What Have We Learned About UH Football-2021 Spring Report?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Aside from the team starting the first of 15 practices on March 25th, concluding with the spring game on April 23 (?), sandwiched in between was a brief spell of the team being under quarantine and a few players joining the team, there's very little other news about the team.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this sandwich needs to be filled with more lettuce, like let us (me) know more about what's going on with the team.

I've searched UH athletic site, student paper, Advertiser premium content, blogs, Tsai's site, BC, local sports stations, and the web and found nothing.

And out from under a rock, lo and behold, Tsai wrote an article today, which left me surprised but more confused. I can't tell if that article was a post spring report or if the team still has more practice dates. As a reader I wish I could connect the dots. Yet for what ever it's worth Tsai writes that Graham see football as MMA fight, chess match, rat-tat-tat (we need to play to our opponents), that the team has completed a 10 week conditioning program, and that the coaching staff has to create mismatches for playmaker Calvin, and that ET is doing well at center. Bravo, I learned nothing.

I feel that there could be more news about the team. I understand the safety issues, however having some observers and media at practices, and further distanced from the field and players shouldn't be a liability to the the teams well being.

I take issue at the short end of the stick and feel I'm deprived of following my team. For I've read more on WSU and Rolo(that was good reading content) than on the Warriors. It shouldn't be that way. Isn't there
a Covid-19 in Washington, too?

For one would think, as the program has recently started a fundraiser for the football program (field) there would be a lot of spotlight on spring football. There would lots of in ink and an induced spirit, where fans would open their wallets and purses more. But no. For this spring I hear, see, very little of reading the Warriors this year and can only reminience to the good old days when Jones had his practices open (that was memorable) and there would be a lot of news to read.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: What Have We Learned About UH Football-2021 Spring Report?

Post by poidog »

I think its at least partially due to the cuts made in the sports departments by the local paper and by some of the news stations. the current state of local sports media is pretty sad. The rest is the athletics dept having to adhere to the university's covid policies. I hope things return to something closer to normal soon.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Campus is closed to visitors. So you're not going to get much news from UH.
ImageImage

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

I just read the Reno newspaper and came away impressed with the reporting. In the article I read about the HC's preview of his teams spring game this Saturday, which is a sellout. I read that his first team is challenging the backups and are giving 21 points with the emphasis being on situational drills. The HC spoke of key players that will be kept out of the game (QB, WR), and which of his units needs to step it up this season (DL pass rush). It's not a lot. But at least the HC acknowledge that a game will be played, and that the fans whom have not seen the team in person for 18 months will be rewarded. The HC goes on to say that his team also overcame some Covid issues. At least I can connect the dots and get a sense of what's going on. I can't say that about reading Tsai's article (I'm sorry).

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I never got much out of Tsai's report on what was going on but I did glean a lot from uhwarriors report in the past and I believe he's not able to attend. What I can gather from the news articles is that they will be running a lot more and that the offense is in condition to run hurry up or two second drill the entire game. But I suspect that the hurry up will be situational. Hopefully, this means minimization of illegal procedure/offsides, something they've been plagued with for a long time.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/report ... eam-on-nsn

Where the Warriors are running incognito other teams, like Nevada, are thinking out of the box. I wrote once that the Warriors should look at airing their spring game and maybe garner some limelight, PR, rapport with the fans, students, alumni and recruits but ... no. Instead UH fans have very little to see and hear of the Warriors this spring. IDK what's going on. I know very little of the team and ponder if the team is under Covid restraints or speculate if Graham is playing his cards close to his vest. I wish I knew what's going on.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

If Graham wanted the public to know a lot about the team, they would. He's probably more concerned about getting the offense and defense more organized since this is his first spring practice and a lot probably wasn't done due to covid.
ImageImage