy
Starter
Starter
MLB: Kansas City Royals
NFL: Chiefs and any team w/CB

Post by daddy »

Maui Boy in Alaska wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:24 am Any sport will always be BYU. Amazing history from Volleyball, Baseball, Basketball, and Football. Most BYU fans won't see it this way as they have Utah, but talk with some of the older fans and you will find people that had a lot of respect for UH vs. BYU.

In football Fresno State, Air Force, Wyoming, and UNLV games have Trophies. I would also put USC on the list. UH has beaten most of the Pac 12 at some point. But the only school we have not is USC, and UH has played them many times in the past. UCLA as well, but I think we have only played them once before this year.
Yep. As a guy who grew up on the Islands in the late 70's through the 80's, the answer to this question to me will always be BYU. I don't care what their fans think or how rarely we may play them now.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

right now, i'd have to say our biggest baddest rival is: . . . governor ige.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

st808 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:13 pm right now, i'd have to say our biggest baddest rival is: . . . governor ige.
When the clown car pulls up and the door opens and all of the clowns pile out and they all look like David Ige then you know that we are F'd.
:tv:
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

If we are to go way back I would say Fresno St. But there was a time I thought it was UOP. Still to me I think if there is a rival Fresno St is it which made this game special. And to beat them with a freshman quarterback.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I pick (Wagner's) BYU game I & II for the same reasons you guys already mentioned.

Punahou's biggest rival was Roosevelt at one time. So depends on how old you are.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:34 pm
st808 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:13 pm right now, i'd have to say our biggest baddest rival is: . . . governor ige.
When the clown car pulls up and the door opens and all of the clowns pile out and they all look like David Ige then you know that we are F'd.
in an interview ige said he would not attend a football game at ching field if and when restrictions are lifted. he graciously said that he didn't want to take a seat away from a fan.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

st808 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:17 pm
in an interview ige said he would not attend a football game at ching field if and when restrictions are lifted. he graciously said that he didn't want to take a seat away from a fan.
I would guess that the boo birds chased him away.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

st808 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:17 pm
If he attended, he would either have to sit on the hard bench seating, or in the High Makamaka Suites up top makai side.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Yea...well, I remember every year of the Ariyoshi reign...and the retired Burns lived just across the street from my school. Hawaiian politics are provincial. There's a lot of good to say about that...however, provincial politics are by definition...unique. I can't make any political comment here anymore.

BYU and UNLV are...and have been...rivals because of the Polynesian composition. You do know we have a BYU-Hawaii campus, right? BYU has always had tons of Hawaiian players on their roster. I knew some of them over the years. Las Vegas is considered the 9th island, because so many Hawaiians live there. Away games there are loaded with expat Hawaiians cheering for the enemy. That is a rivalry.

Then there's the arrogance rivalries. BYU has always looked down their nose at us over the years, and yet we've bloodied that nose too many times in recent years to care. Boise St., on the other hand, continues to consider itself above us at all times. That game where Cole had a forward pass tipped...and the Broncos recovered it as a fumble...was just nuts. The 'fumble recover-er' ate Skittles on the sideline like he had just captured the rainbow. He didn't. He was aided and abetted by the referees. Boise State ain't no Cinderella...Hawaii is.