UH Will Play at Ching Field - But No Fans For Now, Band Now Allowed

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
User avatar
uhwarriors
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10688
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1415770645238013963

User avatar
shrek2
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2729
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:53 pm
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers
Location: Mainland

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by shrek2 »

I think the new stadium compares favorably in aesthetics to the rest of the MWC stadiums. Forget the size.


Link

rodfather
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1723
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:18 pm

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by rodfather »

Can someone answer this question? When was the last time UH had an actual on campus game? I have met guys who played at old Honolulu Stadium aka the termite palace but despite the proximity to campus to me that doesn’t count.
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3987
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:21 pm
Location: Aiea, Hawaii

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by Duster »

rodfather wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:44 am Can someone answer this question? When was the last time UH had an actual on campus game? I have met guys who played at old Honolulu Stadium aka the termite palace but despite the proximity to campus to me that doesn’t count.
I could not resist but to check this out.

UH probably did not play on campus - ever.

There is a Honolulu Advertiser article from 8/26/2009 which indicates that the football team's home field was initially Alexander Field at Punahou, then Honolulu Stadium, then Aloha Stadium.

UH historical information is generally kinda spotty to me. The UH Athletics website has a page on "Traditions" which states that the nickname was Fighting Deans until 1923 (i.e., the occurrence of the rainbow in the game against Oregon State): https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/2012 ... 20234.aspx

Yet, the Ka Leo still referred to them as the Dean as late as 1933: file:///C:/Users/DKim/Downloads/vol12-no03.pdf. The Honolulu Stadium opened in 1926, so the Trasditions page is probably accurate in stating that the 1923 "rainbow game" was at Moiliili Field.

Anyway, the 12/25/1926 Ka Leo is has interesting articles/information for history buffs, with an article on the Fighting Deans conversion to playing mainland colleges in 1920, success thereafter under Otto Klum, having Knute Rockne referee UH's game against the Utah Redskins (now the Utes) at the newly opened Honolulu Stadium and scheduled to referee UH's upcoming game against South Dakota State (whose entire roster was under 200 lbs.), etc. It's here: https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/b ... 5-no13.pdf

I'd say Alexander Field or Moiliili Field, to Honolulu Stadium in 1926, then Aloha Stadium in 1975, then Clarence T.C. Ching Field in 2021.

rodfather
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1723
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:18 pm

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by rodfather »

Thanks. I often wondered what it was like in the pre-Honolulu stadium days. I was born a few years after Aloha stadium was built. I always assumed that the famous rainbow game happened on campus.
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 19570
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:54 pm
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills
Location: Oklahoma City via Casper, WYO
Contact:

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by wyokie »

rodfather wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:58 pm Thanks. I often wondered what it was like in the pre-Honolulu stadium days. I was born a few years after Aloha stadium was built. I always assumed that the famous rainbow game happened on campus.
LOL I was born a year before Aloha Stadium opened. If you really wanted to be technical, I was born a year and a half before Aloha opened. LOL

I remember reading some of the UH media guides about UH having Fighting Deans as a nickname during the 1920s. Never liked that nickname. Rainbow Warriors is far better. :D

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3987
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:21 pm
Location: Aiea, Hawaii

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by Duster »

wyokie wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:24 pm
rodfather wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:58 pm Thanks. I often wondered what it was like in the pre-Honolulu stadium days. I was born a few years after Aloha stadium was built. I always assumed that the famous rainbow game happened on campus.
LOL I was born a year before Aloha Stadium opened. If you really wanted to be technical, I was born a year and a half before Aloha opened. LOL

I remember reading some of the UH media guides about UH having Fighting Deans as a nickname during the 1920s. Never liked that nickname. Rainbow Warriors is far better. :D
I like (or perhaps appreciate) unique nicknames. Locally, I like Seariders, Surfriders, Na Ali`i, Marauders, Ka Makani, Roughriders, Governors, Monarchs, etc. Too many Bulldogs - how about Mastiffs, Tosas, Rottweilers, Pit Bulls. Fighting Deans is unique - which I like, but what do they fight about, their department budgets and funding?

