could u.h. tie in donations to prioritize season ticket sales at ching field?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

could u.h. tie in donations to prioritize season ticket sales at ching field?

Post by st808 »

wonder if the u.h. thought about prioritizing season ticket sales at the ching field stadium to those who donate to the building fund for the ching stadium.

would that increase donations? would that be a good thing?

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: could u.h. tie in donations to prioritize season ticket sales at ching field?

Post by ubercow »

interesting concept that I feel would bring in more (and larger) donations depending on how they set the rules, especially with _very_ limited seating early on.

it sounds as if it could be questionable legally by law and/or ncaa rules tho.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: could u.h. tie in donations to prioritize season ticket sales at ching field?

Post by shrek2 »

It takes a lot of money to run a D1 program. My take on this is to give students/faculty a crack at lower price tickets. Then the locals, ie, those that been there at least a year given priority. Then unfortunately, charge a larger amount than the local Warrior fans for the malahinis (or opponent's fans). The ticket prices would have to be higher because its a lot less than Aloha could hold and 15,000 is barely the number allowed to keep the D1 program going (it takes a sellout every game). Allow for a second seating of fans at Aloha Stadium ground (with the approval of Spectrum) where multiple widescreens are set up maybe with more clarity than the Waikiki theatre they used to have near the wall and people sit on their towels or blankets or what ever and are charged a nominal fee. Just my thoughts. BTW, lucky this is not a pro team since the 49ers charged $22K-$88K per seat for the rights to sit at Levy's.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:46 pm It takes a lot of money to run a D1 program. My take on this is to give students/faculty a crack at lower price tickets. Then the locals, ie, those that been there at least a year given priority. Then unfortunately, charge a larger amount than the local Warrior fans for the malahinis (or opponent's fans). The ticket prices would have to be higher because its a lot less than Aloha could hold and 15,000 is barely the number allowed to keep the D1 program going (it takes a sellout every game). Allow for a second seating of fans at Aloha Stadium ground (with the approval of Spectrum) where multiple widescreens are set up maybe with more clarity than the Waikiki theatre they used to have near the wall and people sit on their towels or blankets or what ever and are charged a nominal fee. Just my thoughts. BTW, lucky this is not a pro team since the 49ers charged $22K-$88K per seat for the rights to sit at Levy's.
If you are referring to UH students, their activity fees would already allow them free entry, as it was at Aloha Stadium. The only restriction would be how many seats allotted to UH students, provided the State allows in-person attendance, and how many seats are available overall.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

and how do you accomodate the season ticket holders? There are more season ticket holders then the 15K projected seats at Ching. They are the fans that carried this program throughout the years.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:21 pm
shrek2 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:46 pm It takes a lot of money to run a D1 program. My take on this is to give students/faculty a crack at lower price tickets. Then the locals, ie, those that been there at least a year given priority. Then unfortunately, charge a larger amount than the local Warrior fans for the malahinis (or opponent's fans). The ticket prices would have to be higher because its a lot less than Aloha could hold and 15,000 is barely the number allowed to keep the D1 program going (it takes a sellout every game). Allow for a second seating of fans at Aloha Stadium ground (with the approval of Spectrum) where multiple widescreens are set up maybe with more clarity than the Waikiki theatre they used to have near the wall and people sit on their towels or blankets or what ever and are charged a nominal fee. Just my thoughts. BTW, lucky this is not a pro team since the 49ers charged $22K-$88K per seat for the rights to sit at Levy's.
If you are referring to UH students, their activity fees would already allow them free entry, as it was at Aloha Stadium. The only restriction would be how many seats allotted to UH students, provided the State allows in-person attendance, and how many seats are available overall.
I think in this case football tickets for students/faculty have to be handled differently with the exception of football scholar athletes given priority on sales so they're families can watch. All other sports like volleyball and basketball, the same. And Duke is probably right, season ticket holders should be given priority over student/faculty. This is all blue skying but I don't think you can really tie in donations to who gets tickets. The other thing about this is travel sponsors with roots on the mainland can donate a lot of money through their local staff so that they can have packages to offer to MWC fans.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

bottom line is that there aren't enough seats to accomodate everyone for on-campus football. a compromise might be to guarantee current season ticket holders first opportunity to buy seats at the new aloha stadium, but with no guarantee to get seats for on-campus football. I'm a season ticket holder and i've already come to terms with this. getting students to attend the games is the most important thing. it would create the best home field advantage and help create a new generation of fans. if things get back to normal in a few years, that's good enough for me.

they should also show the game on the big screens in the SSC and charge a couple bucks for people who want to watch with other fans and have some kind of gameday experience but can't get tickets to the stadium. make it cheap and open the concessions. get creative with it...

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

The recipe for gaining a lot of fan interest is still bad. Let’s take the average person who is mildly interested in UH football. They are not going to have PPV. So they aren’t going to really follow the team because they can’t easily watch the team. And they aren’t going to join a group of friends tailgating because there will be no tailgating. On the plus side, there will be a scarcity of seats and we will be coming off a pandemic. So, there will be a perceived demand for the sport. But bottom line, we will be at an all time low in fan interest for the next few years because the leadership in our state is grossly incompetent. Major D-1 programs don’t wait for a stadium to be condemned before breaking ground on the new one. And then have cost prohibitive television programming that leads to the permanent loss of fan interest. Sorry to sound grim, but this program will remain in the cellar when it comes to fan support. And all they got is excuses. How about objectively looking at outcomes as a measure of success. Our raw numbers of fan support are in the toilet.