What's Your Wish List For The OL?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

First thought, I like the Coach Bear Bryant ideology-"I don't care what the players did in the past, what awards they have won, or who their mama and papa are ... I want the best players to play. I think the NE HC is in the same mold , which I believe Coach Graham is a student of. With that said I want the best players on Hawaii's OL. Who doesn't? With Pryor moving to RG (he played the guard position in JC), I see him as a better fit, more of a run blocker/bulldozer and imo his natural position which will allow Manning to replace him and get in at RT. This I see as maximizing the best players playing instead of Pryor and Manning fighting for RT spot (which I believe PFF graded Pryor last season at a near 70(acculmative), which I believe was the highest among the OL).

I like Levao to enter the season in shape. The times I watched him in the past. He will sizzle and then fizzle because of a lack of endurance and stamina. He needs to focus. Get real. Get in shape. And be a leader out there. There's a lot of untapped talent here. If he has a huge year Hawaii OL will turn some heads.

Tanuvasa I believe will be a big surprise. He's a fighter. A leader, where imo he will shake the trees next to him to play better. He will scream and yell out assignments (you will see).

I like this look with a TE ( a big TE), with the added muscle it should open up the run game and prevent opposing defenses cheating on the passing game, especially the long passes. In other words if the OL can find that chemistry, punch and jab with the short runs ( which I think Pryor replacing Vaipulu is a better fit), it will open up Hawaii's offense with play action, throws to the TE, and designed runs by the QB.

Vanterpool and Manning at the tackles. There's good size, agility, athleticism, and ability, here, in both players. There's an eagerness and fight in each to get better. They just have to take it to the next level. If you have seen Vanterpool at practices he is one of the hardest workers out there. He's also my choice as one of the team captains.

Overall I see PFF's grading of UH's offensive linemen between 60-70 (last season). To be in that elite group this season all the OL have to improve into the 70's and 80's. It's time they all trade in their purple and brown belts for black.

Hawaii can have a good year, prove the critics off (I might be one) but it will definitely have to start with the OL.

The UCLA game I can't wait to see.

RT-Micah Vanterpool
Ht./Wt.:6-6 / 300

LG-Kohl Levao
Ht./Wt.:6-6 / 350

C-Eliki Tanuvasa
Ht./Wt.:6-2 / 320

RG-Gene Pryor
Ht./Wt.: 6-3 / 310

RT-Ilm Manning
Ht./Wt.:6-4 / 280

TE-Jonah Laulu
Ht./Wt.:6-6/280

Top Reserves-

Mose, Arasi
Ht./Wt.:6-6 / 280

Vaipulu, Solo
Ht./Wt.:6-2 / 300

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: What's Your Wish List For The OL?

Post by kapakahi »

sarvicdar wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:58 am LT-Micah Vanterpool
Ht./Wt.:6-6 / 300

LG-Kohl Levao
Ht./Wt.:6-6 / 350

C-Eliki Tanuvasa
Ht./Wt.:6-2 / 320

RG-Gene Pryor
Ht./Wt.: 6-3 / 310

RT-Ilm Manning
Ht./Wt.:6-4 / 280
Since Levao missed Spring Ball (while recovering from his 2020 injuries), figuring that the starting OL (barring injury) for Game 1 (against UCLA at Rose Bowl) will look like this:

LT Ilm Manning
LG Micah Vanterpool
C Eliki Tanuvasa
RG Solo Vaipulu
RT Gene Pryor

My true wishlist for the OL is for UH to pick-up another 2021 OL commit (preferably an OT) in addition to the 2 new OL (Adams & Hopp) since lost 7 OL (Eletise, Hilborn, Moore, Nu'uanu-Kuhi'iki, Sunia, Tuulima, Wa'a) from the 2020 squad.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

kapakahi wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:22 am
Since Levao missed Spring Ball (while recovering from his 2020 injuries), figuring that the starting OL (barring injury) for Game 1 (against UCLA at Rose Bowl) will look like this:

LT Ilm Manning
LG Micah Vanterpool
C Eliki Tanuvasa
RG Solo Vaipulu
RT Gene Pryor

My true wishlist for the OL is for UH to pick-up another 2021 OL commit (preferably an OT) in addition to the 2 new OL (Adams & Hopp) since lost 7 OL (Eletise, Hilborn, Moore, Nu'uanu-Kuhi'iki, Sunia, Tuulima, Wa'a) from the 2020 squad.
That's the starting OL right now. Prime backups are Maurice Taala (C), Sergio Muasau (G/C) and Micah Soliai Howlett (G/T). It would be really good to get another OT, preferably a portal transfer with multiple years of eligibility.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

How come redshirt junior RA Elkington cannot crack the 1-2's? Also, I like both Ta'ala and Muasau as interior guards. I'm sure they are strong as hell, but their heights concern me.

BIK
Friendship is Essential to the Soul