How will people refer to the field? "The Clarence" like the way people call LMS "The Les" and SSC "The Stanley"? Warrior's Lair (likely copyrighted)?

User avatar
uhwarriors
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10688
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiAthletics/status/1417650535218380800

User avatar
uhwarriors
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10688
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1418413058192338946

User avatar
shrek2
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2729
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:53 pm
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers
Location: Mainland

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by shrek2 »

From the latest videos of the complex, it looks like the stands at the end zone is too close to the end of the end zone. People can get hurt both in the stands and on the field with long passes. This makes the Lambeau leap possible whether people want it or not for both teams.

User avatar
uhwarriors
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10688
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by uhwarriors »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:58 am From the latest videos of the complex, it looks like the stands at the end zone is too close to the end of the end zone. People can get hurt both in the stands and on the field with long passes. This makes the Lambeau leap possible whether people want it or not for both teams.
It's close, but it's the same as the corners of the end zones to the wall at Aloha Stadium. It's about 5 yards from the endzone to the stands/wall which is probably the minimum allowed. The thing is that at Ching Field it's for the whole endzone as opposed to Aloha Stadium which is only at the corners of the endzone.

User avatar
shrek2
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2729
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:53 pm
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers
Location: Mainland

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by shrek2 »

uhwarriors wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:30 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:58 am From the latest videos of the complex, it looks like the stands at the end zone is too close to the end of the end zone. People can get hurt both in the stands and on the field with long passes. This makes the Lambeau leap possible whether people want it or not for both teams.
It's close, but it's the same as the corners of the end zones to the wall at Aloha Stadium. It's about 5 yards from the endzone to the stands/wall which is probably the minimum allowed. The thing is that at Ching Field it's for the whole endzone as opposed to Aloha Stadium which is only at the corners of the endzone.
The difference between Aloha and Ching Field is that there is padded walls to keep the players in the field of play. This started me thinking and that is there are no barriers to prevent the players from getting into the stands. Given that Hawaii fans are much better fans that some of the mainland counterparts, there still is an easier opportunity for altercations to occur easily without the barriers. Still, I think that this is a great job done in a really short period of time to keep the spirit of Hawaii alive. Go Bows.

User avatar
uhwarriors
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10688
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by uhwarriors »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:44 am
uhwarriors wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:30 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:58 am From the latest videos of the complex, it looks like the stands at the end zone is too close to the end of the end zone. People can get hurt both in the stands and on the field with long passes. This makes the Lambeau leap possible whether people want it or not for both teams.
It's close, but it's the same as the corners of the end zones to the wall at Aloha Stadium. It's about 5 yards from the endzone to the stands/wall which is probably the minimum allowed. The thing is that at Ching Field it's for the whole endzone as opposed to Aloha Stadium which is only at the corners of the endzone.
The difference between Aloha and Ching Field is that there is padded walls to keep the players in the field of play. This started me thinking and that is there are no barriers to prevent the players from getting into the stands. Given that Hawaii fans are much better fans that some of the mainland counterparts, there still is an easier opportunity for altercations to occur easily without the barriers. Still, I think that this is a great job done in a really short period of time to keep the spirit of Hawaii alive. Go Bows.
Good point on the padded walls at Aloha Stadium. The Diamond Head endzone bleachers at Ching Field are raised and has a wall built in at the ground level which could be padded. The Ewa endzone bleachers are the old Makai sideline bleachers and are at ground level. I'm not sure what can be done with those. There's still a lot more to be done, so we'll see what the plans are to protect the players and fans. My guess is that they haven't not thought about it.

User avatar
uhwarriors
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10688
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiAthletics/status/1420172149290160130

User avatar
FatJeff
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:24 pm

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field

Post by FatJeff »

Just got off the phone with the ticket office. Got my seats with a small chance of getting one more (if seats are available after previous season ticket holders have all been called). I'm at the Starter level with many years of tickets purchased. Hope everyone waiting gets the call.

Post Reply