Jonah La'ulu: Should He Be Moved To TE?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

What's La'ulu's light at the end of tunnel at Hawaii?

After the UNLV game I noted that La'ulu was in on 73 snaps or so against UNLV, which was a career high, and to my eyes he looked like he was catching his groove at DE. Better yet he looked happy and had a pep in his step. I could see that. He showed a lot of hussle and energy. I was excited for him. That game may have been his turning point. Yet when I saw La'ulu lined up at TE in the New Mexico Bowl, I said wow. This is Hawaii's ticket to chasing a championship imo. You could see that he has what it takes to block, catch passes, and learn the plays. He's far from being polished. Yet you can sense he has tons of potential.

At 6-6, 280, La'ulu, looks athletic. And better yet he can be the missing piece in Graham's puzzle imo.

Before going on this is not hyperbole. Or an exaggeration. I did some research and looked at La'ulu's HUDL tapes from the Boise camp. I was impressed. He lined up at TE. And absolutely killed it. He showed great blocking and pass catching, and would motion to the slot on some plays. Unlike some TE that are big and fill a void, La'ulu to my eyes shows a lot of mobility and better yet potential. I say if he test well, in the 40, vertical, agility at the teams yearly combine it should be a easy layup as to which side La'ulu should play .For these reasons I say Graham should move La'ulu to TE.

What do you folks think?

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Jonah La'ulu: Should He Be Moved To TE?

Post by TheDuke »

we need a rush end and we need a TE. He has the physical tools to play both. He played defense and offense in HS and he also played basketball and track. He can run and he can catch. If he has aspirations to play at the next level TE is his ticket. There is a premium on TEs. I don't think he is fast enough to be a DE at the next level. With his size he will create a lot of mismatches in the MWC. I don't get how CC can over throw a target like this, but he did.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Depends on depth and need at both positions. We have the Georgia transfer at TE coming in next year.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

From what I've seen Graham wants to throw all kinds of packages at you. It would be much harder for a D to prepare for you. I can see a double TE package with an H back inside the 10 yard line with TEs either blocking or in the passing routes.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Yeah, I would think La'ulu time would be cut with the new TE. However, I agree that may still be his niche. I can imagine situations where there's two TEs. 6'6" is there, but I think he needs to be 20-25 lighter. And he would still be effective at that weight. But that would mean giving up DE position.

Correct on the "happy part," you can just see it on his face and his teammates. Good things can happen when players are happy.

This lead to the topic of transfers. It looks like a few players are not happy and want to transfer out. I'm sure they all talk in the locker room. I wonder if this had an effect on some of the games. Dare I say it. In the New Mexico bowl, all the bad apples left. And what's left are guys that want to be there. The result was a win. And at many times, the team look awesome.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

He definitely has the skills and the potential.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

TheDuke wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:45 am From what I've seen Graham wants to throw all kinds of packages at you. It would be much harder for a D to prepare for you. I can see a double TE package with an H back inside the 10 yard line with TEs either blocking or in the passing routes.
Watched Iowa St use a double TE and destroyed Oregon in the Fiesta Bowl. I can envisioned packages being drawn up for double TE's to utilize Turner, Hunter and Johnson

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I still would like to see Laulu as DE because he really moved well laterally in 2019 and showed signs of that in 2020 in rushing the passer. He looks like he could really shut down the sweeps and triple option teams like the military teams.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

in this defense you are either a DT or a stand up DE/LB. He has been playing a DT in a 3 DL alignment. Graham wants speed on the edge and Lauulu isn"t fast enough to fill that role. We haven't played a true DE except on obvious passing downs when we sub a DT with a rush down lineman.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/03/ ... 1081d0bc6f

From the Star-Advertiser....
UH also is adding a tight end into the mix as an on-line blocker, a linebacker hunter on screens, or as a receiver. The Warriors signed two tight ends and moved Jonah Laulu from defensive end. “Just adding another blocking surface (tight end) forces the defense to defend another gap,” Graham said. “If we can establish a run game and demand more respect with a tight-end-type body, then we’re going to be throwing to wide-open receivers.”

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Laulu did pretty good in the Houston game.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

If he can help with the run game I am all for it. I feel he could play on either side of the ball and could also be used on D in a pinch. Good to a player like that on your traveling squad.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Wish he could play both.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/03/ ... component/

From the Star-Advertiser....
>> Tight ends: In practices, defensive end Jonah Laulu impressed with his quickness and agility. Laulu worked out at tight end in practices leading to the New Mexico Bowl, then played there in the game, scoring a touchdown. “I think he’s going to cause (defenses) some problems,” Graham said. “He’s trouble one-on-one out in space versus a linebacker. I’ll take him in that matchup, and I’ll also take him in the box blocking those D-linemen and linebackers.”

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1375869607223828480