UH Will Play at Ching Field - 100% Capacity Being Allowed

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: UH football games at Ching field?

Post by My3Cats »

Like Senator Dela Cruz, I too like pork products: kau yuk, bacon, kau yuk with taro, rafute (shoyu pork), manapua, bacon, pork chops with mushroom gravy, Szechuan style mapo tofu and spicy eggplant, both with pork, bacon, char siu, sweet sour pork, roast pork with gravy, Spam, bacon. Did I already mention bacon?

Donovan brings home da bacon (and Spam)!
:sign4:
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Has any construction started at the Ching complex?
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

bigislandkurt wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:25 am Has any construction started at the Ching complex?
one news article stated that the bleachers on the makai side of the field had been moved to the ewa side behind the goal post. that frees up the makai side for new bleachers.

maybe someone who lives nearby can take a quick drive into the parking lot and take some photos to show the progress.

HawaiiToNIU
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HawaiiToNIU »

Can't they just play at Kamehameha high Scholl's stadium? That place is cherrrry.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

HawaiiToNIU wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:37 am Can't they just play at Kamehameha high Scholl's stadium? That place is cherrrry.
Seating at Kunuiakea Stadium is 3,000. Nice field and spectacular view, but limited capacity for expansion, not to mention a total lack of parking. Plus UH does not own this facility and cannot expand it. Clarence TC Ching Field seated about 4,000 prior to the planned renovations and upgrades. I am expecting that UH will be playing here for four to ten years and beyond with the way that the State is moving, or not moving, on NASED. Plans that I last heard a few weeks ago was that they are planning on having about 8,000 seats in place for the 2021 season, with expansions continuing into the near future.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Playing on campus will be a total blessing in disguise. I like it.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

HawaiiToNIU
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HawaiiToNIU »

My3Cats wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:22 am
HawaiiToNIU wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:37 am Can't they just play at Kamehameha high Scholl's stadium? That place is cherrrry.
Seating at Kunuiakea Stadium is 3,000. Nice field and spectacular view, but limited capacity for expansion, not to mention a total lack of parking. Plus UH does not own this facility and cannot expand it. Clarence TC Ching Field seated about 4,000 prior to the planned renovations and upgrades. I am expecting that UH will be playing here for four to ten years and beyond with the way that the State is moving, or not moving, on NASED. Plans that I last heard a few weeks ago was that they are planning on having about 8,000 seats in place for the 2021 season, with expansions continuing into the near future.
That is to this day, the most beautiful stadium I've ever gotten to play in. I've played in some decent ones in Illinois and even seen some of the marvels in Texas. I don't believe anything could beat that stadium, however I've heard Waianae has a picturesque stadium too.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

HawaiiToNIU wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:52 pm
My3Cats wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:22 am
That is to this day, the most beautiful stadium I've ever gotten to play in. I've played in some decent ones in Illinois and even seen some of the marvels in Texas. I don't believe anything could beat that stadium, however I've heard Waianae has a picturesque stadium too.
Lahainaluna’s stadium is the best in the state

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Renderings of Ching Field.
Star Advertiser wrote:The University of Hawaii football team’s home for the next few years now can be visualized.

UH officials today released renderings of the retrofitted Clarence T.C. Ching Athletic Complex that will be used for the Rainbow Warriors’ six home games this coming season.

The photo-quality drawings show overhead views of the length and width of the playing field. There also is a shot of the portable stands on the makai side that were prefabricated on the mainland.

The facility will be able to seat up 9,000 fans.

UH was forced to relocate its home games from 46-year-old Aloha Stadium. Officials of the Halawa facility said spectators could no longer attend events there because of safety issues of the structure.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/05/ ... all-games/

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

^^^Nice to see some renderings. Pretty much what I expected given the short time frame before the season.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

EITSwarrior wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:06 pm ^^^Nice to see some renderings. Pretty much what I expected given the short time frame before the season.
I would add a ladder section in the corner. Like at the chicken fights. Standing room only section but we get to bring ladders.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

from the look of the renderings, can probably get a reasonable view from the top floor of the parking structure.

also some higher resolution renders from the uhfoundation donation website:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

UH said they "hope to receive zoning approval to expand seating capacity to 15,000 next year." I am curious on how they will find the space to add in 6,000 more seats.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

i was hoping for more, to be honest. the sight lines in the bleachers are going to be bad, but I guess its the best we can expect in year 1. the hottest tickets will be for the parking structure, where you can tailgate AND watch the game at the same time, if you score good parking. the plan to turn the coaches' offices into luxury suites on game day is cool if they decide to do it. things will be interesting, if nothing else. My hope is that by year 3 they have a solid 15k stadium that is a permanent structure.

I've accepted that I will probably watch the games on tv this year... but if they decide to show the game on the jumbotron (is it still called that?) in the arena for a reasonable price, i would be down to do that.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:40 am UH said they "hope to receive zoning approval to expand seating capacity to 15,000 next year." I am curious on how they will find the space to add in 6,000 more seats.
I'm curious, and was wondering about that too. Maybe it would include the relocation of the sand volleyball tournament courts with new bleacher seating, and the sand practice courts behind the new makai bleachers with basically a second deck to fill in that space.