Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

2021 Hawai‘i Bowl Returns This Christmas Eve

Post by Scott »

HONOLULU – The 19th annual Hawai‘i Bowl returns this Christmas Eve and will be played at the brand-new Clarence T.C. Ching Athletics Complex on the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa campus .

This year’s contest will pit the Mountain West versus the American Athletic Conference. Kick-off time is 8 p.m. ET (3 p.m. HT) on ESPN.

“We look forward to the 2021 Hawaiʻi Bowl and the opportunities the Clarence T.C. Ching Athletics Complex will provide our fans to continue their holiday tradition of cheering for their favorite teams in person,” executive director Daryl Garvin said.

The Ching Athletics Complex will serve as the temporary home of the Hawai‘i Bowl while the New Aloha Stadium Entertainment District is completed. The Hawai‘i Bowl was held at Aloha Stadium every year from 2002-2019. The new stadium is projected to open in 2024.

The University of Hawai‘i won the last Hawai‘i Bowl played in 2019 with a thrilling 38-34 victory that featured a high-scoring first half with 55 combined points.

A Mountain West team has played in the Hawai‘i Bowl every year since 2012. The American will send a representative for the third time in Hawai‘i Bowl history.

The Hawai‘i Bowl is known for its high scoring, thrilling offenses, and close games with two overtime contests and seven games decided by one touchdown or less. In addition to promoting the island way of life by sponsoring events intrinsic to Hawai‘i, the bowl supports many non-profit organizations through the Hawai‘i Bowl Foundation. More than $1 million has been awarded to local charities since the inception of the Hawai‘i Bowl Foundation.

The bowl game was created in 2002 after the hometown Rainbow Warriors finished the 2001 season with a 9-3 record and was not invited to a bowl game. UH has participated in the bowl a record nine times.

The 2020 game was canceled due to the pandemic.

Derek Inouchi
Hawai‘i Bowl Media Contact
c/o Univ. of Hawai‘i Athletics Department
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Re: 2021 Hawai‘i Bowl Returns This Christmas Eve

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Might as well play game at Kam or the Lou...same level amenities.

UH needs to built an on campus stadium for 25k ppl, so they control their own destiny.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

This works great for television, ESPN will finally have a full stadium so they don’t have to tilt the cameras away from the stands. And they can run the back story on the end of Aloha Stadium —- that’s a lot of b-roll on history. This is a slam dunk for ESPN.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

UnBiasFan wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:37 pm This works great for television, ESPN will finally have a full stadium so they don’t have to tilt the cameras away from the stands. And they can run the back story on the end of Aloha Stadium —- that’s a lot of b-roll on history. This is a slam dunk for ESPN.
Live from Gov Ige's backyard, it's the Hawaii Bowl. Definitely $hitty reflection on the school, state and politicians.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:36 pm
UnBiasFan wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:37 pm This works great for television, ESPN will finally have a full stadium so they don’t have to tilt the cameras away from the stands. And they can run the back story on the end of Aloha Stadium —- that’s a lot of b-roll on history. This is a slam dunk for ESPN.
Live from Gov Ige's backyard, it's the Hawaii Bowl. Definitely $hitty reflection on the school, state and politicians.
I don’t think it would be a bad idea to generate a lot of negative buzz to pee on their parade. How else do we hold government accountable?

So yeh, they will spin it all positive. But if the fans want to let the government know that there zero excuses to having a D1 program in front of 9,000 fans have at it. There really is no excuse for their incompetence. We always get second rate and years late. And they spend big amounts of our bucks doing it. We put up with total craap from our government. Someone here is welcome to prove to me that the stadium problems were a surprise. Or that we deserve to be treated like this. They took these jobs. Other more competent people could step up. They are welcome to go home.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

UnBiasFan wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:40 pm
I don’t think it would be a bad idea to generate a lot of negative buzz to pee on their parade. How else do we hold government accountable?

So yeh, they will spin it all positive. But if the fans want to let the government know that there zero excuses to having a D1 program in front of 9,000 fans have at it. There really is no excuse for their incompetence. We always get second rate and years late. And they spend big amounts of our bucks doing it. We put up with total craap from our government. Someone here is welcome to prove to me that the stadium problems were a surprise. Or that we deserve to be treated like this. They took these jobs. Other more competent people could step up. They are welcome to go home.
Right. I don't think the football locker room renovations amongst other renovations in the lower campus happen if Colt doesn't make the "soap" comment. Bad publicity sometimes brings forth results. So lets hope whatever shame comes from this whole stadium situation helps greases the gears more and lights some okoles on the New Aloha Stadium situation.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

EITSwarrior wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:38 am
UnBiasFan wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:40 pm

Right. I don't think the football locker room renovations amongst other renovations in the lower campus happen if Colt doesn't make the "soap" comment. Bad publicity sometimes brings forth results. So lets hope whatever shame comes from this whole stadium situation helps greases the gears more and lights some okoles on the New Aloha Stadium situation.
whatever shame???? The shame has already been announced on national TV. Hawaii is already a laughing stock. Fans are laughing, coaches are laughing, the MWC is laughing, opposing players are laughing and recruits are laughing. The only person who is holding this thing together is Graham. Eventually Graham will end up leaving for the same reasons Jones left. Promises made and not kept. No financial support from the State.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

At least the brand new turf will look nice on national TV.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

My3Cats wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:21 am At least the brand new turf will look nice on national TV.
We should have gone with Safety Green turf. And have a Jersey update. Then when we have a Green out we could look like a bunch of roofing contractors.

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

They should’ve move the Hawaii bowl to Maui. More seats and make it a true bowl experience. So embarrassing.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

couz808 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:25 pm They should’ve move the Hawaii bowl to Maui. More seats and make it a true bowl experience. So embarrassing.
why is it embarrassing? the new mexico bowl we played in was in a rinky-dink stadium and no one cared. I find it odd that so many "fans" are continuously looking for things to be embarrassed about and somehow think that people outside the state care all that much whether the Hawaii Bowl is played in a 9k seat on-campus temporary stadium vs a 23k stadium on another island. I'm telling you: those that think that we are "small-time" with a 9k stadium will still think we are small-time with a 23k stadium, just as they do when we play in a 50k stadium that's barely 25% full. It's time we break out of this self-imposed culture of shame.

Having the Hawaii Bowl on campus allows UH to charge rent and fees to the bowl game. This is a great financial opportunity - far greater than any self-imposed shame. The path for the next few seasons has been set and we are playing on campus whether folks like it or not, so any opportunity to benefit from having an on-campus stadium needs to be taken advantage of.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

It isn't about playing in a small stadium. And New Mexico Bowl is the New Mexico Bowl that is on us that is on New Mexico.

What is embarrassing and a joke is how we got to the situation of having to play the Hawaii Bowl at Ching. It is about how incompetent the State is. Didn't plan a stadium transition well, didn't maintain Aloha in the mean time, the Stadium Authority cried wolf playing politics to get themselves paid,money being wasted that is what is a joke. A fund raiser to refit Ching that drew less then 500 donors that is a joke. No vision! No leadership! Embarrasment,YES!

Is this about playing in a small stadium? NO!

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

one more thing. Having a discussion about all the stadium problems and why the Hawaii bowl is being played at Ching will surely be discussed pregame and during the game on national TV. Yeah it will be great to let recruits and their families hear about our problems just before recruits make a decision. No home. No vision. No leadership.It's a good thing we have Graham his reputation and his connections. Other coaches and his network believes and likes him.